Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Arizona Cobra's (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/arizona-cobras/)
-   -   Anniversary/Christmas Charity (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/arizona-cobras/139320-anniversary-christmas-charity.html)

Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB 09-06-2017 03:35 PM

Anniversary/Christmas Charity

Dr Bruce Nelson has been our go between with the Phoenix Childrens Hospital Charity for the last 3 years. Thank you Dr Bruce and are we still on target for the same charity this year? Need to know for us guys who buy a red wagon every year.

Thank You
AZ Bob

nniets 09-06-2017 09:03 PM

Yeah - I already got one!

DrDuc 09-07-2017 08:38 PM

Didn't know if you wanted to find a women's shelter or some similar charity that doesn't get the coverage PCH does or stick with PCH and wagons? Let me know how you feel about this.

Phx Mike 09-07-2017 08:41 PM

I am sure the Sunshine Acres Children's Home out in Mesa would really appreciate our support and those kids would love to see the cars.

mikiec 09-27-2017 04:34 PM

Phx Mike,

Here is an idea. Many years ago we got together to show up to a Hospice center. It was a hit with everyone.

You might want to contact the children's home and make arrangements for the gang to show up for the kids.

Knowing these soft hearted old grouchy people they would love it.

Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB 09-28-2017 09:28 AM

Dr Bruce is looking into alternate donation recipients other than PCH. Personally, I would prefer the gifting be towards kids and toys as we have had with Toys for Tots and Phoenix Childrens Hospital.

AZ Bob

Danr55 09-28-2017 04:45 PM

Mike, if you recall, that was a specific request from a woman for her husband. I'm not sure that the Hospice would take kindly to a bunch of rumbling sports cars showing up on a weekend to take folks for a ride... So far, Sunshine Acres in Mesa is the best idea I've heard as an alternate to PCH..

mikiec 09-28-2017 05:06 PM

Dan,

I did not mean for the group to show up at the Hospice center. Just another idea for a group gathering or as an alternative to PCH.

Mike

DrDuc 09-28-2017 08:48 PM

Bob has been the direct contact with PCH the last few years and PCH is fine if no has another idea, but it might be nice to fine a children's home or shelter that could use our donations more. Seems PCH gets all the attention and I am sure there are lots of needy groups with children that don't benefit as much. I don't know anything about Sunshine Acres, but if you all think that is a good charity, I'm all for it. Let's see if we can get some more ideas so we have some selection?

DrDuc 09-28-2017 08:59 PM

Bob has been the driver in coordinating things with PCH over the last few years and has done a great job. I was thinking there may be a shelter or center that doesn't get the big coverage some of the the places like PCH does. If anyone has any ideas, besides PCH, let's discuss it. PCH does appreciate the wagons and those are easy to get as opposed to figuring out toys for different ages and such, so maybe that's the best way to go.

Phx Mike 09-29-2017 01:44 PM

Got it. Sunshine acres is a children's home (essentially and orphanage for kids whose parents have died or abandoned them). I am sure they would appreciate small gifts and seeing us in our cars. Open to other ideas too - I won't call them until/unless we agree.

Mike

Danr55 09-29-2017 01:53 PM

If we go with Sunshine Acres, the owner of the Chevron Station on Recker and McDowell has been trying to get a gathering of Cobras there for a couple of years.. I can set that up IF Sunshine Acres is where we decide to go.

mikiec 09-29-2017 06:47 PM

Mike? Can you find out the ages of the kids and what are their needs?

Mikiec

Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB 09-29-2017 07:31 PM

Had dinner tonight with Margy Bons, Executive Director of MAM (Military Assistance Mission). https://www.azmam.org/ She suggested we consider donating to Operation Santa Claus http://givetotheclaus.com/ With all proceeds going to 4 charities listed. Just an alternate and could be developed for 2018. Again, a large operation. Perhaps a smaller charity would be more rewarding.

AZ Bob

Phx Mike 09-29-2017 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikiec (Post 1430901)
Mike? Can you find out the ages of the kids and what are their needs?

Mikiec

Mike good idea - will advise as soon as I get in touch with them.

Mike

Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB 10-05-2017 01:11 PM

Thanks for your interest and help Mike. Any contact with Sunshine yet? Our time is growing short for arrangements, flyer, announcements, emails, collection centers, transportation, etc. Would like to nail down our charity before end of October so we can promote.

AZ Bob

Phx Mike 10-05-2017 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB (Post 1431110)
Thanks for your interest and help Mike. Any contact with Sunshine yet? Our time is growing short for arrangements, flyer, announcements, emails, collection centers, transportation, etc. Would like to nail down our charity before end of October so we can promote.

AZ Bob

Not yet have been in Europe all week. I will connect with them next couple of days though.

Phx Mike 10-13-2017 08:04 PM

Guys I got in touch with Sunshine Acres. They would love to have our support - but - they have a lot of donations around the holidays and a lot of visitors too. What they would really like is for us to come out on Saturday the 13th of January. They get all kinds of Christmas donations and everyone comes out to see the kids around Christmas and then "poof" they get nobody coming out and no donations. So if we are interested they would love to have us come out and they can provide a list of what they need. I would like get back to her next week.

Mike

Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB 10-13-2017 10:21 PM

Thanks Mike. That sounds very interesting. I kind of like it. Might be a cold day. The concept, recipients, timing, age range, location all seem right. We'll wait a week or so for feed back from members pro or con and see if your suggestion is our new beneficiary.
I haven't heard anything from PCH.
AZ Bob

Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB 10-14-2017 05:34 AM

Mike, next conversation with charity, ask what we can start gathering since most of our items show up at Anniversary Party December 2nd.
Thanks again
AZ Bob