Default Sorry to See Bondurant Chapter 11

https://autoweek.com/article/car-lif...n=awdailydrive

AZ Bob
Old 10-04-2018, 12:06 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427
Not Ranked     

How could someone start a Go Fund Me for Bob? Lots of Cobra supporters out there I'm sure who value the contributions he has made to the sport and to the history of the marque

Seems to be a popular process for raising money. A lot of less deserving people have been very successful in raising a great deal of money.

I for one, would be willing to contribute.

Cheers
Greg
Old 10-04-2018, 12:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Darn, I am sorry to see that. I hope that they can work something out.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 10-04-2018, 12:37 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by my427cobra View Post
How could someone start a Go Fund Me for Bob? Lots of Cobra supporters out there I'm sure who value the contributions he has made to the sport and to the history of the marque

Seems to be a popular process for raising money. A lot of less deserving people have been very successful in raising a great deal of money.

I for one, would be willing to contribute.
C'mon, Bob Bondurant is 85 years old -- you think he's actively hustling new business? The article says the company is millions in the red. Lee Iacocca couldn't turn that business around because people just don't want to pay for that service anymore. It's a dinosaur, a relic, its time has come and gone. You'd be better off taking that contribution and sending it in here so the forum software can get upgraded and so the damn site doesn't crash as much.
jolsen42 likes this.

Last edited by patrickt; 10-04-2018 at 12:40 PM..
Old 10-04-2018, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I'm sorry to see it but the shift from GM (Corvette) to Dodge (Viper,even after they announced the discontuation) did not bode well.

I've been to the 4 day class and the advanced class twice, and had a blast. Advanced is great, it's all track time.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:21 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427
Not Ranked     

The concept of supporting the man and supporting a business venture can easily be separated, at least in my mind

Wondering how Speed Vegas is doing? An updated relic? A passing fad?

Cheers
Greg
Old 10-04-2018, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bob is at the school most every day! I really hope they can pull through this and keep going but I also hope this doesn’t add to Bobs stress level! If any of you have thought about going to his school, now is the time! The weather is cooling off and it’s a perfect time of year to go through it.
Sorry for the shameless plug but I know Bob and just had to throw that in there!
Larry
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:16 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

How 'bout a GoFundMe site for the creditors that are going to get stiffed to the tune of cents on the dollar thanks to our bankruptcy laws.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

I went to the four day course when it was at Sears Point in the ‘80’s. Mustangs and formula Fords. Great experience. Sorry to see them in trouble.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427, 5.0
Not Ranked     

I also had attended one of the courses over 10 years ago. Great experience. But how a company does financially is dependent on its management. It is not in trouble due to major storms destroying the facility or some other disaster out of control of the company. Management got it to this position. And its management will either turn it around or not. It would be a true loss as a resource for all of us want-to-be race car drivers in the past and the future. But it is a business, not the end of the world.

Just because you are a great artist does not always transfer to being great at running a business to teach others how to be the same.

Coming from Silicon Valley and working for many "startups" I served in transition management rolls many times. I personally believe that sooner or later, every great management team needs to accept that a new team needs to be in place to move the company forward. Times and markets change and so must the mission of the company.

No dis-respect Bob. He is a truly great driver. And his success in the seat of the Cobra has much to do with all of our passions for the marque. But the world continues to evolve and so must a business to continue to be relevant.

At 66, I realize that I am not as sharp (no need for you guys to reinforce this, lol) as I used to be. But, to quote Dirty Harry, "A man's got to know his limitations".
Old 10-05-2018, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

"A man's got to know his limitations".

Good Lord, ain't that the truth, but so few of us are willing to recognize them.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 396 Windsor Stroker (Formerly: Unique 427 powered by a 351W with mysterious innards)
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Bebout View Post
"A man's got to know his limitations".

Good Lord, ain't that the truth, but so few of us are willing to recognize them.
I've recognized mine for too long, and I regret it. Now it feels like I'm getting my effing nosed rubbed in 'em.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:54 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've always been better at recognizing it in others.