• 1 Post By DrDuc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2018, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK3/302/570 street avenger
Not Ranked     
Default Oil pan threads stripped

The threads in the oil pan plug hole have been stripped. Is there an easy fix ?
I've been using Permatex as a precaution, but I'm not sure it will hold anymore.
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2018, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Scottie, you could try an oversized, self-tapping bolt, or better yet, use a larger tap to cut new threads and then use a larger sized bolt. Looks like you've got plenty of "meat"to go larger. I'd put grease on the tap, to collect most of the metal chips. Also useing a flexible magnet or a magnetic drain plug should pick up any remaining debris. Being at the very bottom of the oil pan should make it very unlikely that any of the chips would get circulated.
1795 and cycleguy55 like this.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

I second Karl's suggestion. Should not be too difficult to do and a way more permanent solution.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 468ci 550HP + 150HP NX Matching Shelby GT500 650HP
Send a message via AIM to Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB
Not Ranked     

Used this in my 1973 Continental with a 460 and it worked for 2 years until I sold it: http://tinyurl.com/yakvascc
If you need a more permanent fix I would re-thread with new oil pan plug: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YooDILhzgtY

AZ Bob
Old 10-09-2018, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Scottie, take your oil plug to a NAPA and they should be able to fix you up with a tap and larger plug, try for a magnetic one.
The expanding plug BobB talked about would also work, but I like the rethread method better.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 427SO
Not Ranked     

This is the proper way to repair those threads.

++ TIME-SERT Official Threaded inserts for stripped threads, blown out sparkplugs,

Ted
Old 10-09-2018, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Just pull your pan, drill to the next larger tap drill size, tap the fresh hole with the correct size tap install a short thread bolt of the same thread pitch and diameter, clean the metal chips out of the pan reassemble and don't worry be happy.

When you tap or drill and tap with the pan on the engine you will put drilling or tapping metal chips in the pan. The oil pump will pick them up, run them through its gears doing some level of damage then flush them on up to the oil filter. Oil filters do not filter 100% of the oil sent to them. The have a bypass valve built in that bypasses a very significant amount of the oil sent to them on each cycle.

If the chips in the bottom of the pan go to the oil filter and get bypassed, their next stop is your engine bearings and well, we sort of know how that story ends.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
Just pull your pan, drill to the next larger tap drill size, tap the fresh hole with the correct size tap install a short thread bolt of the same thread pitch and diameter, clean the metal chips out of the pan reassemble and don't worry be happy.

When you tap or drill and tap with the pan on the engine you will put drilling or tapping metal chips in the pan. The oil pump will pick them up, run them through its gears doing some level of damage then flush them on up to the oil filter. Oil filters do not filter 100% of the oil sent to them. The have a bypass valve built in that bypasses a very significant amount of the oil sent to them on each cycle.

If the chips in the bottom of the pan go to the oil filter and get bypassed, their next stop is your engine bearings and well, we sort of know how that story ends.

Ed
Curious on when the bypass valves (aka safety valve) located in oil filters started bypassing oil as part of their day to day job? Historically their function has always been to prevent oil starvation in a clogged filter condition.
I should mention the bypass valve setting like on the Wix 51515R I use which 8-11 psi, is the differential pressure the valve will open at (In psi VS out psi).

Last edited by spdbrake; 10-09-2018 at 11:34 AM..
Old 10-09-2018, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdbrake View Post
Curious on when the bypass valves (aka safety valve) located in oil filters started bypassing oil as part of their day to day job?
When the differential pressure across the valve exceeds the seating pressure the filter manufacturer designed into the valve. In real life this is most of the time the engine is running. A portion of the oil Is bypassed and a portion of the oil is filtered

Quote:
Historically their function has always been to prevent oil starvation in a clogged filter condition.
That is one of the functions. The other is to bypass the oil volume the filter is incapable of filtering because it exceeds the flow capacity of the filter element. When the flow capacity is approached the differential pressure across the bypass valve causes it to open and bypass the filter element.

Quote:
I should mention the bypass valve setting like on the Wix 51515R I use which 8-11 psi, is the differential pressure the valve will open at (In psi VS out psi).
You are correct. As soon as the differential pressure hits that 10 to 15 psi window the filter bypass opens up to drop the pressure by bypassing the excess oil. The unfiltered oil that has bypassed the filter element goes directly to the engine bearings for lubrication purposes not back to the oil pan — hence the risk.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Curious on when the bypass valves (aka safety valve) located in oil filters started bypassing oil as part of their day to day job? Historically their function has always been to prevent oil starvation in a clogged filter condition.

The by-pass (relief) valve is an integral part of the lubrication system. By-pass valves are designed to allow oil flow to the engine components when the oil is cold, or if the filter becomes plugged. By-pass valves can be located in the lubricating system or in the lube filter.

Under normal operating conditions, the by-pass valve will not be open. When the by-pass valve does open, the oil flows directly to the engine to prevent oil starvation and damage to the engine components. Each by-pass valve is set to open at a predetermined pressure differential.

There are two conditions that will cause the by-pass valve to open:

Engine Starts - When the engine is started and the oil is cold. Cold oil does not flow through the filter element as freely as when it is warm. This causes the pressure differential across the filter element to increase and the by-pass valve to open. The by-pass valve will close once the oil is warm and the pressure differential across the filter element drops below the by-pass valve pressure setting.

Plugged Filter – A filter will become plugged if the oil is contaminated, or the filter is not serviced according to the maintenance schedule. Once the filter becomes plugged, the by-pass valve will remain open. This allows unfiltered oil to lubricate the engine components, preventing engine damage from oil starvation.

Remember that filters are manufactured to meet engine requirements, including by-pass valve opening pressures. By selecting a filter designed to work with your equipment, you are providing the best possible filtration protection.

Source: Baldwin Filters | Tech Tips

Last edited by cycleguy55; 10-09-2018 at 01:57 PM..
Old 10-09-2018, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I agree Brian.
I have noticed quite a few filter manufacturers are making filters without bypass valves Fram and Wix for example. Not all applications mind you but it does give a viable option for folks who don't feel the need for them as clogged filters are more a thing of the past.
I guess in theory you could see an increased oil pressure over what the cold oil reading your used to IF the filter bypass was kicking in help in the past. Since the oil pump pressure regulator is doing all the work it was designed for.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I agree Brian.
I have noticed quite a few filter manufacturers are making filters without bypass valves Fram and Wix for example. Not all applications mind you but it does give a viable option for folks who don't feel the need for them as clogged filters are more a thing of the past.
I guess in theory you could see an increased oil pressure over what the cold oil reading your used to IF the filter bypass was kicking in help in the past. Since the oil pump pressure regulator is doing all the work it was designed for.

Wix has a good filter look-up system at WIX Filters - Products Catalog Home

The standard Ford filter is a Wix 51515. When you look at its specifications you'll see the bypass valve is 8-11 PSI.

Product Specifications

Part Number: 51515
UPC Number: 765809515154
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Enhanced Cellulose
Height: 5.197 (132mm)
Outer Diameter Top: 3.661 (93mm)
Outer Diameter Bottom:
Closed:

Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20
Burst Pressure-PSI: 290
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Last edited by cycleguy55; 10-09-2018 at 02:05 PM..
Old 10-09-2018, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I've got one of these on all my vehicles...

https://www.ezoilchangevalve.com/sto..._Products.html

Makes draining a breeze, no worries about stripping threads, the thick rubber gasket allows orientation with the stem up or to the side.

Highly recommended.

Steve H
SPF 1764
Old 10-09-2018, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Wix has a good filter look-up system at WIX Filters - Products Catalog Home

The standard Ford filter is a Wix 51515. When you look at its specifications you'll see the bypass valve is 8-11 PSI.

Product Specifications

Part Number: 51515
UPC Number: 765809515154
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Enhanced Cellulose
Height: 5.197 (132mm)
Outer Diameter Top: 3.661 (93mm)
Outer Diameter Bottom:
Closed:

Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20
Burst Pressure-PSI: 290
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Yup Wix makes great stuff. I had that info in my 1st questions Ed above.
I use the 51515R since it has a better gpm flow rate.
Part Details
Old 10-09-2018, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 396 Windsor Stroker (Formerly: Unique 427 powered by a 351W with mysterious innards)
Not Ranked     

All good info and I agree with it. Still, I'd opt for Karl's solution. NAPA should be able to provide a slightly over-sized self tapping replacement plug that will work fine. Screw it in the first time, then take it right out and use a magnet to capture any shavings from the pan. (And for God's sake, always get two or three turns on the bolt before using a wrench! You don't need to tighten it like a head bolt either. A stubby handled ratchet and the strength in your wrist is plenty.) And if the shavings get into something sensitive, well, you wanted an excuse to get a bigger engine anyway.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFMK2
Not Ranked     

J B WELD THAT **** ,WHO CARES ABOUT CHANGING OIL ............But if it was me pull pan do it wright ,you will always be worried.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1983, 427W, IRS, Wilwood brakes
Not Ranked     

Put away the scotch when you're changing the oil and you won't strip the threads in the first place
Gaz64 likes this.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A helicoil insert is the easy way out, and will be stronger than original.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 10-10-2018, 01:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Fresh 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

If you're going to tap the hole, use a thread forming tap. They are "chipless."
You could also use a helical tap (slow spiral), they tend to bring the chip out
of the hole, but sometimes chips do tend to get inside when the tap reaches
full thread diameter at the bottom of the hole.