17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-21-2020, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT4, Iconic 427
Not Ranked     
Default Az title and registration

Just took delivery of my new BD RT4 and will title in AZ. Since this is the first time being titled I have several questions. I’ve read where AZ will assign a new VIN and will need to do an inspection. Will I need a Level II or Level III prior to registering. Just trying to avoid waiting in line and being told I need something else by the DMV (bureaucracy). Thanks for your help.
Old 08-21-2020, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Cobra RT3, Roush 427R Crate Engine, Tremec 6-Speed Transmission
Not Ranked     

JRJBDR,
I posted my experience in registering my BDR a few years back. As following:

I recently purchased a new Backdraft Cobra out-of-state. Getting Title and Registration with Historic Plates was rather straightforward at the Scottsdale DMV. I drove the vehicle from my home directly to the Class 1 Inspection Area at the DMV. (I had a 15 day temporary out-of-state license.) The inspection took just a few minutes with the inspector confirming the mileage and the VIN and very little else. I then proceeded to the main office and awaited my turn to meet with a DMV rep. I had an ADOT Title and Registration Application Form filled out (Make-Roadster, Body Style-Convertible, Year-1965, Model- Cobra). (Application Form readily available on the ADOT website). I also had my out-of-state Title (titled as a 1965 Cobra Roadster--an MCO-Manufacturers Certification of Origin--would have also worked), Proof of Insurance, and Final Sales Receipt. I asked for Historic Plates. No questions asked. I did pay for two years registration at a cost of $35.25 per year and I had to pay AZ State Tax as the purchase out-of-state involved no tax payment. All accomplished within a two hour period on a Thursday morning. I hope this helps those seeking Title and Registration in the future.

You can search "Arizona Registration" and get more info.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

You will need certificate of origin and receipts for the BDR, motor and trans. I you haven't paid AZ sales tax, they will charge you when you register.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 306 Ford Racing Holley carb.
Not Ranked     
Default Arizona Registration.

I had a similar situation in Tucson. Very cursory. Mostly finding and verifying the chassis numbers. The inspection can be done on a flat bed. The engine was not run. They took about 10 minutes looking and about 15 minutes in a back room probably eating donuts. If the car is to be driven down get a 3 day permit on line. Statute says windshield wipers but they didn't test nor say anything. I think a lot has to do with who you get as an inspector.

With COVID DMV is taking pre-visit sign ups. The last thing you want is to go and then the inspector is out. Only the main office does these. Go Early, be the first there. Good luck.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS427 View Post
You will need certificate of origin and receipts for the BDR, motor and trans. I you haven't paid AZ sales tax, they will charge you when you register.
Agree with Mark.

And if this is a brand new car you will need a Level 2 inspection, not level 1. Go to the Scottsdale DMV - they seem to know how to handle the specially constructed vehicles. They only do level 2 inspections on certain days - call to check - and you cannot make an appointment. You also cannot do it at the 3rd party shops. Show up well before the opening time and line up your car at the inspection area. THEN - after the inspection they will give you paperwork, you go in the main entrance and take a number, and you get your title, registration and plates.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks. BTW.... I have build #2088.....
Old 10-30-2020, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Registration done

Here is the process..... Take all of your paperwork to a MVD inspection
station. You need a Level II inspection. You can schedule and appt online. Don't be late or they will turn you away. They will assign a new AZ VIN to the vehicle and put a AZ VIN sticker on the firewall. You can then proceed with their paperwork to a 3rd party MVD agent (I used L and J in Scottsdale). They will charge you the tax and registration and take care of everything else. You can also make an appointment online for L and J. It was fairly painless considering the car had not been titled before and was new from the manufacturer. Make certain you notify your insurance carrier of the new AZ VIN so that they can register your coverage with the state. Otherwise you will get a letter suspending your registration until coverage can be established. I'm done and enjoying my new BD RT4 on the streets and roads of AZ.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

CONGRATS!
Look forward to seeing you at one of the get togethers.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Build 1361, Iconic 427
Not Ranked     

Level 2 inspection. They assign new AZ VIN. Titled as a 1965 Ford, Special Construction