• 1 Post By Bob K
  • 3 Post By twobjshelbys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2021, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Quality of life in Arizona

I hope this is ok to post here as it doesn't pertain to Cobras. I'm just wondering if any of you have re-located to Arizona for relief of arthritis. I live just outside of Chicago and have just retired at 60 years old and have arthritis through my whole body. It gets more and more painful each year and I'm considering moving to a place with a more stable climate. If you have arthritis and moved to Arizona because of it, have you noticed a difference? Was it worth the move? Anyone near Mohave Valley? Any recommendations?
Old 10-31-2021, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Well, my wife and I lived in Arizona in the 70s. But we now live in Vegas. My wife would definitely say that the desert heat in the summer helps her arthritis and was a primary reason we moved here from Colorado. The cold was just too much.

We nearly moved to Phoenix in 1990 but the job situation changed after 9 months so we ended up in Colorado. When we retired and decided to leave Colorado in 2013 it was a toss up between going back to the Phoenix area (probably Queen Creek area) but decided on Vegas instead because we had very old and good friends here. Climates are very similar though.

Part of the reason we decided against it was that the valley had changed so much between 70s and 90s and even more to 2010s. Vegas is changing fast too though.
Bruce.huling likes this.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

We don't have much really cold weather here but it does get hot in the summer. You need to stay hydrated, especially in the summer. Every year you hear of someone dying in the desert because they're not used to the heat and they don't drink enough water. Don't know if or how it effect arthritis. At least you wouldn't have to put up with the freezing cold!
Larry
Old 10-31-2021, 07:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

One of the things about the continental US is that in most of the lower 48 you're going to spend about 3 months a year indoors. It can be because it's cold (upper midwest and northeast) or because it's hot (Arizona, southern Nevada). The advantage of the southwest is that while your seeking air conditioned refuge, I've never, ever, had to go shovel 2 feet of 105* off the sidewalk.

PS. A pool helps tolerate the heat. We use ours daily March to mid Oct (sometimes later).
Old 11-01-2021, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm not of retirement age but my in-laws make the trek from Minnesota every winter. they're pretty social and enjoy it a lot. I'm in Tempe and I'm from Yuma.

I would recommend taking a vacation here to really see if you like it. It's different and well, I've never shoveled snow.

We can't overstress how important it is to respect the heat though. It can sneak up on you.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone star 351w /408cu.in.
Not Ranked     

Az is a big place. Depends on where. I’m west of Phoenix, and in the summer go up north where it is warm and dry, not hot and dry. That said, cave creek or tucson or prescott have family temperate weather, or at least cool nights and pleasant mornings. Dry is better in my opinion, warm and dry even better for arthritis and other related issues. I love Arizona and drive my cobra year around. I just avoid travel in the afternoons as it can be just plain hot to the point of no fun. As a check, come here for two weeks, your joints will tell you how you feel. I can’t hardly walk in the winter in most states fwiw.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Is it cheaper to live in Nevada or Arizona? Looking at a map, I'm kinda interested in the area of the extreme Northwest Arizona or just over the border in Nevada near that same vicinity. Anybody know what that area is like?
Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Boulder city just got a nod for a good place to retire.

I dont think you'll find huge cost of living differences in the major metropolitan areas like Phoenix and Vegas and their adjacent suburbs. Housing costs are probably a larger factor. Real estate in Vegas has gone nuts. Our current value is approaching 2x what we paid in 2013. These prices are doomed to collapse. I suspect phoenix is in the same boat. I know our old Tempe house is going up fast
Old 11-20-2021, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterAnubis View Post
I would recommend taking a vacation here to really see if you like it.
I agree, but I would suggest taking 2 vacations here. One in Jan-Feb, and the other in Aug-Sept. You will get to see the 2 "opposite ends" of the spectrum as far as Phx weather patterns go.

June may be the hottest month in Phx, temp wise, but Aug and Sept are actually the most miserable summer-wise (at least in my opinion)
Old 11-20-2021, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore_rb View Post
I agree, but I would suggest taking 2 vacations here. One in Jan-Feb, and the other in Aug-Sept. You will get to see the 2 "opposite ends" of the spectrum as far as Phx weather patterns go.

June may be the hottest month in Phx, temp wise, but Aug and Sept are actually the most miserable summer-wise (at least in my opinion)
Since you asked about nevada too the same advice is true of vegas or other southern nevada areas.

We tolerate warm better than cold
Old 11-20-2021, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, BluePrint 427
Not Ranked     

Since moving here from NY my knees no longer bother me. We live south of Tucson in Green Valley. At almost 3,000 feet altitude it is several degrees cooler than Phoenix or Tucson.

Dave and SNAKE65 - still able to wear shorts
Bruce.huling likes this.
Old 11-22-2021, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

South of Tucson would be nice or north of Phoenix
Elevation does temper the summer heat
A lot of people moving into Phoenix and bringing the problems they moved away from
Cost of housing/ congestion on the roads
Water would be my concern in southern Nevada, the worlds 2nd largest man
made lake(use to be, not sure now)being drain/used so that it will approach mud puddle status
Think the mountain roads are nicer for driving in AZ, though I do have limited exposure to the northern part of Nevada
Old 11-22-2021, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The reason for throwing Nevada into the mix is because I believe that they do not tax your pension or your social security, which becomes important tome now that I just retired.
moore_rb likes this.
Old 11-22-2021, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
The reason for throwing Nevada into the mix is because I believe that they do not tax your pension or your social security, which becomes important tome now that I just retired.
Nevada has no state income tax of any kind.

Arizona's isn't all that much though.

The zero tax in Nevada became a tie breaker for us. Otherwise cost of living wise in 2013 they were similar.
ZOERA-SC7XX, moore_rb and Bob K like this.