28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2002, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Hi-ech Motorsports in Tempe

Heard they went out of business/filed bankruptcy? Is this true? What was the general consensus of the quality of their kits? I was thinking of doing a FIA when I finish my workshop out in Queen Creek.

thanks,
Alex
Old 03-20-2002, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Alex, High tec is out of business. Mike Kenney has a couple of 289 car left from high tec. His number is 520-568-3228 or 602-790-5856
Randy
Old 03-20-2002, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Randy. Can't do it right now since we are just closing on the house and the shop needs to be built first.

Its a shame, because it seemed that Hi-Tech made the most faithful replica on the market with the exact copy round tube frame and even an Al body if desired...

Thanks
Alex
Old 03-20-2002, 12:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Kirkham

Give them a call.

TT
Old 03-23-2002, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Alex,

Call me when your ready I may have one left.

Mike

602-790-5856
Old 03-23-2002, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

Hi-tech the most faithfull replica?Maybe,at least untill you see a Kirkham.
Old 03-24-2002, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi-Tech vs Kirkham

Both are very good cars.
Both companies made/make minor changes, but both can be assembled exact to original if you want to have every little problem in your car.
In short, for the look, feel, and drive of a real car, they are your choice short of paying the big bucks.

Mike
Old 03-24-2002, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Alex, I have had a hi-tech for over 2 years now. It was one of the last ones to make it out of the shop before they went under. I got my cobra out in the nick of time thanks to Mike kenney. I have seen hunrdeds of nice cobras of all makes and models and they are all really nice. I would not trade my hi-tech for any replica cobra including the new csx and kirkam cobras. In my opinion the hi-tech cobra has some features that give it an edge over even the new csx or kirkam cobras. Mike is the right guy to deal with as far as considering a hi-tech goes. good luck, scott.
Old 03-24-2002, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Guys. I'll keep Mike in mind if I can get the shop built soon, I would rather wait awhile and build the master shop I've always wanted rather than settle for a smaller, cheaper version...

Alex
Old 03-24-2002, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

Mike-I'm sure you know the name Terry Adams.I was present every step of the process with his build.If he did NOT have a lathe,mill,band-saw and tig welder in his garage and he had a job(he's retired,so unlimited time)the kit would still be in pieces.

The end result was a very nice car.Better than a lot of replicas.Better than a Kirkham?Not on this planet.
This car required an incredible amount of time and modification to become what it is.

If someone is hell-bent on a Hi-Tech,then Mike would seem to be your man.

Scott,i've seen a boat-load of replicas myself.Unfortunately,the majority are junk/scary and/or dangerous.CMC/fiberfab comes to mind.
I just don't understand how you can say ALL the cars you've seen are really nice.
Old 03-24-2002, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Most of the cobra owners out there are proud of their cars, so I would never call any of them junk. Their are lots of cobra's that have been finished nicely with different name brands. I don't know anybody that has gone thru the build process and not had some cutting and pasting along the way. The kirkam cobra is an exceptional car but again, in my opinion, it is not nicer than a well put together hi-tech cobra like mine. scott
Old 03-24-2002, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Scott is right.
It is not my place to pass judgement on anyones car.
Cars are built at different levels for different customers.
If the only thing on the market was a Rolls Royce we would all be walking. Thanks to Ford and others I can drive to work.
Cobras are the same way some are really nice, some are affordable, some have good brand names, and some don't.
As for Mr Adam's car I do not know the name. If it is and early Hi-Tech Replica? His is a one off hand built(ie. custom work required). If is is an early Hi-Tech Motorsports (Some of the same) If it was built between 1996 and 1998 it may have some (VERY FEW) minor assembly probelms but for originality it can not be beat. I have been to Kirkhams shop. I have one of there cars in my shop, it is a great car but as I mentioned it has some changes as did the Hi-Techs. I say all this mainly to set the record straight about the Hi-Tech product. I have three Hi-techs which I bought from customers after I quit Hi-Tech. I want to keep two for myself one 427 and one 289 so I only have one to sell. If I have to keep all three oh well I have the space in the garage anyway.

Mike

PS Just my thoughts.

OH YEAH MY 289 CAN BEAT YOUR 427

now thats a discussion.

Last edited by MIKE KENNEY; 03-24-2002 at 04:30 PM..