21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2002, 11:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Antifreeze - What are your thoughts?

I have just read an item in "Tech Tips" about "Antifreeze Warning" and I am interested in what has been happening here in Arizona and California to those of you who have been running your cars for a year or more. The comments in this "tech tip" are rather frightening, however, I did notice that all but one responder (he is from California) are from states which have four seasons. Since I have just put antifreeze in my stock, 1993, 302HO, should I be concerned ? The "Antifreeze Warning " is VERY interesting and I suggest that everyone at least read it. Hey Gordon, have you had any experience along this line ? What do you recommend? John-Tucson
Old 03-28-2002, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SMC Motorcars 289
Send a message via Yahoo to renaissance man
Not Ranked     

What is the warning?

I have been in contact with a company that makes a product called "Pro Blend" at www.pro-blend.com Their products are endorsed and were developed for NASCAR.

They recommend 86'ing your coolant (as coolant traps heat) and replacing with Deionized Mineral Water and perhaps only a rust inhibitor. For extra cooling you can add a product (sold through AutoZone) as "40 Below". The link is to a guy "Skip Higginbotham" who has the world land speed record. He lives right here in Bastrop, TX. He swears by this stuff.

I'm going to give it a whirl this weekend.

Dave "Ren Man"
Old 03-28-2002, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     
Default PRO-BEND IS TERRIFIC STUFF

I HAVE BEEN USING PRO-BLEND ENGINE OIL ADDATIVES FOR YEARS. IT IS TOP NOTCH STUFF. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT TO EVERYONE.
________
Old 03-28-2002, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

CobraEd,

Do you use the "40 Below" product? If so, did you 86 your Antifreeze? I'm curious, they swear to me my operating temp will drop from 220 to 195 by running straight water and "40 Below".

Dave "Ren Man"
Old 03-28-2002, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

NO, I HAVE NO COOLING ISSUES, SO I DON'T USE IT, BUT I HAVE BEEN USING THEIR OIL AND TRANSMISSION PRODUCTS FOR ALMOST 20 YEARS, AND I HAVE SPOKEN TO THEM FROM TIME TO TIME. THEIR PRODUCTS ARE GREAT AND THEIR PEOPLE KNOW THEIR STUFF. IF THEY TELL YOU IT WILL WORK, YOU CAN REST ASSURED IT WILL DO THE JOB!
________
Old 03-28-2002, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There are good things and bad things that happen when you use only water with or without a wetting agent suchaas the above or by anyone else. First, if you are going to use only water, I would only use soft water to keep as many minerals out as possible, then use a rust inhibitor, or it will attack your aluminum as well as the cast iron. Why water works better is that it is able to draw more heat out of the base metal than a 50-50 blend of antifreeze. Antifreeze contains rust inhibitors and raises the boilin point of the coolant. Also if you live anywhere it will freeze you are risking busting a radiator or poping a soft plug on your block. Moorepower
Old 03-28-2002, 08:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

John

Bob B has been using distilled water with pro-blend 40 for about a year now. He has had no overheating problems and everything is fine.

Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 03-28-2002, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Determining boil over point.

Actually, Antifreeze won't raise the boiling point of your cooling system. It's main purpose is "Anti-freeze" as well as having rust inhibitors. All cars have a 50/50 ratio in them as they leave the assembly line for no other reason than nobody can determine who will buy the car and what climate they live in.

The "boilover" point is determined with the following formula:
(this will vary at altitude)
H2O boils at 212 degrees.
Each pound of pressure of your radiator cap is good for approximately 2 degrees in rise of temperature.
Thus a 19 lb. radiator cap X 2 degrees per pound =38 degrees of additional "boilover" protection.

212+38=250 degrees.

But as I stated earlier, you do need to use "Deionized water because of it's total lack of mineral salts and metals. A rust inhibitor is highly recommended.

Dave "Ren Man"
Old 03-28-2002, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR; 5.0 EFI w/ 350 hp Trickflow Kit
Not Ranked     

Waterpump lubrication is critical! Being a southern AZ guy, you're not likely to freeze up, so you may not need anit-freeze, but make sure you use something with the water to keep the pump seals lubricated.

Lyle
Old 03-28-2002, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance - Ford Big Block
Not Ranked     

I am using a product in 428FE that came highly recommended by my engine builder. It is called Evans Coolant. It completely replaces water, antifreeze, etc. Evans is a non-aqueous propylene glycol (NPG™) coolant contains no water. Boiling point is over 300 degrees. Have less than 1000 miles on new engine and summer is not here yet but Evans has worked well so far.
Old 03-28-2002, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, Mopar thingy (small block of course)
Not Ranked     

Second that opinion from Lyle. Most of the coolant additives have rust inhibitors and lubricants for the water pump. I switched to Water Wetter here in the desert and about 10% antifreeze (too lazy to drain the block yet) and temps are on average about 25 degrees cooler. Other people here use Purple Ice, 40 Below, etc.
Brent
Old 03-28-2002, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Lumberman,

Throughly impressed with the Evans Tech and the technical info that they submit. I think this idea makes much more sense than a water based system just from the standpoint that you don't have to reduce surface tension to accomodate a higher heat disipation. Furthermore, no pressure to cause cavitation under evaporation or the blowing of hoses.

Really interesting concept. I suggest everyone look at the data, it's pretty solid.
http://www.evanscooling.com

Dave "Ren Man"
Old 03-28-2002, 10:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys, the "tech tips " that I was referring to are in this site under the "Quick Forum Hop". There are an awful lot of contriversal comments from the responders. Truly, a few of them really make sense, however, I want to know what works in the real world out here in the semi-desert areas. The Pro-Blend and deionized mineral water plus a rust inhibitor sound good as does the Evans Coolant (NPG) and no water. Have any of the guys out west here had any problems with the 50/50 antifreeze blend ? I like the idea of 86'ing the water just to see what the summer time temps will be. Here in Tucson and even worse in Phoenix we will have over 90 days each year with temps over 100 degrees. The really warm days will sit about 110 degrees and cool off to a comfortable 92 at 3:30AM. John
Old 03-29-2002, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,

Sorry I rambled on. It's fun finding new ways to do things. My Step-Fater is a Chemical engineer and agrees with both the Pro-Blend product "40 Below" with Deionized Water and a rust inhibitor and is even more impressed with the Evans product. I for one, living in Austin, TX where the weather is also over 100 degrees during the summer am going to go with the Evans. It also has no pressure associated with it and is good for 10 years and 100,000 miles !

Regards,

Dave "Ren Man"
Old 03-29-2002, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I use rmi-25 and water...you can look it up with google
Old 03-29-2002, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys, I will be replacing the heads over the next two weeks and I'll give it a try when I replace the coolant. See you in Ohio at the DVSFII. John