Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2002, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Unhappy It's Gone Forever.....

A couple weeks ago I happened to be coming through Yarnell, Az. I always look for that old station thats at the end of town. Well, it has been torn down. It's really kinda sad. I love to see those old stations. Reminds me of those far gone days as a kid going in with my Dad and getting a cold Nehi and a bag of planters peanuts. I can still picture the old hound dog laying by the screen door entrance. There was always a couple older men hanging around talking about their good ole days. It never failed that one of these old gents would reach down and grab my nose and say "I gotcher nose sonny !". The smell from inside the store was that of hanging chewing tobacco and saw dust on the floor.
Thank goodness for the memories anyway.

Hersh
http://www.clubcobra.com/cgi-bin/pho...=3138&size=big
Old 09-09-2002, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Those old gas pumps !

What a cool display those would make on an estate, restored, next to a garage/mech bay !

I wonder what happens to them...probably end up as scrap.

I remember the same things, and also the scantily clad girls, in "nose art" style poses, on the shop calendar..lol
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 09-09-2002, 09:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

That sucks....

That place has been abandoned for over 20 years. It was just a matter of time. I will miss passing by there. At least I have some shots of the Cobra there.

Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 09-09-2002, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #770, Stroked 351W (393 cubes) w/ Tremec TKO-600, 3.27 Torsen locker, 'Hi-Tech' Blue w/ White Stripes, Wilwoods, Bilstein coil overs...and a big ear-to-ear grin!
Not Ranked     
Default I now what you mean, Hersch....

I never saw this station, but I understand your sentiments. There used to be an old Sinclair station along I-95 on the way to Florida from Atlanta. It was classic Americana....Dino Supreme pumps, green and white...still had the little amber lookin' 'spinners' in the top of the pumps that spun around when the gas was pumping....cool! Pumps still had the bells in them that counted off the gallons with a real satisfying 'ding-ding-ding' when you filled up!

But, the best stuff was inside...an old chest-type Coke machine where you slid the drink down the channels inside the chest after you opened up the top - had to hold the top open with one hand and slide your Nehi orange soda with the other. Then, dropped your quarter - was a dime at one time - into the coin slot and pulled the bottle up through the locking mechanism. Inside of the box was all lined with galvanized tin...you could see the zinc plating. And then there was the "Tom's Snacks" machine....big red machine that had pull handles under long rows of products. The front was glass and inside was all painted gloss white. Put your money in the coin slot and the pulled the knob under the snack you wanted. Very satisfiying 'ker-chunk' when you pulled the handle and the candy dropped down into the bin. My favorite was called 'Toms Full Dinner'...a peanut butter and hard candy thing with off-white and brown pin stripes on it. Loved 'em.....

Fat tire bicycle leaning up against the side of one of the bays....floors all black from years and years of oil drips and Dino lube dripping on them. Thousands...literally THOUSANDs of v-belts and hoses hangin' up all along the top of the walls in the service bays...this one had two bays. And the long wooden pole with a hook on the end of it to remove and replace the hoses and belts from the hooks along the top of the walls....all stained black along the handle end from years of use. I love all that stuff....the smells, the black gook on the floor, even the air hose operated bell that rang when a customer's car ran over the air hose outside.

Even that sickening lilac smelling block in the commodes in the restroom....remember those?

Man....these are pieces of Americana that are disapperaing fast every day. Get off the Interstates folks....drive the back roads and maybe you can find places like this!
WARNING: The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the management, editors, or owners. We welcome differing opinions, and recognize our responsibility to offer differing views. May cause drowsiness, restlessness, or irritability. Do not operate heavy machinery while using this product. Void in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, or where prohibited, licensed, or regulated by law. We reserve the right to limit quantities. Offer good while supplies last. No substitutions allowed. Please observe posted speed limits. Professional driver on closed course. Do not try this at home. Please wear your seatbelt at all times. Close cover before striking. Use at own risk. Please dispose of properly. Drink responsibly. Prolonged exposure to vapors has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals. Do not use this product of you are pregnant, or plan on becoming pregnant. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling fumes can be dangerous. Always wear safety glasses. In case of eye contact, flush with water and seek immediate medical attention. For occasional use only as directed. Avoid prolonged skin contact. Discontinue use if rash develops. If symptoms persist for more than three days, seek professional medical attention. Hearing protection required beyond this point. Danger: Hot surfaces. Use as directed. Proceed at own risk. Caution: Filling may be hot. Please don't litter. Actual results may vary. It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner other than as intended. Do not use this product if you have an enlarged prostate, or have difficulty urinating.

Last edited by Flyin_Freddie; 09-09-2002 at 10:11 AM..
Old 09-09-2002, 10:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Hey Freddie,
Here is one of those old ones with the bike againt the front. I believe this old station was somewhere in Oklahoma on Route 66.

Hersh

Last edited by BT SNAKE; 12-11-2008 at 08:04 PM..
Old 09-09-2002, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #770, Stroked 351W (393 cubes) w/ Tremec TKO-600, 3.27 Torsen locker, 'Hi-Tech' Blue w/ White Stripes, Wilwoods, Bilstein coil overs...and a big ear-to-ear grin!
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Yeah.....THAT'S my kinda place...!

I live in Germantown, TN....a sleepy little upscale town just outside of Memphis. Just east of us is Collierville, TN....even sleepier little town. On their town square there's an old brick service station - McGinnis Service Station - that's an old corner cut station....the service drive is cut at a 45 degree angle across the fron portion of the building. There's three ancient fuel pumps on the service island and the overhang is all brick and a part of the building itsellf...have you got the picture....?

Best part about it is that's it's still in operation! Everyday, 6 days a week!

My plan is to take some photos of #770 in front of it and submit them to our SPF Calendar guy....I know when they see my SPF in front it'll be a shoe-in for a calendar photo! I'll post pictures when I take them. Can't decide whether to take pictures while they're open for business, or waiting until Sunday when they're closed. Either way would be cool.... Any suggestions?

And under the overhang, or just outside with the building as a backdrop? Decisions...decisions.....
WARNING: The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the management, editors, or owners. We welcome differing opinions, and recognize our responsibility to offer differing views. May cause drowsiness, restlessness, or irritability. Do not operate heavy machinery while using this product. Void in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, or where prohibited, licensed, or regulated by law. We reserve the right to limit quantities. Offer good while supplies last. No substitutions allowed. Please observe posted speed limits. Professional driver on closed course. Do not try this at home. Please wear your seatbelt at all times. Close cover before striking. Use at own risk. Please dispose of properly. Drink responsibly. Prolonged exposure to vapors has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals. Do not use this product of you are pregnant, or plan on becoming pregnant. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling fumes can be dangerous. Always wear safety glasses. In case of eye contact, flush with water and seek immediate medical attention. For occasional use only as directed. Avoid prolonged skin contact. Discontinue use if rash develops. If symptoms persist for more than three days, seek professional medical attention. Hearing protection required beyond this point. Danger: Hot surfaces. Use as directed. Proceed at own risk. Caution: Filling may be hot. Please don't litter. Actual results may vary. It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner other than as intended. Do not use this product if you have an enlarged prostate, or have difficulty urinating.
Old 09-09-2002, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Freddie,
Take a bunch of different shots and send them all in. I would take the pictures in the early morning hours and a few at night with all the lights on the building if possible.

Hersh
Old 09-09-2002, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Not as old or as quaint as the ones you guys are describing, how well I remember them. The main reason I like the movie "IQ" is the old '50's station!

DV
Old 09-09-2002, 09:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the memories guys. I remember those gas pumps and the coke machine , aaah those peanuts. Here in Tucson the only remaining 1930's gas station burned down about six weeks ago. John