12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2004, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     
Question Track Days?

All,

I'm gettin close to ready for track days. Got the engine and brakes up to snuff. Got the new wheels and Toyo RA1 Tires (compromise for decent wear combined with decent track grip). Transmission is out and headed to Hughes for freshening (yeah its an automatic). Checked that the A/C still works good (oh yeah, that has nothing to do with track day, but it can sure be nice for driving). I expect to be ready before September.

What groups are Cobra-friendly? I used to run my Vette with ASRA. I also know NASA and ProAutosports are active in town. What groups have you run with and had little trouble with Tech in a Cobra (specifically short, three-point roll bar)? I really want to run PIR and Firebird West. Firebird Main is good and Firebird East is OK, but not as fun... Is AMP still in business?

Also, do I need arm restraints? I do not have a set yet. Is Snell 90 still OK?

Looking forward to some play-time. Thanks in advance to folks who can help me out.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

AMP is shut down....

NASA PASA and ASRA are all cobra friendly.

We have a number of members running PASA all the time.

I'm sure the racers will respond here shortly.

Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 07-26-2004, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5 Coupe/ carbed/ IRS/T5.air/tilt/CC.HalibrandIII's
Not Ranked     

I have a set of arm restraints I haven't used yet, (won't need them now anyway). Call or e-mail me.
mannyjoe
480-726-1794
Old 07-26-2004, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to JB34
Not Ranked     

All the groups will let you run. Pretty much your choice. I wouldn't worry too much about tech inspection if you have run on the tracks before, you know what to do to make it right. If not, call me.

If you are safety conscious, I would recommend the arm restraints, a neck support and the best helmet you can afford. PAS is very pro safety and has the best support team in this area. Larry is very proud of his team and would be glad to tell you all the specifics. Good guy too. www.proautosports.com
Next event is the St John's GP on Sept 4 weekend. Last year, this was a blast. A cobra track for sure; they take over the airport with lots of straights.

If you want PIR, you must run with the other groups as PAS does not go here. NASA is having an event there in early Sept. Check them out at www.nasaproracing.com

Asra guys are cool too. I haven't checked there site for a while. Too busy and it's been too hot. www.azsportsracing.org

I run the RA-1's and like them a lot. Guess I'll see you out there.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alum bodied CSX4266, fuel injected alloy 472, 663 hp Engine built by Dralle. Suspension by Tom Barnard
Not Ranked     

ProAutosports will let you run just about anything. They do have a good inspection team, but if you are concerned about any area, keep safety in mind. You are the one that makes the ultimate decision to put your car on the track!
Old 07-29-2004, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks for the replies

Thanks guys.

Mostly was just wondering what the groups thought about the original style roll bars. Sounds like they are OK with them. Thanks.

No one told me if arm restraints are required. Personally, I would prefer not to use them. They take a while to get used to.

I have a good helmet. Not a first timer. Used to drive '73 BBC Vette with lots'O HP with ASRA. Have also driven this particular car a few years back at Firebird (Main) and at Heartland Park (Topeka).

I will not make St Johns - will not be ready. I hear the runway is really tough on tires anyway (thats what I'll tell myself while I'm sweating over the car in the shop!!!).

Will see you guys soon though. Looking forward to some play time!!
Old 08-10-2004, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: none
Not Ranked     
Default Where in QC

Hey Bites
Where are you in QC?? We just moved in a couple of weeks ago from Mesa, and been using the corn field roads for proving grounds. Nice long and straight (ok until Oct for the real deal with turns) We need to get together and swap stories about the track. Of course we would need to call on Jim our resident expert to keep us under control.....

Keep it above 100.....................
Brian
Old 08-10-2004, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No track time for you until all the boxes get unpacked!!

Right Barb??
Old 08-10-2004, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brian,

I am North of the Hunt Hiway off 196th St (East of Sossaman). I'd like to see the green car in person. Very cool colors. When I get my tranny back from Hughes, I'll be going up to K-mart (I assume you know Karl) some Saturday as well as making some track days this fall. Would like to get together for caravans to events. Let me know what track days you plan to attend as I'd try to align my schedule to run while other Cobras are present.

As far as keeping under control, I am not sure that is totally possible...
Old 08-10-2004, 09:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra-less for now..
Not Ranked     

E.W.

You may wish to check out this thread before you decide that arm restraints are unnecessary and that the roll bar is ok:

Updates on Lew Comerford

Lew had tons of track time in his Cobra.....

Send me an email and I'll forward my phone number if you would like to discuss open track and Cobras.....

Steve
Old 08-10-2004, 09:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra-less for now..
Not Ranked     

Oh and here is more of the same:

SPF crash at Thunderhill

If you want to see the after of a wreck in one of these things:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=136119

There are the pictures of Lew's car..

I had a really high level race license when I was active in the sport (an FIA International 'B' - you can see the requirements at fia.com) and wouldn't dream of taking one of these cars on the track again. I have done it in the past, that's me on the screen savers at the Superformance website, but it made me really uncomfortable.. I do not , on the other hand, think it is a bad thing for others to do, I would just take precautions. I wore arm restraints when I drove cars that were capable of high speeds (like 180mph plus) and never even noticed them. I would be happy to help you adjust them if you like so that they work and are not irritating... I do NOT want to see any more Cobra colleagues injured - that is my only motivation.

Regards

Steve Mulvey
Old 08-11-2004, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mulv,

Thanks for posting. I read the posts re Lew's tragic wreck when it happened. Really a shame.

I'll consider the arm restraints again. I've talked to some of my friends who race SCCA Pro Miata and who have also driven other cars in the past (GT1 GT2) and they say arm restraints are no problem.

As far as the roll bar goes, I'll have to live with it for now. I really want a five point as that is required for drag racing at both tracks here in Phoenix. I plan to take it real easy for now. It has been a few years since tracking either this car or the Vette. But a five point is not in the near future as it will require extensive modification and repaint. I am not particularly competitive and just want to have some fun like I used to.

Again thanks for the input.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:56 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

I don't know anything about your setup and there are no pictures but some thoughts:

-do use the arm restraints
- do use a SIX point harness
- if you are not running full height seats, put one of the large bolt on pads on the roll bar. Look at some of the vintage photos and you will see it. Make it as large as possible. Check out Simpson. They have some footage of a body moving around on impact with a full harness, very suprising and with the low backs not only is there increased spinal injury potential but also head injury from the roll bar
- use a multizone fire system and also carry a back up fire extinguisher. remember to set the fire system off BEFORE you crash. you may not be concious to do it after
- a hans device is a good investment. neck roll if nothing else
- do wear a fire suit
- do have your cut off handy
- do wire automatic shut off to the ignition, fuel etc
- do use a fuel cell
- some padding in the right spots around the legs can be a big help.

I know you have some experience but I would take some training in your car. Seems to me that racing adventures does a shool in AZ.

Have a BALL!!! My car is so far from track ready it is scary! Not even a roll bar. Perhaps, some day.

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 08-11-2004, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve, I'm with you on safety first!! A full cage is better than a hoop and wear as much safety gear as you can get. Run with groups that have staff trained to handle emergy situations and drive within your talent.

What happened to your buddy was a sad thing but, you must agree, there are substantial differences to Thunderhill and the tracks around here.
We have shorter tracks that do not generated as high a speed.

There are no elevation changes that obstruct vision or upset the balance of the car as at Thunderhill, and I believe that this incident occurred at a very technical section with low visibility, where success depended upon many factors.

There is excellant visibility to see much of the track at ALL the local facilities and very few areas that don't have large run off areas.

Bottom line is really simple: Learn your limitations. We take our cars out in the student group (if it is HPDE 1 or 4, Red group or Green) to learn to drive them at speeds greater then allowed on the streets. Instructors are always available and eager to help accellerate the learning curve. For those guys that need more, there is the full race group.

I have been involved for only three years but have never known anything worse than a fender bender or blown motor. I hope it stays that way and we all go out for the raised adrenaline level and the comaraderie.

Steve, hope to see you out there. If not with the cobra, bring the Honda...I don't have anything against ricers.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

JB34, there are plenty of walls to hit at firebird main and PIR, not much run off area. The east and west tracks are safer as far as speed and things to hit. I have always thought that the street is unsafe compared to the track if you want to go fast. Scott
Old 08-11-2004, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Scott, you lead foot, you got me there. When you passed me on the straight at Firebird East, I thought my motor concked out. Of course, I did catch up enough to see you dirt tracking it in the sand behind turn 8 (hee, hee). Good thing for run off.

I don't know what's worse; the thought of all the concrete at PIR or some soccer mom in a suburban on a cell phone.

Where is that nice new AMP track with all the run off?
Old 08-11-2004, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Agreed with the difference between Thunderhill and the tracks I am interested in here. Firebird East and West have good runoff etc. As far as the barriers on Firebird Main, the only place I recall puckering is through the right hander at the tunnel-of-death (turn4?). I simply take it real easy through there as I never want to lose any paint.

I fully intend to refresh with school when I return to the track and I love to have instructors with me any chance I get, always have.

Bottom line is I am pretty slow and do not drive beyond my meager capabilities.

I am not competitive whatsoever and have no interest in a race group.

Really didn't mean for this thread to get so heavy. I am always concious of needing to take the car home in one piece.

BTW, several times each year I drive a buddy's 90 shifter cart that screams and I scare myself a lot more in it than in the Cobra, I just do not push that hard.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll be careful.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:25 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

Good to hear! Sounds like the head is in the right place. No one wants to see "ItBites" turn into "IBitIt"!

I always liked the turn at Road Atlanta under the bridge. Decent run off, but very discerning at first, a thrill ride to hit right!

As for the wall or the soccer mom, I think I trust the wall more. At least you can count on a wall to do the same thing all the time!

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 08-12-2004, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: none
Not Ranked     
Talking Track

Hey Jim I can't agree more the track is the safest place to get your kicks, I have seen people spin out in front of me and have had plenty of room to get by. The soccer mom, or the guy that want's to race on a crowded freeway scare me to death! I think that no matter what your skil level, or desire is you can find your nitch on the track. AND BE SAFE! we all want to go home in one piece that is what it is all about. Hey Jim I paid my AAA so if you need another tow from the track let me know

Keep it above 100.........

Brian
Old 08-12-2004, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Are you implying that my car will break down???

My car has never broken down...it has, on occasion, failed to proceed...but never did it break down!

If I buy a trailer, can I keep it at your new house?