14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2004, 07:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Question Nitrous?

In my car I'm installing an 'highly massaged' 66' 427fe s/o 600/600. I am seroiusly considering a nitrous system. Anyone using nitrous, care to share their experience?

jdog
Old 08-21-2004, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

Brother Bob has it.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: none
Not Ranked     
Cool GO GAS..............

Karl also!
Old 08-24-2004, 02:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Jaydog

I have it.

I'm using a single fuel/gas line ex the solenoids into a single fogger.

This fogger is not in a plate but drilled and tapped into the front of the Victor Jnr. manifold. You are able to buy a plate that bolts under the carby, this is a quick easy option.

Alternatively, you may select the multi fogger kit that has a number of inlet points drilled and tapped into the manifold. Giving better distribution.

The only thing that concerns me is someone pushing the gas when the engine is not running. I am in the process of having a cut out valve in the line in the cabin.

Kit Car ran an article on Gas some time ago perhaps someone can locate that article.

Is it legal in the States to have a full bottle on the road in your boot/trunk? It is illegal here in Australia.

Paint the bottle red and call it the fire system.. Officer.

Have fun and hang onnnn

Cheers

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 08-24-2004, 07:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

When is enough HP enough? There are few, if any, Cobras out there that are using the HP they have now.

Bob
Old 08-24-2004, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Somebody has the tag line that is so appropriate:
"Not that I do, but that I can". or something like that.
Ya just never know, some day I might want to go fast.
I'm using the under carb plate, twin fuel pumps, regulators, filters, and separate lines. Just jetted for 100HP so I don't have to worry too much about using colder plugs, racing fuel, or retarding my timing very much. Did have to go with an Edelbrock plate with my Air Gap manifold since the NOS plate is not suitable for dual plane manifolds. The Edelbrock plate can be used up to a 150HP shot or up to 250 with an open plenum manifold.

Why Not?
Old 08-24-2004, 11:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

Karl,

Have you turned that thing on yet (just to see what happens)?
Old 08-24-2004, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: none
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up No go gas for me!

Well I know that it made Bob's car go faster when he passed me comming back from Club Sandwich last year and that's fine with me there will always be some one faster out there, and my 429 put out plenty of power I think that it is cool, and like Karl said "I can". it's like having seat belts, you never want to use them but you will always have that option! (maybe not a good example? ) well you know what I mean.... Why run race gas right! Because it does make a diffrence.

Go for the gas!

L8R,
Brian
Old 08-24-2004, 01:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

Karl needs it to make that Chebby run.

I believe Bob is using a 300 shot. He added a separate fuel tank for the 110 stuff. He recently added a purge system to the NOS. It purges out of his windshield washer nozzles.

Mike

Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 08-24-2004, 01:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mikie,Oh my, ye of little faith. Someday, maybe I'll have to take you for a ride.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

Karl,

I'de love to go for as ride in you car. Should I bring my depends?????

Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 08-24-2004, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mikie, I have a rubber sheet for the passenger seat.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Default Anyone using the Holley "Top hat"?

It is a very low profile plate that fits on TOP of the carb/air door, adjustable from approx 75 to 150 HP. NOS of some sort is something I might consider later on, after I am sure my fuel injection will work with it (not installed yet due to my many initial "problems") The NOS is just something that might be nice to have for "emergency use"

I would assume that a computer controlled system would be best
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 08-24-2004, 10:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 468ci 550HP + 150HP NX Matching Shelby GT500 650HP
Send a message via AIM to Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB
Not Ranked     
Default Nitrous Set-up

Sorry about my late reply. I have had computer trouble:
I run an NX system with redundant safelty backups. I use a separate fuel (114 octane) system, fuel pump (Carter), regulater (Holley), filter, pressure gauge and safety pressure switch. On top of that I have a WOT switch only, MSD retard controller, Dash mounted fuel and nitrous switches, remote opener/closer switches and purge button. My 10 lb tank matches the car. My NX plate can pour in up to 300hp with the jetting supplied. I have been running 150hp and just upped it to 200hp for bragging. I have played with retard, fuel and nitrous jets, etc for a year and have yet to find just the right settings. I am currently running a 4 degree retard, way down from my 16 start all in the name of safety.
I have a lot of fun with the nitrous but not so much using it to go fast as using the purge spray for looks and showing the tank to the younger crowd at shows. You have to be going 3000rpm in 4th gear to use it safely. There's a lot of "WOW" factor but not much use for it.
I have learned a lot about nitrous in the process and would do it again just for the fun it brings.

Bob
Old 08-25-2004, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Mikiec

I don't have the purge system. But Hell it would be worth having just to purge in the city at the lights..

All in fun

Cheers

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 08-25-2004, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

Bob,

I've seen you post (this thread and the one about Speedworld Drags) about not being able to use the nitrous much due to traction problems. I have seen many light cars run way fast and use nitrous as well.

What tires are you trying to use (I hope not BFG TAs)? I would think with the right tire you could do much better (and likely be more safe). The safety comment I make from experience because I've had a BBC '73 vette for 14 years or so and found it entirely unmanageable until I put the right tire on it (I ran it over curbs twice when it swapped ends). With the right tire it now runs low 12s at 113mph and a 1.83 60'time (no nitrous and 4000 lb or so) and never swaps ends. The vette is set up for road race (springs/swaybars/shocks) and does not have a drag suspension, but the tires made an enormous difference.

I guess I should mind my own business, but I see these comments all the time about no traction and I thought I might help with a suggestion. I use M&H racemasters at the drags on the vette (and 17" yoko AO32Rs on the street). I can recommend the racemasters, but I also know folks who are very successful with the BFG Drag Radials. Karl has the right idea. Just my $.02 where it was not requested.

BTW, I'll be running Toyo RA1s on the Cobra when I show up at Speedworld next month and I think I'll have pretty decent traction. I don't think my aluminum IRS will handle DOT slicks like I run on the '73 Vette.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 468ci 550HP + 150HP NX Matching Shelby GT500 650HP
Send a message via AIM to Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB
Not Ranked     

Thanks for your input. I am a bit gunshy to use slicks for fear of breaking the next weakest link. I am also chicken to go over 120mph (I have done 119 in the quarter). I'm a bit on the old side and being cautious is perhaps a reason. I have swapped out my BFGs for Yokahama AVID which do give more traction but I still have to replace my rear tires every year????? I wonder why?
On our SPF Forum a guy with a stroked 427 did 10.23/132mph on my tires. WOW! I'm too chicken. Cluck Cluck.
I also have those Trigo pin drive spinners. Would need another pair to put slicks on at $600 per plus the tires. Ouch.
I'll just keep clucking.

Bob