12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2006, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra-less for now..
Not Ranked     
Default Buttonwillow

Greetings

A good Porschephile friend of mine is renting the track at Buttonwillow on 22 May for the day. There is room for Cobras, Trabants, BMWs, K-cars, whatever. It is really reasonable like $200- for at least 4 hours of track time. There are marshalls, an ambulance and a fire rig for the day, so it is as safe as these things ever are. Two run groups- advanced and not so advanced. The groups are not rigid, you can change back and forth. The advanced pass anywhere they like, the not so only on the straights. We have never ,ever had a contact incident in the 8 years that this has been going. So there.
Instruction is available from guys who ran in pro series in various countries including this one.
This is a really fun - low key event where the odd F40, Enzo and Pacer have been known to show up... send me an email if you have an interest.
We run the full track:

http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/

Did I mention that lunch is included?

Steve
Old 05-02-2006, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

Mulv,

Looks like you're having as much luck as I am in getting folks interested in Willow Srings...

Why don't folks want to go drive these faster tracks?

Anyhow, I'd go to Buttonwillow if I could afford two trips in two weeks, but alas, I am poor - and I really want to drive Willow Springs.

Keep the dirty side down
Old 05-02-2006, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think the logistics are difficult for some people as they do not want to drive over to Calif.
The Cali tracks are roadracing venues unlike our tracks which are really school or compromise circuits. The track guys would find that there is a rhythm to a real road course and that it is actually easier to run on the long tracks. They also may find that their cars do not overheat as much when the wind is blowing about 140 MPH through the radiator....

Steve
Old 05-04-2006, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Beck Lister-Corvette
Not Ranked     

I would love to be there with the Lister for either event but I need to stick around town until after I become a Grandpa in the next few weeks. Priorities...
Old 05-04-2006, 10:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Your grandchild won't care...
Old 05-04-2006, 10:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well maybe, but I've got big plans for him to become a famous race car driver and I have to start prepping him right away. After all they do make Recaro and Sparco baby seats.

I will be out at Firebird tomorrow (5/5). Last couple of events I have not seen many Cobras, hope some come out to play this time.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk 3 408 530 - 585 T- mustang Dyno at B&R
Not Ranked     

By the time I drove the toy over there I would need a weekend at the Camelback Inn Spa to get my body back in shape from sitting for so long. Need someone to trailer all the cars over and then drive them there with service and support, of course. We are all very high maintenance.......
Old 05-05-2006, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Call Bill - Slither - he can do that and he has a snazzy new towing rig...
Old 05-25-2006, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5 SP-2
Not Ranked     

Mulv,
It is unfortunate here that Phoenix can't seem to get it together for all the budget racing enthusiests. I'd love to see FFR Spec Racing explode out here. However, it appears that I will be building my Spec with the understanding that I must tow to the West Coast events to enjoy wheel to wheel racing.
Looks like next year for me.

Dean
Old 05-25-2006, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dean,

There is always NASA, SCCA, and Pro Autosports for your local fix of wheel to wheel racing, albeit not specifically FFR Spec Racing.

Alan
Old 05-25-2006, 09:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Blue Car
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54h
Mulv,
It is unfortunate here that Phoenix can't seem to get it together for all the budget racing enthusiests. I'd love to see FFR Spec Racing explode out here. However, it appears that I will be building my Spec with the understanding that I must tow to the West Coast events to enjoy wheel to wheel racing.
Looks like next year for me.

Dean
Hey Dean,

Too bad you missed the Cobra Bash. You could have spent all day Friday with Richard and I at the track. I go to the track in Fernley, NV from time to time. If you are ever interested, give me a shout. I am planning to go up again in mid June for a one day test & tune.

John
Old 05-25-2006, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John

It is too far to Fernley from here, that is why most are no-shows at the bash. 900 miles is too much of a tow. Miller's new track in Provo might be a possibility at 700 miles, Buttonwillow is only 500 though. Why is the WSCB not in Las Vegas where Shelby is located and there are neat things to do?

Steve
Old 05-25-2006, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

By the way, there were only 22 cars at the track for 8 hours, so it was actually pretty empty. Also it was only $200 and the hotel was $39-. A pretty good deal indeed.

Steve
Old 05-25-2006, 03:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Blue Car
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulv
John

It is too far to Fernley from here, that is why most are no-shows at the bash. 900 miles is too much of a tow. Miller's new track in Provo might be a possibility at 700 miles, Buttonwillow is only 500 though. Why is the WSCB not in Las Vegas where Shelby is located and there are neat things to do?

Steve

Hey Steve,

Yeah, Button Willow is 275 miles close. Nice track too.

You would have to ask Duane about Bash location. We have quite a few from Washington, Oregon, Canada, Kirkham boys drove 2 cobras out from Provo, and some folks from AZ and other states. Shelby missed out this year as far as I'm concerned. Pete Brock and Dick Smith traveled out too. I think we had 170+ cars at one point. I think Reno/Sparks is a good neutral location over all and they sure took care of us at the Nugget.

I hope we see you there next year.

Talk soon, John