Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2007, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M 351C 428hp
Not Ranked     
Default Need to re-title

My Cobra is titled as a 67 and the wonderful DMV would like to get it emissioned,needless to say it did not pass. On the Saturday run Mike was telling me that it could be re-titled as a 65. If any of you have done this please tell me the process and the location that you had it done. Also there is something about March 1st law changing emission rules, anyone know anything about this?
Old 02-28-2007, 01:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 Mass-Flo mild race engine
Not Ranked     

I Went To The Scottsdale Location Off Scottsdale Road And Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd...my Coupe Was Titled As A 2002 Ffr Daytona Coupe In Mass...i Told The Inspector That The Car Shows Up Iin There Books As A 1965 Shelby Daytona Coupe..he Looked It Up And There Is Was In The Books..it's The Same For The Roadster Only The Picture Shows 1965 Shelby Roadster..just Explain To Them That It's A 67 And Refer To There Information Book On This Car And They Will Find It..mine Went Thru Easily And It's A Coupe.. Dave P.S Call me if you need help..602-809-2282

Last edited by davids; 02-28-2007 at 01:13 AM..
Old 03-11-2007, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well I'm done with the DMV , my car will stay a 67 and have to get emmissions, from the book they pick which cobra yours looks like most, with the bumpers and trim they decided mine is a 67. Now to find an emission station that has a clue what they are doing
Old 03-11-2007, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR by Levy Racing
Not Ranked     

You should be in the clear as long as you have Collector Car Insurance...Anyone test the new law yet?

Emissions-test exemption for collector cars gets OK

Bob Golfen
The Arizona Republic
Dec. 22, 2006 12:00 AM

The federal Environmental Protection Agency has approved Arizona legislation that will exempt collectible cars and trucks from emissions testing in Maricopa and Pima counties.

The action will allow vehicles 15 years or older to skip emissions for registration but only if they are bona fide show cars or hobbyist items that carry collector-car insurance, which limits annual mileage and restricts use.

In reaching approval, the EPA agreed with findings from the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality that such vehicles have a "negligible impact" on air quality in the Phoenix and Tucson areas. The EPA action also approved exempting motorcycles in the Tucson area from emissions testing. advertisement

"We've been saying all along that we're not part of the problem, that collector cars produce insignificant emissions," said Bill Gilmore, a longtime auto hobbyist and legislative lobbyist for collector-car groups. "If we're not part of the problem, we shouldn't be part of the solution."

The state study counts about 7,000 vehicles statewide that meet the stipulations for exemption and about 6,200 motorcycles in Pima County. Motorcycles in Maricopa County had been part of the original legislation, but the DEQ determined that exempting the 22,000 motorcycles registered in Maricopa County would have a negative impact on air pollution.

"I think it's a good thing for collectors and motorcycle riders in the Tucson area because they really don't contribute in any meaningful way to air-quality problem we have here," said Steve Owens, director of the DEQ. "This is something the hobbyists themselves proposed, and we think this is a good way to address the question."

The exemptions bill was passed by the state Legislature and signed by Gov. Janet Napolitano in April 2005, then submitted to the EPA for hearings and study. The Western regional administrator for the federal environmental agency signed the action on Dec. 13.

The state exemptions are expected to take effect about March 1.

Gilmore was one of the leading proponents for the exemptions, which he said he has been working on since fall 2001.

"We've been waiting a long time for this to happen," he said.

He owns a 1969 Lincoln Mark III show car that is rarely driven and will be affected directly by the action. No longer will he have to struggle, Gilmore said, to get his old car to pass emissions standards that it was never designed to pass.

According to current law, all registered motor vehicles of 1967 and newer vintage must go through emissions to drive on the streets. Older vehicles, which are few in number and have no standard pollution-control devices, are currently exempt.

The EPA approval comes in the form of a proposed rule and was submitted to the Federal Register for 30 days of public comment, said Wienke Tax, spokeswoman for the EPA's regional Air Planning Office in Tucson.

"Collector cars are a fairly small niche and the law has specific recommendation," Tax said.

"It has to be a certain age and stay under a certain mileage, and you have to have another vehicle to drive to work. It can't be your primary vehicle."

John Horton, who collects Triumph sports cars from Great Britain, said his collector-car insurance has firm restrictions about how much he drives his cars and how he uses them.

"That restricts my driving to 2,000 miles a year, and they're not to be used as daily drivers or used during rush hour," said Horton, a Phoenix resident who also lobbied for the exemptions. "Which is something I would never do anyway. I don't want to tear them up."
Old 03-18-2007, 11:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Beck Lister-Corvette
Not Ranked     

Unfortunately they have not implemented the new law yet. Looks like the end of April or early May. Too bad my 1978 911 is due this month...

Some details posted at:

http://www.hagerty.com/NewsManager/t...=1167&zoneid=3

But the good thing is my Lister is registered as a 1958.

Shop around on the collector car insurance some that I have run across go all the way up to 6,000 mile/year.

Last edited by need4speed; 03-18-2007 at 11:42 PM..
Old 03-19-2007, 08:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The new law is not in effect yet and the people at the DMV had pretty much a blank stare when I asked them about it. So I went ahead and tuned down to pass emissions and it worked, but the car pretty much had to run like crap to pass. Now for the re-tuneand back to normal.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2119
Not Ranked     
Default cobra registration

I just ordered my ERA FIA and am searching for a motor. I was starting to look for a period correct 289 to help get the 65 or 66 status from the DMV,
does this really make a difference.

Any help in this direction would be appreciated. I really don't want to go through emissions nor do I want to have to have antique plates with mileage limits.

Dennis
Old 03-28-2007, 08:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As far as I know the motor does not matter, they look at a picture of the car in a book and the letter of manufacture for what the car replicates. Good Luck
Old 03-29-2007, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2119
Not Ranked     
Default registration

Hopefully someone will be able to tell the difference between a 427 and FIA.

Some car buffs don't know the difference.

dm