Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Arizona Cobra's (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/arizona-cobras/)
-   -   Smoked Wind Wings (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/arizona-cobras/89816-smoked-wind-wings.html)

Fitz 08-04-2008 03:31 PM

Smoked Wind Wings

Anyone know how to make or where to go to buy "smoked Wind Wings". I have extra set of clear but always wanted smoked to match the sun visors. Finish has only clear. Waiting to hear from glass maker if they can make.
Don't want glass but plexiglass OK. Holds have to be double distance as thickness of glass or something. You would think this would be common but it is not. %/

Haven't added anything for awhile so needed to do something.:LOL:

Mike Brasfield 08-04-2008 03:38 PM

What about the product they put on car windows to tint them? Maybe a shop could match the color of the visor and apply it to your wind wings?

Rick Parker 08-04-2008 03:42 PM

Take you existing ones and trace them on a piece of 1/4" or 3/8" smoked plexiglass. Cut them out with a jigsaw, sand & smooth the edged and carefully drill the holes. DONE!

Fitz 08-04-2008 03:47 PM

Thanks guys

tcrist 08-04-2008 04:22 PM

Take them to any plastic supply house such as Tap Plastics, Port Plastics or what ever and they can whip some up for you quick. I had Tap Plastics in Stockton make me a set of clear ones complete including material, drilling, countersinking and deburring for $25.00 a couple of months ago. Take one of yours down there and they can use it as a pattern. No sweat.

Port Plastics
3191 N. Washington Street
Suite 7
Chandler, Arizona 85225
Ph# 480-813-6118
Fax# 480-813-6183
800-395-7378
phoenix@portplastics.com

Terry

John-Tucson 08-04-2008 06:10 PM

Hey Fitz, A few years ago I looked up "Glass" in the phone book and found an automotive glass company that also made plastic items. They made me two clear wind wings for $25.00, they also drilled out the four holes and rounded the edges. I did not ask about smoked ones.

JLNanson 08-04-2008 06:25 PM

Fitz If you find some one I want a set too. Maybe also a set of visors

Dwight 08-04-2008 06:49 PM

take both to the glass shop so they will know you have a left and right wind wing. The countersunk holes are different.

Dwight

mikiec 08-04-2008 08:05 PM

Guys,

Jeff Classic will make them for you.

Mike

Fitz 08-04-2008 08:36 PM

Got a glass company that will do it right around the corner from me. Most have or can make them for you but not in smoke plexiglass or Lexan. They are pretty pricey. Now I have to decide if it blocks some of my vision. That was an after thought. Maybe doing all of them in that bronze yellow color is the way to go...

That way it will match the trailor and rumble seat!%/

Fitz 08-04-2008 08:40 PM

Jeff Classic, is that accurate. You can match the wind wings in smoke color? How much $$ for a light smoke tent. I know you can not put the tinted plastic on anything but glass because it will feel off.

Mulv 08-04-2008 09:28 PM

Two questions:

1. won't the plastic melt in the smoker?

2. Smoked glass will make your car smell like a fire sale won't it?... :o

BPWilliams 08-04-2008 09:42 PM

I bought my green plexiglass material out of Utah and made my own. I looked and looked for green visors but nobody made them, found this plastic house that sells see through colored plexiglass the same thickness as the visors on the car. I also bought some rouge for the buffing wheel for the edges and wala! made 6 sets of visors for $30.00 bucks! I am sure they sell smoke plastic....

vanoochka 08-04-2008 09:52 PM

If anyone wants to order glass wings and visors, I found a place that will supply all four pieces, custom cut with smooth edges to match your current pieces, for around $100, plus shipping. You get them in 14 days.

I ordered my wings in 44% light gray, and my visors in 28% dark gray. They will "match" but I'll still have good visibility through the wings. They can also make them in bronze. They will make them out of laminated or tempered glass and are licensed to etch a variety of Ford (but not Shelby or Cobra) logos.

If you are interested, PM me for the information.

Chuck

vettestr 08-04-2008 10:19 PM

Hi Fitz,
I stock the standard smoked visor and clear wind wings but not smoked W wings. I can get you a price if you want me too. Do you think you will be able to see your mirrors with daylight glare. I don't think there is even a chance of seeing through them at night.

What the hell am I saying .... it's a Cobra If it feels good or looks cool DO IT! These cars may not be the most sensible cars but they are the most fun. Red might look cool too.

Danr55 08-05-2008 01:39 PM

Do they come in Chebby Orange?

ground zero 08-05-2008 03:16 PM

Sounds Great !

Does anyone have any pictures of smoked wings installed, sure would like to see that, sounds like something that would look great on SPF #1967

John-Tucson 08-05-2008 05:05 PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have seen blue, red, amber, gray, green, yellow, etc. I like the clear because when I look at the car my eye picks up the color of the car and then the color of the chrome windshield, clear glass, and roadster look. To me a colored windwing interrupts the clean look of the windshield and airy feeling of going topless.

RedSnake351 08-05-2008 05:32 PM

I've smoked a lot of things in my life, but I have a hard time trying to figure out how to stuff a pair of wings into a Bong! :eek:
Ralph :MECOOL:
( Sorry, just trying to keep the subject lit, oops, I mean light!)

JLNanson 08-05-2008 06:10 PM

There is only one thing behind me that I care about Ooops 2 things Red and Blue lights and Paul G. I guess now I only have one thing thats the red and blue lights. Go Paul Go!!!