Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2008, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Oil change

Okay, it's getting time for a routine oil change and the people I had do it before are no longer around. Any recommendations for a competent guy? I live in the Chandler area.

Also I need a Motorcraft Racing oil filter for the oil change. Does anybody know of a place locally that would carry that kind of stuff in stock?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Napa sells MotorCraft Racing filters. Why not do the oil change yourself?
Old 12-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 396W Kirkham KMPS036
Not Ranked     

While I usually change oil myself, I do use a shop in Mesa for some work. Performance Clutch and Brake, 944 N. Country Club, Mesa, 480 464-4748. Bring your own oil and filter. The owner is Jake. Nice guy and lets you watch as they do it. Been real helpful to me many times.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Sandy, buy yer stuff and come on out to my casa blanca. I'll be glad to put your car up on my lift and let you, or help you, service your car. You can't beat the price unless some pays YOU to do it. I'm in East Bumbscrew Mesa, Ellsworth and Brown area.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

"...Why not do the oil change yourself?"
----------------------------------------------

Messy
A hassle
What am I gonna do with two gallons of used oil
Have to buy and store jack stands, a pan and a kreeper
Aluminum oil pans with steel drain plugs make me nervous

OTOH, its been awhile since I've changed oil myself, and like the tag says under my name, "it's a visceral experience" having the oil run down my arm and pool in the elbow of my shirt. And that smooth feeling as I strip out the threads of the oil pan is something to be remembered. Hearing the crunch of the old oil filter as I destroy it trying to get it off and watching oil flow out of it onto the floor is cool too. Maybe I'll give it a shot, what could go wrong? Hah!
Old 12-24-2008, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Karl,

Your own lift in your garage?! How cool is that! You know, I might just take you up on that. I'll bring a book of matches so I can see what I'm doing under there. Should be entertaining.

Seriously though, I appreciate the offer but I can't be coming over to your house everytime I need to change my oil. I gotta figure out something else...no wait, a lift, that's what I need! A lift in my garage -- I'm gonna talk to my wife right now! She can park her car outside to make room. Oh this is gonna be GREAT! And I'll give you all the credit because I would have never thought of it!
Old 12-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyC View Post
I gotta figure out something else...no wait, a lift, that's what I need!
Sandy, don't let these guys bug you. I do all the work on my Cobra and I don't have a lift. An aluminum racing jack and a few 2x10's cut and nailed together works perfectly. They won't collapse on you; just remember to chock you wheels. And btw, even after 30+ years of changing oil, I still can't do it without spilling (as you can see from this shot taken during my last change.... ).

Old 12-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 396W Kirkham KMPS036
Not Ranked     

Patrick has it right. I have one bay in the garage covered with large ribbed mat from Griot (pricey, there must be cheaper ones) that cures the spill issues. Zippy Zone (auto zone) will take your oil, I just pour it back in the old containers and take it there. I just jack my ERA up enough to get the drain pan under it. I can reach the drain plug without going under the car. Stripping oil drain plugs?, well a few heli coil jobs and you will not strip anymore, thats how my son learned. Give it a try.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I highly recomend Highland Auto in Chandler for any auto repairs. Call Virgil @ 480-821-5999 he is loctated @ 60 E Highland St. Which is just south of Warner and Arizona Ave. Just one note on racing filters, they are made for high flow applications therefore filter the oil at a lower micron rate than you would normaly use on a 3K service interval thus are not recomended for non-racing applications.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Karl,

One of the downsides of forums is that the tone of the message can't be transmitted. Upon reading my previous post over later I saw that it could be interpreted as sarcasm and not as a joke as I intended. It was definitely not meant as sarcasm, and I really do appreciate your offer -- it's super that you are generous enough to offer the use of your equipment and also to even help -- I just feel guilty using other people's stuff and don't want to impose. Thanks so much for the offer and I sincerely apologize for my wording.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 Mass-Flo mild race engine
Not Ranked     

My Chauffeur does my work around the garage...Dave
Old 12-25-2008, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sandy, certainly no offffffence taken. The offer stands for you as well as any of the other gangsters that want to come to God's Country.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyC View Post
Karl,

I gotta figure out something else...no wait, a lift, that's what I need! A lift in my garage -- I'm gonna talk to my wife right now! She can park her car outside to make room. Oh this is gonna be GREAT! And I'll give you all the credit because I would have never thought of it!
Get a four-post lift and you can park your wife's car under the Cobra. This would give you room for an extra car in your garage, and you'd be able to work on your car.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ACE, 351W, 3550 Tremec, Raging(?) Red W/ White Stripe.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids View Post
My Chauffeur does my work around the garage...Dave
Yeah Dave, I heard that your garage makes Jay Leno's seem like a "two-holer!"
Ralph
Old 12-30-2008, 05:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Go to Wal-Mart.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

Sandy,
Go to Walmart and buy a set of plastic ramps $39.00, an oil drain pan about $ 10.00 and go for it.
Changing your own oil, greasing a few fittings and checking fluids is a good thing. It gives you the chance to inspect the bottom of yor car in addition to cleaning eveything (picking off road kill, bugs and a little debris). It also makes you feel sort-of-like-a-mechanic-type, a real expert on Cobra maintenance.....joking.
It also gives you a chance to see if any broken parts are coming out through the drain hole..metal ..broken push rods etc.

Anyway, somebody got to do it. Bill
Old 12-31-2008, 06:21 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bess View Post
Anyway, somebody got to do it. Bill
And Sandy, take your time doing it. There's no rush. In fact, if people are bugging me, I can take all day changing the oil....
Old 12-31-2008, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Tucson View Post
Go to Wal-Mart.
NO!!!

I used to own a shop close to a Wal-Mart, and we changed more than a few oil pans that they had stripped. They hire people off the street with no automotive experience.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I guess that I am a lucky guy because of the 40+ oil changes that I have had done on my Cobras by Wal-Mart i have not had any problems. I normally stand in the shop area and talk with the guys about the Cobra. The best thing for me has been the ability to choose the oil and filter that they put in, Castrol and an FL-1A filter. These experiences have been in many states from Arizona to Ohio. I try to change the oil every 1,000 miles, on the cross counrty trips I'll go about 2,000 between changes. You are correct about them hiring guys with no automotive experience. John
Old 12-31-2008, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John, its probably a very good idea to stand there and remind them "Righty-Tighty, Lefty-Loosie".