Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Arntz/Butler Forum

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 10:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     
Default Arntz with 20" rims. Say it ain't so!

Dad's car currently has 255/60/15 tires fitted all round. They look fine on the front, but in my eye the car would look better with something a little wider on the rear. I had previously asked on the forum if it was possible to fit a 325/50 tire, and it seemed possible.

Partly to check what width could be possible, but more just for a laugh, I took the 18x8 and 20x10" rims off my Chevelle to see how ridiculous the oversize rims would look on such a classic car.

Two things surprised me.

First - the 20" rim with 29" tall 315/35/20 tire followed the shape of the rear wheel arch really well and instead of looking completely out of place, actually looked pretty good. I expected the car to look like one of those 1:18 scale model cars with enormous wheels of comical proportions, but it wasn't the case.

Second - I was amazed that even with that size wheel/tire combination, there was at least 2.5" more room available on the inside and 1.5" on the outside.

Wheel diameter aside, that means a 14" wide rear rim is possible on the Arntz. Unbelievable!!! Keep the tire diameter to 28.5" to be absolutely sure of your clearance from the tire tread to the fiberglass on the inside front of the wheel arch (the section that follows the profile of the seats).

So while Dad wasn't planning on using my 18"/20" rims for a second, it was interesting to see what size tire the rear can swallow. The 15" wheels went straight back on after the pics were taken.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow now that sits and looks really well. A very good fit.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

They fit pretty good, but the modern style of the wheels and the size...tend to give it the "Hot Wheel" look.

Remember, I'm an old guy like your dad..and stuck in the sixties.
Bill
Old 02-06-2011, 05:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Bill, if you're going to be stuck someplace there are worse places than the sixties!

After playing about with Craig's wheels it was nice to get the 15s back on again. I've toyed with the idea of going to 17s, mainly for the ability to fit bigger brakes, and also the tire range in 17s is more extensive, and cheap.

However I love the old school look of the 15s so maybe just an upgrade from
8" rims to 10s for the rear with some 295 tires would be the answer.

But, as Craig said, we were both stunned at the amount of room back there in the Arntz's rear wheel well. Just another in a long line of pleasant surprises we are discovering with this great old car.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

Yep thats kinda what Im going for...well see.... But with a larger tire ....larger diameter ..like a 27 inch tire ..to fill the well and look like more tire on the rim since they will be taller....
Old 10-04-2015, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks 750hp that cleared up a lot of things........
Old 10-04-2015, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That Arnst body looks exactly like my car ...