Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Arntz/Butler Forum

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2015, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-tech body/frame, 427engined FF5/302engined FF5 Bennett 289 & 427 rolling chassis
Not Ranked     
Default Bennett on Ebay???

Replica Kit Makes Cobra | eBay

I have nothing to do with this car/listing.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow..there are basket cases, and there are basket cases. This is definitely a real basket case.

Lots and lots of work needed there!
Old 08-29-2015, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

"Formula one frame" ????????????
Old 08-29-2015, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking for an Arntz/Butler, Contemporary Classic, ERA or Superformance Cobra
Not Ranked     

Correct me if I am wrong, but Bennett made two different chassis during his time building Cobras: an Arntz-style rectangular chassis (what is for sale on eBay, above) and a 2" round tube "space-frame" style chassis. Correct?
Old 08-29-2015, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

You are correct GVS. I don't know about this frame but I do know that Paul had a rotisserie and he could wield. He help a lot of people do their own projects and gave plans of frame to help them realize their dreams. To my knowledge there was no home made space frame projects. I have one of the space frame cars which I'm working on now to get back on road. Space frame car had a lot of interest and deposits were taken before first car was finished, price was projected on his experience building box frame cars and was not priced high enough. To Pauls credit he made sure all who ordered received what they ordered, most ordered frame and suspension with the assurance that they could count on Paul to guide them the rest of the way. Yes I do miss Paul.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-tech body/frame, 427engined FF5/302engined FF5 Bennett 289 & 427 rolling chassis
Not Ranked     
Default Yup, Paul did make two dfferent frames

The sq tube frame similar to Arntz/Butler, and Paul's own design using 2" round tube. Roughly translated in Paul's own words, the front suspension was "Indy car type"
See:"Bennett "Flyer", brochure-interesting read " thread dated 6/24/15

razorwire, photos, how far along are you? I have some of Paul's drawings/notes/etc. if you are looking for any info on the Bennett Cobra I'd be happy to share.

Attached Images

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Last edited by 427SSSS; 08-30-2015 at 04:34 AM.. Reason: additional info
Old 08-30-2015, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

427SSSS The car was run at track by Paul and myself long ago, some issue's showed up and some were addressed. Issue's that I still need to address are, need puller electric fan has pusher fans now. Machine pin drive studs to fit wheels on extra two sets of rims from Bennett and I want to be able to use Trigos and Halibrand mag wheels on car when I feel like it. When we ran car notice noise from rear and when inspected the axles were twisted, have new set to put in already. Spring rates need to be addressed. Not happy with corvette master cylinder for brakes, any suggestions? I thing fount sway bar is to stiff as the car had a hop when turning sharp corners? Better brakes available now will look into, suggestions? Paint on car has issues, one of reasons it was parked. Car has polished stainless exhaust and gets really hot, always worry someone will get burned. CSX car has special coating on exhaust and I can touch pipe when the car is running by the door but it does not look as good as stainless, and it would be shame to coat them, suggestions? Car has to be moving to steer, once slightly moving its fine, has Sweet engineering rack, maybe can make new longer steering arms? I welcome any help or suggestions you can give. As to progress I just pulled motor and going to Engines by Rex in Sacramento Monday. Its been setting for at least 12 Years. I have an older TWM fuel injection setup for it and aluminum heads but not sure if I want to go to trouble to change from four barrel on it now, the CSX car has newer TWM injection on it and it runs great. One point of worry with older throttle body is the solid casting between them as opposed to newer ones have springs between them to isolate the shafts. I called Borla who took over TWM and they gave me number of man who knows system by heart and after talking to him I may put injection on engine. He offered to help if needed when engine is tuned. I'm not very good on computer as you can tell by my choppy typing and I need sons help to post pictures, so bad I been made fun of and called trailer trash from posts about tire paint, oh well. How far are you with yours? Is pictures your car? If I can help, I will try to tell you what I know. Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

razerwire,
Wow, you raced with Paul, awesome. He was a good guy, and an amazing mechanic/engineer. He switched a rear axle on an "Advanced Chassis" Cobra for me years and years ago.
Yup, that's my car in the photos.

Paul sold his business assets eight or so years ago, the buyer never did much with it.
I picked it up a couple of months ago...427 rolling chassis, 289 rolling chassis, the molds for both, a third 5" wider in the hip, mold, chassis jig, 6" diameter roll of plans, Paul's note book, etc., all of it is the 2" diameter chassis.

The 289 is an odd duck.....289 body on one of Paul's 2" dia "space frames", it's fiber glassed to the frame. No history on where the 289 body originated.
The 427 body looks like many/most of the Arntz/Butler/Bennett cars I've seen, it looks exactly like the bodymold Tim of Fiberjet Ind. built. (Tim did not remember where/what car he made the mold off of. One obvious mold variation is the upside down (3/8" tall X 1/2" wide) "v" stiffener cast into the cowl, that get's hidden when the windshield is installed.
I'm not much of a computer guy either, it always amazes me when I can post something like a photo. And, I'm not any more that what I would consider a back yard mechanic. I'll look at Paul's stuff, see if he calls out a master cylinder.

Right now I'm building a 14' X 20' addition to the shop to fit all the molds and the jig, so have not been able to work on the car(s).
The 427 rolling chassis, well, the body is carbon fiber, so I'm going to switch it with a FF5 car I've been working on...it's running with a 351 built up to approximately a 427 cu in. Then it's just paint, interior and exterior trim.

Last edited by 427SSSS; 08-31-2015 at 04:00 AM.. Reason: added photos
Old 09-27-2015, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dan Fodge racing one of the bodies that came out of the mold that Tim Figure of FiberJet Ind made for Dan. I don't know what chassis it's sitting on. I copied the photo from Tim's office. After I purchased the mold, I called it the "Medusa" body. (I later sold that mold)

One distinct feature, that was on this mold/body was the inverted "V" on the cowl, as a stiffener, that would hidden once the windshield was installed.
The Bennett mold I recently picked up has the same inverted "V", and I've seen it on a few Arntz/Butler cars.

razerwire,

You wouldn't happen to have any photos of Paul actually racing one of his cars would you?

Last edited by 427SSSS; 09-27-2015 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: added photo
Old 09-27-2015, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Have picture of Paul in his car taking my wife for ride at one of his open house get together. Have pictures of car at thunderhill with paul but would have to really dig for those. His car was black with yellow around nose don't know what happened to his car.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

He had an unusual stripe on his car(s), as I remember. Similar to attached photo?
Please, don't go crazy looking for photos, but if you do happen to come across them, that would be great.
Attached Images

Last edited by 427SSSS; 09-27-2015 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: add photo
Old 09-30-2015, 02:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

razerwire
Not happy with corvette master cylinder for brakes, any suggestions?
I'm still looking at Paul's notes and drawings to see if he called out anything.

Yesterday, we were using a laser to level chassis jig. Set up drafting table for all the drawings.
Trying to organize shop, bring stuff inside new storage addition, opening boxes and containers that came with the purchase. (never even looked in some of them before).
I cannot believe what we found, wow, all kinds of stuff, it was like Christmas.

Razerwire, could you send a few photos of your car? (mechanicals) I got the two rolling chassis, plans up the kazoo, but a few photos of a car that's been on the road would sure be helpfull.

I met Kurt of KAL OFFROAD RACING; a welder here in town; I can't weld, but I can tell when I see good welding, and this gentleman can weld, the repairs he did to the front end of my car that the trasporter screwed up are as good as new. He builds/races 4 X 4s. He will be building the new frames. Still need a fiberglasser in the area.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Master Cylinder for brakes

razerwire,

Back in August you posted on this thread: Not happy with corvette master cylinder for brakes, any suggestions?

Here is what I found in Paul's notes, hope it helps, still looking/sorting through all the stuff.
Attached Images