Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Arntz/Butler Forum (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/arntz-butler-forum/)
-   -   Bennett chassis on Bennett jig (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/arntz-butler-forum/135422-bennett-chassis-bennett-jig.html)

427SSSS 12-07-2015 04:21 AM

Bennett chassis on Bennett jig

4 Attachment(s)
Well, finally, we got one of the chassis onto the jig, and they are a match, which I was not 100% positive that they would be. One never knows if things are as advertised until the bra comes off.

427SSSS 12-09-2015 03:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
700 miles 11-1/2 hours over last two days, but I got them home. One will in go in chassis sitting on jig. 2nd one will go in first chassis we build from scratch
They came out of a chris craft boat in Washington state.

venum14 12-09-2015 08:04 PM

Looking Good!

427SSSS- it is great to see the Bennett Cobra resurrected! Paul’s car was state of the art in the early 90’s. No other Cobra manufacturer’s chassis even came close to handle wide wheels/tires and keep them flat on the road…

427SSSS 12-10-2015 03:33 AM

Your Bennett Cobra

venum14,

So, we're neighbors? Or close to it? I'm in Atascadero, only been here 13 months, we haven't met at one of the few car shows this past year, have we?
Is there anyway I could get a look at your Bennett? Square tube or round tube? Never seen a round tube one finished. ST or RT, doesn't matter. At least some photos?

I did not originally intend to resurrect the Bennett Cobra, long, long, story, it is just sort of happening, seems like it's out of my control, so I'm just going with it.

Met a fantastic welder, here in town, who will be doing the chassis. Also several other car guys that have been a great help.

Still looking for a fiberglasser.

Wayne

venum14 12-10-2015 07:29 PM

Wayne,

My car is the round tube like the one on your jig. Razerwire and I were customers at Pauls at the same time. Razerwire was one or two chassis ahead of me, I think less than 20 round tube (space frames) were built. I will try to dig up some photos but they are on film from 20 yrs ago!

427SSSS 12-11-2015 04:47 AM

Jeff, Awsome!

I lived 20+ miles from Paul's shop, and he changed out a straight axle to IRS for me on an old "Advanced Chassis" Cobra, 12-15 years ago. I was really impressed with his work.

I don't remember seeing any round-tube chassis in his shop back then, but my memory ain't what she used to be.

Less that 20.....that's interesting, wonder where the other less than 16 are?

Old photos, great! How bout some photos of your car now?

Your and Razorwire's are 427s, correct?

This "package" came with a 289 body already glassed onto one of these round-tube frames. (after a few quick measurements is seems to be same chassis)

One really cool thing that came with the "Package" is the back half of a mold, that is 6"+/- wider than the 427s....I'm not sure what the story is there.

lakester 12-11-2015 09:53 PM

Greetings...

Hi Guys...

I was once a customer of Paul's (long, unhappy story), so I have some reference photos I took long ago of things in various stages of completion.

One set of photos is of a near-completed customer car. I took these (I think) for project planning purposes. For all I know..., it could belong to one of the guys posting in this thread.

Another set is of my frame in an early stage of construction.

I'd be happy to post any/all if anyone would find it of value.

P.S.: Please, don't anyone worry about me being a "ghost" from the past of any of these cars. It's all history to me now.

P.S.S.: Once I've had time to get my poop together, I'll be posting in the Arntz/Butler forum regarding my interest in unloading an earlier Bennett car (Arntz-type). It was sorta my "consolation-car" after Paul failed to deliver on the new frame build.

427SSSS 12-12-2015 05:41 AM

lakester,

I WOULD!

Please do, unfortunately all my Paul Bennett photos, are "stuck" in an OLD desktop computer, I think I found someone who can get them out, and then I'll just toss the old computer.

427SSSS 12-12-2015 06:28 AM

lakester,

I WOULD!

Please do, unfortunately all my Paul Bennett photos, are "stuck" in an OLD desktop computer, I think I found someone who can get them out, and then I'll just toss the old computer.

Paul was a nice guy, excellent engineer, fantastic car builder, unfortunately, he seemed to take on too much work at a time, I too, considered that he took way too long to complete the work we agreed on. I pulled my car before he finished, but the work he had done to that point was excellent.

lakester 12-12-2015 10:18 AM

Undercarriage and misc photos of Bennett chassis...

5 Attachment(s)
Will upload in groups of 5.

First groups will be of a completed car on a lift. Latter groups I'll post some of my frame, though that will probably not be of much interest...

lakester 12-12-2015 10:21 AM

Bennett chassis photos, 2nd group...

5 Attachment(s)

lakester 12-12-2015 10:31 AM

Bennett chassis photos, 3rd group...

4 Attachment(s)
The first pic in the group is the last pick of the finished car.

All remaining pics of my frame in early stages of completion. I thought I had some photos from somewhat later in the process, but can't find 'em.

lakester 12-12-2015 10:35 AM

Bennett chassis photos, 4th group...

5 Attachment(s)
misc EARLY fabrication photos...

lakester 12-12-2015 10:48 AM

Wait! There's more! (1st group...)

5 Attachment(s)
Completely forgot about this set. More customer car(s)... Again..., took these for reference...

[center]
Attachment 26914

Attachment 26915

Attachment 26916

Attachment 26917

Attachment 26918
[/center

lakester 12-12-2015 10:51 AM

even more, 2nd group...

5 Attachment(s)
(heh..., wiring was NEVER one of Paul's strong suits...)

lakester 12-12-2015 10:55 AM

even more, 3rd group...

5 Attachment(s)

lakester 12-12-2015 10:57 AM

even more, 4th group...

5 Attachment(s)

lakester 12-12-2015 11:01 AM

even more, 5th group...

5 Attachment(s)

lakester 12-12-2015 11:03 AM

even more, 6th group...

5 Attachment(s)