Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Arntz/Butler Forum

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By leroy17
  • 1 Post By decooney

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2017, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Steve Arntz, 350 Small Block Chevy
Not Ranked     
Default Is this Cobra an Arntz?

Hi Guys

I've been trying to figure out what this car is and it has been suggested by a few people that its an Arntz.

Can you guys confirm that?

Roughly what year would it be?

I know it has an IRS so i am assuming that its a Jag rear end.

I haven't seen it in person yet, hoping to see it soon.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Old 05-04-2017, 10:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Yep, it looks to be an Arntz. There are several signature indicators, wide trans tunnel up front, interior and sewing, piping, very distinctive door panels / door handles, door pockets are all Arntz signature. Low slung body shape with low shape arch behind seats and narrow top for rear quarters - not wide or extra flared like a 427 SC, more street looking shape. The side pipes with triangle bolt mounting, the obvious engine position - set way back into firewall and the distributor 1/2 exposed for chevy engine. Some had the center mount fuel cap like that, more like 289 than 427 car. The older stock fillers on Arntz cars were smaller but this may have been changed later. Note the added 1/4 sections and hood rests for hood to rest on, single hoop mount tube bumpers, typical wheels/covers back then, appears to have the original header tubes have the original style Traco air injector tubes blocked off, specific throttle linkage and steering shaft on driver over footbox looks familiar, and how the foil is placed up to the edge on foot boxes. And, of course a signature Chevy 350 engine - many came with Traco 350s. Can't see the expansion tank, but those were also a signature item on the Arntz Traco 350 Cobras. Check to see if it has the MGB front end or upgraded coilover setup, Jag differential, and the other key giveaway is the giant box "X" frame underneath. Then, weigh the car, they come in kinda heavy 2800-2860 or so with iron SBC. But, drive and feel solid when tightened up and sorted out. Can be really neat cars if sorted out well. Helped a friends on the Butler/Arntz cars. Good Luck.

Last edited by decooney; 05-05-2017 at 06:40 AM..
Old 05-05-2017, 04:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

I would say yes as well based on the same items as listed above, also external boot hinges was another trait, not only for arntz, but still.

Looks quite clean, continue to share details.
Roncal1 likes this.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Duane

Do you think you could identify they Type of this particular Arntz?
I am thinking it might be a type II over a Type II, I just get the feeling that its fairly early.

I forgot to post this additional picture of the engine bay i had that clearly shows the expansion tank.

Does that help to date the car?

Thanks in advance

Ben

Last edited by Borneoben; 05-05-2017 at 08:45 AM..
Old 05-06-2017, 07:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Hi Ben, hard for me to say as I've only worked with some of the early generation cars helping friends. The basic platform is pretty much the same all starting with the signature chassis. Take a look and see how straight the body is corner to corner, side to side, etc. Once I heard a bit of info about how some of the bodies came out of the molds funny or the bodies were stored and rested in an unsupported way while curing. One of my good buddies here locally ended up shaving the top of the front fender and messing with the rear quarters on his last car to make it what he wanted but that was just a taste thing. It was fine in its original form. The bodies on the Butler/Arntz cars are pretty thick, not paper thin, pretty and look to see how the bodies are bonded to the chassis, etc.

My only word of caution as with most Cobras is to drive it, make sure its solid, not falling apart, look underneath, make sure the glass is not coming apart in the rear inner fender wells where the body is molded to the chassis. All of these cars are old, check them over, drive it. Does it feel solid, how's it feel over a set of railroad tracks? I always stress the railroad track drive-over test, it quickly identifies the rattletraps from the solid cars. On the other hand, I'm a fan of any of the older Butler/Arntz cars because they are kind of unique, custom, special, rare, not cookie-cutter. Look at it more of being a custom car, and you can update it how you need it to be. I'd start looking closely at the chassis and suspension first, make sure it has good shocks, springs, rear support bar from the differential to the rear of the chassis, is it a coil-over converted front end or stock MGB front-end you might want to upgrade later. If you get a good price on it, might be worth it. Good Luck.

Last edited by decooney; 05-10-2017 at 05:46 PM..
Old 05-10-2017, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Finally going to see the car this evening

Thanks for the advice Duane

I will report back.

Ben
Old 05-11-2017, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just posted a bunch of pictures of the car over on my other thread.

please check them out here

Please Help Identify this Kit

Thanks
Old 05-30-2017, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Finally brought her home last Friday

Very please so far.
Attached Images

Last edited by Borneoben; 05-30-2017 at 11:10 AM..
Old 12-03-2020, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking for an Arntz/Butler, Contemporary Classic, ERA or Superformance Cobra
Not Ranked     

If it does not have the safety cage around the passenger compartment, it is a Type I
If has the safety cage and door impact beams, it is a Type II
I can see from your pictures that it does not have the drip edge molded into the body on the hood opening for weather stripping, so it is not a Type III
Old 12-03-2020, 05:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVS View Post
If it does not have the safety cage around the passenger compartment, it is a Type I
If has the safety cage and door impact beams, it is a Type II
I can see from your pictures that it does not have the drip edge molded into the body on the hood opening for weather stripping, so it is not a Type III

Unfortunately, it's not that exact. There were parallel lines, and some with different build cycles and features. Like this one, some from G&R Engineering (originally here in NorCal Sacramento) and a few versions later on from Paul Bennett with updates. Having worked closely with seven different Arntz, G&R, Bennett versions, there was more variations than consistency. Some w/wo roll bars, or rear tri-bar setups, others with different body features and flare types, yet some cars with later updates that started out as early cars.

When I went to Ron Butlers place 15+ years ago about a project, there were 4 different types there on racks, some back for updates and changes, suspension swaps and more. No debate in any case, they are a unique and cool car.

Recently helped a friend pick up his 3rd Arntz a few months ago. Good fun.

Enjoy!
GVS likes this.