Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Arntz/Butler Forum

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2005, 10:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/Butler Chev roller 406
Not Ranked     
Default Frontend, MG

Need some HELP. I own an Arntz Cobra with a old and tired MG front suspension, and want to replace it with a new double wishbone coil over unit. Any information will be a big help! Thanks, Alan (Photoguy)
Old 06-23-2005, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Alan, when I bought my old Unique Cobra, it too had the MGB front suspension setup and one of the first things I did was to swap it out for a complete coilover double A-arm assembly from Unique. It is a complete assembly including the crossmember and came with Wilwood brakes, adjustable shocks and a new steering rack and was a simple bolt on job with the exception of the supplied shock towers which had to be welded to the frame. The difference in ride, steering, handling and braking was night and day, plus I think the new assembly is a lot lighter than the old setup. There is an Arntz/Butler owner here who looked into the possibility of fitting Unique's front suspension to his car but I don't remember what the outcome was. Check out the guys on the Unique forum http://www.uniquecobra.com/default.asp .
A couple of them have upgraded their old MGB units with A-arm / coilover components from Hawk. Do a search over there or post a question for the details.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 06-26-2005, 10:00 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1980 Arntz 427W, Webers, TKO600, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

Alan, I did a new front frame clip to support C4 A-arms and coil overs. Made a 100% difference. I have pictures in my gallery.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/Butler Chev roller 406
Not Ranked     
Default MG Suspension

I'd like to thank both Buzz , and Tom, for the info on the replacement of my Arntz front end. I'm looking into what you both mentioned, and into a company here in Sacramento called "Chassisworks Inc.. Thanks again, Alan
Old 07-18-2005, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

Photoguy,

I rebuilt my MGB front end a few years back with all eurathane bushings and replaced the lever shocks because the bushing were very worn. I made mounts for a KYB tubular shock (designed for the rear of an early Corvette). After spending a lot of time getting the bumpsteer worked out, it handles much better and I can aim it precisely, now.

The drawback to this is that the steering rack boots rub on the shocks and they don't last very long. I just had the 1970 Chevy Monte Carlo rotors turned and I don't think there's enough material left to turn them again. I was able to buy new 1974 Dodge Dart calipers, but don't think I will find them again, either.

So being a "do-it-yourself" kind of guy with two kids in college, Tom's 'Vette upgrade seems the best choice. However there seems to be a lot of engineering skill required. How did you fabricate the brackets?

Buzz, the Unique upgrade sounds the easiest, but there is no mention of the part available on their website. How did you order it and what kind of price ballpark is this in?

Paul
Old 07-18-2005, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA, still in progress! Driving a 1966 Ford Mustang GT - A real survivor GT car
Not Ranked     

Photoguy,
I installed a Hawk front end conversion on my older Unique MG front end. It is a really nice setup with all tubular A-arms and adjustable coil overs. Check this thread on the Unique site and let me know if you want to talk further...

http://www.uniquecobra.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=536

Brian Carlson
bwcarlson@earthlink.net
Old 07-18-2005, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Paul, it is listed under "Kits" on the options price sheet:

41.Custom Coil-Over Front Suspension

WILWOOD Vented Rotors, WILWOOD 4 Piston Calipers, Custom Tubular A-Arms, Adjustable Coil-Over Shocks, Adjustable Caster and Camber and 5/8" Diameter Stabilizer Bar.

It really was an easy swap. Did it by myself using a floor jack and called in a welder to do the shock towers. Worth every dime.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 07-19-2005, 08:53 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by RallySnake

I just had the 1970 Chevy Monte Carlo rotors turned and I don't think there's enough material left to turn them again. I was able to buy new 1974 Dodge Dart calipers, but don't think I will find them again, either.

Paul
I put wilwoods on mine MG front end. Do a search I think the details are in the Artnz forum some where.
Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 07-19-2005, 09:56 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Paul,
I had a new front frame clip made. From the engine forward. Pictures in my gallery
Old 08-09-2005, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

Tom,

That looks like a major project. Who did you use to make the new frame?

Paul
Old 08-11-2005, 08:54 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Paul,
Paul Bennet in Freemont, Ca. did the frame back in 02'. Three months ago I went by his shop and he's gone, which is to bad because he had body moulds. I know of a guy in Boulder Creek doing the same thing on his Arntz. I'll ask him if he has drawn any plans for the new frame.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Cobra. 350 Chevy Engine, blueprinted, heads cc'd, ported, polished, manifolds matched, big valves, 1.6 roller rockers, TB Injected, mild cam, MSD crank trigger electronic ignition. TKO-600 transmission. XKE Jaguar rear. IFS by Fast Cars
Not Ranked     

Alan, did you ever do anything with Chassisworks to replace the MBG IFS on your Cobra? Would be very interested to hear back. Thanks, Arthur