Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Arntz/Butler Forum

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2007, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Arntz replica info

I am considering buying a 1979 Arntz replica with a 427 side oiler engine, jag rear end, MGB front end. The engine is a 66 with 68 heads, just a couple hundred miles on rebuild. It has been sitting for 8 years in a garage and the engine will not turn by hand. The brake and clutch cylinders need replacement. The body is in fair shape with some stress cracks, no roll bar, chrome trim or bumpers, interior vinal on dash needs replacement. Can anyone give me a ball park figure on its value or any other additional info that would be helpfull on the motor ot body? Thanks!

DDD
Old 04-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Not sure what it's worth but please keep us posted. A friend is kinda sorta interested in finding an Arntz project, since he's a Chebby guy with more mechanical ability and fabricating ability than money but really taken with Cobras.

If you don't end up buying it, would you mind sending me an email or PM?

Thanks and good luck,

Lowell
Old 04-13-2007, 09:54 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1980 Arntz 427W, Webers, TKO600, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

DDD,
Of the few items you’ve noticed that need work I would guess there are a lot more things that require fixing. My number 1 concern would be the engine. I wouldn’t pay much for an engine that can’t be started. I would not try to start that engine without help from someone who knows the correct procedure on initial start up of an engine that’s sat for 8 years. The car needs new tires. I’d probably start at around 15K with this much info. As the quality is proven the price would rise. If you can post some pictures it would help us out.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Probably a great entry-level Cobra. Would be worth it if you can get it at a good price...and don't try to start the engine, just pull it and tear it down...a rebuild will cost much less than broken parts.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 79 Arntz pictures

Thanks for your input!!! I am going to pull the plugs and inspect cylinders with a borescope. Pictures are posted on website click(my pics).

http://dougscobra.piczo.com/?cr=7&rfm=y
Old 04-14-2007, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 148 with 427 SO
Not Ranked     

now that looks like one fun project to do. pretty much all there. tear that bad boy down and just reassemble like a kit, cleaning and tweaking as you go. Too bad you don't know what is going on inside that side oiler. But that would be worth a couple buck in and of itself if it is salvagable!

good luck. have fun. bring beer!

Buzz
Old 04-14-2007, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 302 GT40, T5 5sp, 9"rear end
Not Ranked     
Default This works

e-mail me I did a 1957 Austen Healy that sat for 20 years took a while but ran fine.

Tman8
Old 04-15-2007, 06:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

You can't pass up that one...great body, Jag rear, FE engine...condition looks pretty good. You just have to spend a couple of months to tear it down and recondition the components. Contemporary/Arntz Cobras were ahead of their time.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:28 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1980 Arntz 427W, Webers, TKO600, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

Looks like a great project!! Everything is there, just needs tweaking. I would suggest moving the battery to the trunk. Keep us posted on what you're doing on it.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Racing/427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Take a look at my Gallery and that is what it will look like with a little help
Sure looks familiar
Old 04-15-2007, 10:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 comp
Not Ranked     

someone had asked me for a butler hood and I now have it for him , but lost name. post and will get to you, and like I said before no charge just want to help get your car on road.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/Bennett, FE with lots of shinny parts that make it go fast
Not Ranked     

From what I can tell from your pictures the car doesn't look to bad........actually it's more complete than mine was and I paid $18K in '97 (but my motor was fresh and ran).

I would suggest that you verify the engine by casting numbers and visual inspection that in fact it is a 427 S/O(oil gallery on drivers side of block = S/O) . At this point since the engine doesn't turn over no telling what condition the engine is in. In the end best (necessary) to pull the engine and check it out.
So what does the seller have to say about the condition of the car? Why has it been sitting 8 years?

good luck,
Mike
Old 04-16-2007, 11:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Monster, I'm working on an Arntz/butler car, set up for BB Chevy we have a 428 for it instead, what did you do to get your 427 to fit?
DDD's engine compartment looks diffrent than ours. We did some measuring tonite and the mounts need to move foward at least 5" for the head/exaust to clear the foot wells on either side.
than motorcycle gangs.

I don't have the key to succuess, but I can pick a lock.
If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

"If you play with a thing long enough, you will surely break it..."
Old 04-16-2007, 11:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     

I think the Butler/Arntz is a nice car. I just can't get past the interior. The body is a nice shape but the interior needs work. A fairly easy fix though. Good luck.
John
Old 04-17-2007, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

DU.. I agree, the body is nice, but converting from chevy to ford is becoming a pain, I dont mind fab'ing stuff, but I really dont want to cut up the foot wells, esp on the driver side.. then the foot controls need to move and it snowballs from there.
than motorcycle gangs.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default arntz cobra

Howdy,

Just finished an Arntz type 4 model. Have some parts available. Pretty sure I have a roll bar, amybe some side curtains, etc. Let me know.

Dan
Old 04-17-2007, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Dan,
Type 4?.. where is this info, I'd be interested in knowing what model I'm working on.
than motorcycle gangs.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default type4

KZJim,

Steve Arntz started building replica cars in 1972 in South San Francisco. Steve is and always will be an R&D man. He'd build a car, drive it for an hour, then tear it apart again. This went on consistently. By the time I met him in about 1989, he had a shop at Sears Point. There he was working on, what became known as his "TYPE 4". This moniker came from years of development of previous models. Each model became more refined, and in Steve's opinion, better. I would have to agree, having seen some of his early models, not that they were not good examples. Steve's goal was to build the best and more importantly, the safest cars available.
Somewhere in those years of development, he brought Ron Butler on board for development purposes. Hence the Arntz/Butler forum. They later split, but they're individual cars are pretty identical. The Type3 cars were the last with Ron Butler being involved.
In his last few years of Cobra building at Sears Point, he built about 16 Type4 cars, only a hand full made it to the streets. He cut up many of the rest to test new ideas, such as cutting one car in half, to widen it for more comfort.
The one thing that everybody agrees on, is that Steve was light years ahead of any other replica builders. He never sacrificed quality for price. If you could see a Arntz car, next to pretty much any other manufacturer, you would see the difference in quality and safety features, many of which are incorporated in other cars today.
I bought one of his Type4 cars in the late 80's. I'm ashamed to say that I only finished it about 6 months ago! Truth be known, I only really worked on it for the last couple of years.
As far as changing to an FE motor, from the Chevy they were set up for, no big deal! I not only changed mine over, for the sake of originality, but I moved the motor back about three inches, for better weight distribution. I'm also running a top loader 4 speed. I do have to admit, I had to redo the foot boxes to accomodate the moving of the engine rearwards. Most things I did myself, and some I farmed out.

Hope that helps,
Dan
Old 04-17-2007, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dan, is there any one or two details you can provide so I can figure out what 'type' I'm working on?
than motorcycle gangs.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/Bennett, FE with lots of shinny parts that make it go fast
Not Ranked     

You NorCal/Arntz guys need to come to the BACC breakfast sometime. I'm sure speaking for Tom and I when I say we would like to meet up and compare notes & cars. maybe the end of the month.................. weather permitting

mike