Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Arntz/Butler Forum

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 750hp

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 12:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/Butler
Not Ranked     
Default What do I have ( Mk1 Mk2 Mk3 ) ?

Hello everyone,

I've been getting help in narrowing down what type of kit I Have. I picked it up for a song on e-bay and I'm looking for as much help as I can get to Both identify and get it roadworthy. Check out my pics and feel free to chime in with your opinion.
Name:  DSCF1333.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  36.6 KB

Name:  DSCF1330.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  36.3 KB

Name:  DSCF1339.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  39.8 KB

Name:  DSCF1332.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  34.0 KB

Name:  DSCF1328.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  38.5 KB
Old 04-05-2009, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

I can't help with the identity but have never seen a raw Arntz before. Do they all have the front area finished like that or is that material used to keep the body straight and cut out when mounted?
Old 04-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Congrats on the purchase of your bargain kit. Lots of hard work ahead, but as long as you can register it, you're halfway there. If you replace or rebuild all mechanical components, you'll be in good shape. Good luck and don't cut any corners.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler with Chev 454, decently cammed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurpher@hot View Post
Hello everyone,

I've been getting help in narrowing down what type of kit I Have. I picked it up for a song on e-bay and I'm looking for as much help as I can get to Both identify and get it roadworthy. Check out my pics and feel free to chime in with your opinion.
Attachment 15089

Attachment 15090

Attachment 15091

Attachment 15092

Attachment 15093
The frame is similiar to my Butler. It is missing a lot of the reinforcement. I would guess you have an early Arnst. Look on the side of the frame at the front on the drivers side and see if there are numbers stamped there. I.E. BRI 183 013, would be: Butler Racing Inc., made in 1983, frame number 13. Butler stamped the year the frame was welded and the number of the frame. I just met a guy with an arnst and I will see if he will talk to you. He worked for Butler for a number of years.
The front end looks like the same MGB front end I have. The frame at the rear is the same too. The area where the tail shaft of the trans is has that same cut out. The front of the engine compartment looks similiar. Mine is the only one I have seen with that fiberglass crossover piece that hides all of the front suspension. You might want to talk to Ron Butler in Ojai california. 805 649 6000. He still has a lot of those parts.
Good luck
Old 04-05-2009, 10:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My opinion? You got a heck of a deal! I saw that on eBay and couldn't believe it went so cheap. Congratulations on a great project.

As for what type it is, it's an Arntz type 2. Your car appears to have the steel door guard beams and rear hoop, along with the larger cowl hoop and frame outriggers.

Welcome to the group and good luck with the project!

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurpher@hot View Post
Old 04-06-2009, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Butler24th

What do you mean the about the front crossover piece? Mine has the same thing although somebody chopped it a bit. I assumed they all had this?

Ron
Old 04-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler...488" hi-rise, dry-sump FE s/o w/stacks
Not Ranked     

Congrats on your car.....

The stamped number after the BRI represents month, year, chassis number....as mine is BRI391086 or March, '91, #86. This represents the month and year the chassis was born.

Stay on this forum, you will find out everything you need to build your car, and if you can get Jason to respond to your posts....believe him, he knows the Arntz and Butler cars better than most.

By the way, I believe the fibreglass area covering the front suspension is part of the mold. Some builders have cut away more than others but mine has it. Check my gallery, it is easy to see.

Last edited by SoTxButler; 04-06-2009 at 08:40 AM..
Old 04-08-2009, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 498
Not Ranked     

No, the fiberglass part in the engine bay is the way it is to be, not a mold part. When I built mine No. 88 couple of days ago. Ron and Bret (his Son) told me not to cut it out because it won't cool as well- I cut it out anyway but never had a problem. If you want to keep it "Original Arntz/ BUtler" you should leave it in. The cars are built like a brick **** house do not be shocked when you drive it over the scales- heavy. I put 8000 miles on mine and the doors opened as well the day I sold it as the first day it hit the road. No rattles, no paint issues- very solid. They don't need 550 HP either. BUtlers weapon of choice was a 351W, Arntz was a Chevy. They really handle great with a SB I put a 427HR in it way too much and with the engine 10 in back- tight to work on. Good luck and again congrats.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/Butler
Not Ranked     

Here's some new numbers I've found on the frame during my fab up adventure. Just an fyi for those who have contributed to this thread feel free to shoot questions about the build as I am quite proud of my progress.

Last edited by soulsurpher@hot; 11-09-2013 at 07:35 PM..
Old 11-12-2013, 03:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Looks like it is coming along nicely. I see your comment that you'd like to have the body removable for servicing. I originally wanted to go down that path with a previous car, but by the time you've mounted the body, seats, roll bar, wiring, steering column, windshield etc, you won't want to pull it apart any time soon.

The purists might have convulsions, but I had a removable front instead. With no bodywork forward of the footboxes, it made it a pleasure to sit on the tire and tinker away with the engine. Much nicer than leaning over a fender!

soulsurpher@hot likes this.

Last edited by 750hp; 11-12-2013 at 03:47 AM..