Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Arntz/Butler Forum

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 07-18-2009, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Cobra. 350 Chevy Engine, blueprinted, heads cc'd, ported, polished, manifolds matched, big valves, 1.6 roller rockers, TB Injected, mild cam, MSD crank trigger electronic ignition. TKO-600 transmission. XKE Jaguar rear. IFS by Fast Cars
Not Ranked     
Default Halibrand look alike inserts & Knock off's

Does anyone know who makes inserts like this? I know Run Butler has some vacuum formed plastic inserts but I would like metal ones like the Hurricane Motorsport ones shown here. I think these are metal. Would appreciate any leads.

Thanks,

Arthur
Old 07-18-2009, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

I've never seen anything like that befor... that just looks like the piece the wheel shop welds into the rim to make a wheel. Find you some Team III's.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Cobra. 350 Chevy Engine, blueprinted, heads cc'd, ported, polished, manifolds matched, big valves, 1.6 roller rockers, TB Injected, mild cam, MSD crank trigger electronic ignition. TKO-600 transmission. XKE Jaguar rear. IFS by Fast Cars
Not Ranked     

http://www.hurricane-motorsports.com/wheels.jsp

Tim, Thanks for your comments. Check out the link above to the Hurricane site.

Also thanks for the Team III tip. I would love a set of 17" x 9" & 17 X 11" wheels and some time in the future I may get them. When I got my Butler Cobra, I bought the suggested wheels for the car 15" x 9" & 15 x 12". And seeing that Ron Butler sold a similar Halibrand center trim piece, I was continuing in that direction, but wanted a metal verses plastic version he sold. I guess I could sell my wheels on eBay and go for the Team III. I'll have to give it some thought.

Last edited by lal Naja; 07-18-2009 at 10:30 PM..
Old 07-18-2009, 11:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I just bought a used set from Mr. Mustang from an ERA he has for sale, wheels plus inserts and knockoffs. Perhaps he or ERA itself might know of another set for sale somewhere? These were Compomotive, which are no longer manufactured.

When the inserts are done correctly it is virtually impossible to tell if the wheel is a true knockoff or a bolt on. I've had people look very closely at mine and they could not tell until I told them where and what to look for. With the bolt on Team III wheels you can tell at a glance. Plus, I prefer to have a bolt on wheel over a spinner retained wheel myself.

Last edited by Excaliber; 07-19-2009 at 12:04 AM..
Old 07-19-2009, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports #1121 427W
Not Ranked     

The ones on my Hurricane are fiberglass centers. I would like to get
a spare setup too.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
I just bought a used set from Mr. Mustang from an ERA he has for sale, wheels plus inserts and knockoffs. Perhaps he or ERA itself might know of another set for sale somewhere? These were Compomotive, which are no longer manufactured.

When the inserts are done correctly it is virtually impossible to tell if the wheel is a true knockoff or a bolt on. I've had people look very closely at mine and they could not tell until I told them where and what to look for. With the bolt on Team III wheels you can tell at a glance. Plus, I prefer to have a bolt on wheel over a spinner retained wheel myself.
Are your inserts aluminum or fiberglass?

I took a look at the Team III wheels last night and they show a neat cover that covers the lug bolts. Looks pretty nice. Unfortunately I already have wheels and tires. I'm thinking I may sell them on eBay and spring for the 17" Team wheels. But I think I will finish my build first and decide later.

Last edited by lal Naja; 07-19-2009 at 07:37 AM..
Old 07-19-2009, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyDiceRide View Post
The ones on my Hurricane are fiberglass centers. I would like to get
a spare setup too.
Wow, and I thought that the Hurricane inserts were aluminum.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:37 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lal Naja View Post
Are your inserts aluminum or fiberglass?
Cast aluminum, and there is another set up for sale in the parts section (not from me).

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-19-2009, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports #1121 427W
Not Ranked     

Name:  ERA inserts.jpg
Views: 2012
Size:  37.8 KB The ERA inserts look really nice !
Old 07-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My buddy has Team III with the cover for the lug nuts, it does a good job. A great low cost alternative.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Premier Motorsports
Not Ranked     
Default 17 inch Team III

I have Team III's on my car. 17 inch , 8 inch fronts with 11 inch rear. They have the covers for the lug nuts. Very nice wheels and would highly recommend them.

Paul
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2009, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 498
Not Ranked     

My Butler had the Plactic ones like in the picture. If they are done right andput in the correct centerline wheels they look great. I got mine from a guy in northern ca that had a plastic shop. They us to make them during their lunch hour for "mad money" They make them then spin them on a lath to make them fit perfect. Then I bought the knock off and the adapter think from Hilbrand --It was once a street rod part and they came with a chunck of aluminum that was about 8in in diameter that covered the lucg and center of wheel for a nice street rod look. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks big-boss. I think I'm going to buy a set of 17" Halibrand look-alike wheels from either PS Vintage or Team III. and forget about using my 15" Center-lines.

Arthur
Old 07-20-2009, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Paul, I'm going to take your advice and get the Team III or PS Vintage wheels. Then I can stop spending time looking for the plastic/fiberglass/aluminum inserts. And the truth is, I wouldn't be totally with the hubcap anyway.

Arthur

Last edited by lal Naja; 07-20-2009 at 05:17 PM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: