Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   How sweet it sounds (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/101136-how-sweet-sounds.html)

Pecal 11-28-2009 02:24 AM

How sweet it sounds

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d.../IMG_0595s.jpg

After a fair amount of indecision I filled the tank and hit the starter. It was almost an anti-climax when the engine burst into life. Do I feel great- you bet, the smile just won't go away.
I could only run it for a few seconds as the steering pump lines aren't finished (that will happen Monday) and I didn't want to destroy the pump with no fluid. The credit really goes to Jim (Sideshow) for the engine loom and control unit.

Peter

Krait 11-28-2009 03:49 AM

Congrats Peter.

It's a great feeling when the engine fires up and those LS donks are a sweet piece of kit.

Cheers

diegokid 11-28-2009 05:33 AM

Ls

Even if you dont want the eltronics there's a company now making a kit to run the LS Engines with a Carb and dizzy. :rolleyes:

Ralphy 11-28-2009 05:44 AM

Edelbrock has nothing but Sullivan makes a manifold,

http://www.sullivanperformance.com/Y...old/intake.htm

Sorry link is for a Ford 4.6 and 5.4 intake system. To early.....

Krait 11-28-2009 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diegokid (Post 1004826)
Even if you dont want the eltronics there's a company now making a kit to run the LS Engines with a Carb and dizzy. :rolleyes:

Interesting article on installing a distributor in a LS, Dizzy install, I understand that some racing classes in the US require a dizzy but if one is looking for that 'old school look' then this would be a winner ;)

Also Pace Performance

Cheers

Modena 11-28-2009 11:53 AM

'tis a beautiful thing!

BMK 11-28-2009 03:01 PM

Mmmm that great sound..:3DSMILE:.. now for the first drive....**)..**)

Merv and Sharon 11-29-2009 03:14 AM

WEll done Peter! A special moment that no one else can have .

boxhead 11-29-2009 04:06 PM

Congrates Peter, it is a great feeling when you first hear it come to life.

gjkrv8 11-29-2009 05:21 PM

Well done Peter, fantastic news. Sounds like you didnt have to do any troubleshooting. Shows you have done a quality job so far.

When you go to start it again with the PS Pump lines done, some advice I followed (cant remember where I got it from though) was to have the front jacked up and slowy turn from lock to lock to get the air out. Might be all crap but it worked.
I think its got something to do with not having too much resistance when trying to get the air out?

Anyway, see you on Wed to chat over a beer about it.

Rgds

Gregg

sambo 11-29-2009 05:26 PM

Well done Peter, the car looked great yesterday - and thanks again for the chance to drop in and put a face to the name finally. If only I'd called you Saturday! Have Pirtek fitted the new p/steering lines yet?

Paul

Pecal 11-30-2009 01:11 AM

The PS pump is plumbed so it wasn't long before I filled it with fluid and hit the starter. Mmmmm a beautiful sound, well mabe not that good through the asthmatic exhaust. There are a couple of glitches to sort - a tacho that sits on 400RPM and an oil pressure gauge that sits at zero. The engine didn't sieze while I played tunes on the throttle so I feel confident it is a wiring issue.
Sambo - it was great to catch up, I hope you can sort the pulley issues.
Greg, I followed your tip with the PS, I won't be at the meeting Wed. (work xmas dinner)
Thanks everyone for all your encouragement

Peter

stumpeater 11-30-2009 07:25 PM

Well done Peter! It must bring great joy to finally hear it! I am nearly at that stage too. Just a question about the intake if I may, your Alloy pipe seems to head upwards, as does mine, but I have got very little clearance on the bonnet, is your scoop hole up the front, or maybe your donk is mounted lower, is there much of a gap?? Thanks Peter.:confused:

Doubledip 11-30-2009 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pecal (Post 1005272)
There are a couple of glitches to sort - a tacho that sits on 400RPM and an oil pressure gauge that sits at zero.

set your tacho to 4 Cylinder not 8...

oil pressure sender - how is that mounted .. if the body og the sender isnt earthed then earth it.. ( other way to check is just ground the oil pressure wire to the block and see if the guage rises... if not then check that when grounding one end of the wire that the eng going to guage is measuring an earth ... if it does then it aint the wiring.. will be a sender , guage or powering of guage issue)

Pecal 12-01-2009 01:19 AM

Stumpeater - the intake elbow clears the underside of the bonnet by about 2-3cm. Your engine might sit a little more foward than mine, I had to massage the footbox with a sledge hammer on the drivers side to clear the rear spark plug.
Thanks for tips Doubledip, I'll follow your suggestions.

Peter

Merv and Sharon 12-01-2009 02:59 AM

Can you change the plugs without pulling the engine?

Merv

sambo 12-01-2009 03:33 AM

There's a bit of tolerance in these kits Merv. Mine was setup for the 6.0L but we had to lower the engine mounts to allow the bellhousing to clear the tunnel. While we were at it we moved the whole thing fwd about an inch, to improve access to the rear plugs. That's what makes my Harrison an original - its the only one like it. :)

Merv and Sharon 12-01-2009 03:36 AM

I know even with the Ford small block in the Harrison, one needs a trained snake with a spanner in its mouth to get at one of the plugs!

Merv

gjkrv8 12-01-2009 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon (Post 1005577)
I know even with the Ford small block in the Harrison, one needs a trained snake with a spanner in its mouth to get at one of the plugs!

Merv

Merv, you cracked me up with that comment.
I have to remove the headers on mine to get to the passengeger side back plug -murphys law- that was the one that was found to broken during my build.

Rgds

Gregg

Pecal 12-01-2009 12:41 PM

Merv,
I probably should fit wing nuts to the engine mounts. It'll be engine out for the rear plugs.

Peter