Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 01:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrisons # 62 302 T5
Not Ranked     
Default Too Much Information?

Merv

As Steve (Slowy) points out, there is clearly no standard approach across the country to ICV approvals and the same applies to modifications. While there are ADRs and national standards, there appears to be nothing to ensure all states and territories adopt any of these. Honestly, I don’t see this changing in the near future.

In searching around, I found this reference on boostcruising.

http://www.boostcruising.com/forums/...owtopic=472350

I know it is not a definitive source of fact but it does provide some good information and references, particularly the National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification (Feb 2006):

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa.../vsb_ncop.aspx

There are a number of documents on this page relating to construction and modification of Light Vehicles (even a few specifically relating to ICVs). Specifically, the document below includes information about supercharging and turbo charging (modification code LA3) – see page 22.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...s_3Feb2006.pdf

The requirements outlined are basically compliance with ADRs for emissions and exhaust noise as well as heat shielding, modified bonnets and drive belts. There are also some requirements around Mandatory Upgraded Safety Equipment (including requirements for Seatbelts, Windscreen wipers, Demister, Rear vision mirror … ?!?!?!?!).

Queensland Transport also has some documentation about Light Vehicle Modifications in this document:

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/reso..._vehicles2.pdf

Superchargers and turbochargers fit into the Complex category and require approval from either Queensland Transport or an Approved Person (p23). On p24, “The minimum tandards for all of these modifications are contained in the Code of Practice – Light Motor Vehicle Modifications.” This information can be found on this page:

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home...ractice/#light

In particular this document:

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/reso...n2_feb2004.pdf

which outlines reasons for rejection of modifications. Unfortunately, there is little or no reference to any ‘minimum standards’ relating to supercharging in this document.

It is worth pointing out that many of these documents include a disclaimer that the information included cannot be used as a point of law. Note also that these documents are dated. There is no way to tell whether or not these have been superseded with others.

So, given the inconsistent approach across the country and the vague documentation provided by QT, I reckon the KB supercharger would easily be approved by an ‘Approved Person’. If it approved, then it should be OK. If no approval exists and the vehicle is questioned …??$?$?$??

The boostcruising post also refers to a QT Modification Hotline (32534851), which I will ring later this morning to ask who might be able to approve engine mods (heads, cam, supercharger) and I will let you know how it goes.

From everything I have read, have an authorisation from an ‘Approved Person’ (not necessarily an engineer) for any ‘modification’ would be the way to go.

My 2.2c.

Geof
Old 01-12-2010, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Yes Geof, there is a morass of regulation in this whole area. It is less clear at a national level, as States continue to vary. The Ford Mustang 5.0L was in some cases originally fitted with a supercharger as an 'option' as well, thus that could qualify under the guidelines. I am still debating this one in my mind as I have the advice from my insurance company and the engineer that is quite supportive. I am not anxious to return to Queensland Transport for another inspection of anything! We all have traumatic memories of that initial experience - regardless of the outcome.

Similarly, I am advised that performance enhancing changes to heads, cam and/or the original induction system would normally alter the stock form of the motor and also emissions and could be in clear breach unless inspected by (less clear 'who', but I assume this to be approved engineer) the "approved person".

With all these issues in mind (I am quite happy with the answers I got from my insurance company), one would do nothing to modify the motor from its stock presentation - or alter the suspension ride height below 100mm. I wonder how many cars would be off the road with that one?

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Qt

Merv

I rang the QT Mod Hotline who were 'unable to take my call at this time'. I will 'try again later'.

The references in the documentation to performance enhancements being offered by the manufacturer are interesting. Given that you are the manufacturer of the vehicle and I am sure you considered a supercharger as an option - this then would surely comply ??!?!

Geof
Old 01-12-2010, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

It was an option on the original motor and - It's the only car I ever built too!

Blue Power in Melbourne are the Aussie agents for KB.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default QT Response

Merv

I got onto QT and the response was reasonably clear. I will summarise the information provided to me by QT.

* Any minor modifications require no approval. This might include a cold air intake, headers or upgraded ignition system. Nothing that would produce a total power increase of 10% (magic figure) from the manufacturer.
* Modifications that increase power by more than 10% REQUIRE APPROVAL - regardless of what they are. A supercharger and Aluminium Heads both fit into the same category here - Modification Code LA1.
* Approval for modifications under LA1 can be done by an Approved Person and do not specifically require QT or engineer inspection.
* Any modification must remain within limits of power increase for any given vehicle. Increases in power beyond these limits will require further modifications to other vehicle components (e.g. brakes). Approved persons can advise and approve these further modifications.
* Information relating to what power increase limits are and what is and is not allowed is included in QT documentation that is not publically available. Approved Persons have access to this information.
* Changes will be made from the beginning of 2011 whereby the mod codes and the approval process is being reviewed.

I have information on Approved Persons in your area – I will send you an email.

Cheers

Geof
Old 01-12-2010, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks again Geof. The more you know ... the more you don't know about this! Any changes to heads, cam or boost require approval. What would the approved person do? Measure emissions? That has never been done in QLD before to my knowledge. One could really open up a whole can of worms with this second inspection process, as you could find your motor never was compliant in the first place.

Mass-Flo - well that may be too obvious as well without approval.

However, the supercharger could still be on my choice list. If stopped for a police inspection then I can always say there was one there (it was an option) that I replaced with an equivalent.

Or do nothing ....

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Approved Person

Merv

My understanding from the gentleman I spoke to at QT was that the Approved Person would ensure that the power to weight ratio of the vehicle did not increase beyond some limit (not supplied) from its original ratio.

I think the Approved Person is really the one to talk to. Given the flexibility of the Approved Person's interpretation of the state's individualised view on the vague national guidelines and ADRs, I think a carton of beer would be in order for the heads and cam, two cartons for the supercharger. I will try to talk to an Approved Person down here when I get a chance.

Clear as mud.

Cheers

Geof
Old 01-12-2010, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default emissions

I often wonder about this question regarding emissions compliancy......

* If you put 25000Kms on an unmodified HSV Clubsport and then re-measure its emission levels would it still meet spec???????

I have doubts......

About the only good thing Copenhagen did was get Rudd's face out of mine! Cost all of us 1.5 million for giving us this pleasure though!

At least the new project doesn't have to meet emissions, noise OR have to comply with too bloody much!

SpookyPT.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Must be circuit only then?

Or an older vehicle?

Come on Matt, give us a bigger clue.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default O ok!

OK OK, here's a pic of the um..err...whachamethink ya call it!

THINGO.... Helps with lubrication of the smokey ole Windsor! Yep, it's FORD powered!.....!

Sorry for the hijack! Blame Boxy!
Old 01-12-2010, 11:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Merv

Geof's on the right track - just get the right person's approval signature on the right form and the bureacrats can only but rubber stamp the modifications!

Slo
Old 01-12-2010, 11:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes Stephen, I called the QT 'approved person' this afternoon and he said that with new heads, cam and Mass-Flo he does not need to see the car, according to his instructions from QT as these are within the car's original design and should not add too much power (?). For a supercharger such as the Kenne Bell he does, but only needs to see it to ensure it is fitted correctly - generally well done - and to check to make sure that the brakes and suspension are not insufficient. That is no drum brakes and no emission testing. He then issues a compliance plate.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07cob View Post

My 2.2c.

Geof
Mate - I'd give you a whole dollar for your 2.2c worth of research. Thanks for all the links. Very interesting reading. I'm especially intrigued by the use of the terms "discouraged" and "not recommended" in relation to some key areas. Seems to me that if you can back up your idea with sufficient supporting documentation for the approving officer, it's possible to gain certification for some pretty cool mods!

...or is that just wishful thinking?
Old 01-13-2010, 12:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB Cobra, Ford 2001 4.6l Quad Cam Stroked to 5.2l (ported heads, reground cams from SHM + a Kenne Bell 2.8 Charger + Intercooler) Autronic SM4 Ecu, Autometer Cobalt Gauges, Trigo 8 & 10 x 15 Halibrand Knock Offs, Goodyear Eagle Tyres
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon View Post
Yes Stephen, I called the QT 'approved person' this afternoon and he said that with new heads, cam and Mass-Flo he does not need to see the car, according to his instructions from QT as these are within the car's original design and should not add too much power (?). For a supercharger such as the Kenne Bell he does, but only needs to see it to ensure it is fitted correctly - generally well done - and to check to make sure that the brakes and suspension are not insufficient. That is no drum brakes and no emission testing. He then issues a compliance plate.
That is pretty much what I thought. QLD Transport really only care if adding a supercharger will have a negative effect on emissions. If your documentation shows that the engine modifications do not have this negative effect, you are 90% of the way there.

I know KBs come with this type of paperwork.

Last edited by Blair; 01-13-2010 at 12:48 PM..
Old 01-13-2010, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Blair. That is interesting. U have a nice installation there ! Did it make a difference? Did u get an additional compliance plate? Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Within Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
Seems to me that if you can back up your idea with sufficient supporting documentation for the approving officer, it's possible to gain certification for some pretty cool mods!

...or is that just wishful thinking?
Craig

That is certainly the impression I get from QT and from what the Approved Person Merv spoke to as well.

Of course, all of this must be within limits. I queried the QT bloke about the limits and he said that they would not provide these to the public, but the Approved Persons were aware of them. He also suggested that acceptance may be provided beyond these limits if relevant upgrades are also completed. Again, Approved Persons can advise on these.

Cheers

Geof