Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 09:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     
Default Baz and your Cobra

Hey there Baz, not sure why, but I was just thinking about you and your fine Cobra.

How is it going, you had engineering a while ago didnt you, are you enjoying the drives while it is still warm enough?
I suppose with the lack of seeing you on here, you must be out and about enjoying it.
How is the Conolley Leather holding up in the sun?

Some pics on the road would be great to see.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
Hey there Baz, not sure why, but I was just thinking about you and your fine Cobra.

How is it going, you had engineering a while ago didnt you, are you enjoying the drives while it is still warm enough?
I suppose with the lack of seeing you on here, you must be out and about enjoying it.
How is the Conolley Leather holding up in the sun?

Some pics on the road would be great to see.
Thanks for your interest Dave,

Unfortunately, the news isn't all that good. I had the Non Conforming Blue Slip (No VIN No.) issued on 23rd March and faxed all the documents into the RTA. After waiting for 2 weeks, I rang them to see what the situation was and was told that they never received my original fax.

On 8th April, I re-sent all the papers in and ensured by telephone that they actualy had them in thir hot little hands. I was told that before a VIN No. is issued, I would be notified to bring the car in for a detailed inspection by their inspectors. What' the point of having paid an engineer $2,500 for his inspection and then having to get the same thing done again? Why not just have the RTA do the inspection and save the builder that $2 1/2 grand?

That was only 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for the RTA to contact me. In the meantime I am having my soft top and tonneau cover done. When that's finished, I will post some pics.

The Cobra will probably sit in the garage for a few months as I'm having 2 full knee replacements done shortly. Other than that, everything's cool.

Baz

Last edited by Baz; 04-22-2010 at 02:19 AM..
Old 04-22-2010, 02:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

WHAAAAT ? an RTA inspection ! I think they just want a look. The engineers report IS the legal evidence that the car is roadworthy.
Man you can't win with this mob..they just make everything too bloody complicated.
Try spellcheck on RTA = rat
Old 04-22-2010, 03:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Geez Baz that is not good. We pay less than half of that for engineering and the QT crowd get to do an inspection, but it is not a full one against ADRs, as that is the engineer's brief. Those knees of yours ... well before the surgery is a good time to do any kicking of people that you have in mind!

You'll be there soon!

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

In Victoria VicRoads wanted to inspect the car too. They mainly want to visually confirm the chassis (VIN) and engine number before issuing the Rego. I had to take mine in 3 times before they issued the rego.

Good luck Baz, hope you have a result soon.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

This variation is another example of why we need to get rid of state governments ...

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Just the Qld one would be fine
Old 04-22-2010, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike View Post
In Victoria VicRoads wanted to inspect the car too. They mainly want to visually confirm the chassis (VIN) and engine number before issuing the Rego. I had to take mine in 3 times before they issued the rego.

Good luck Baz, hope you have a result soon.
A little different here Mike.

As my build has no VIN No., the mechanic who issues Blue Slips initially issues a Non Conforming Blue Slip because the car has no VIN. He then faxes the Engineers Report, the Emissions Test Report, the Weighbridge Certificate and the Non Complying Blue Slip to the RTA.

The RTA then does their separate inspection by (3) Inspectors, going right over the car for about 2 hours If they find items which require attention as a result of their inspection, they knock you back, then you have to rectify those problems then go to the end of the queue again.

When they decide to pass it, they then email/fax my VIN No., to the mechanic who issued the original Non Complying Blue slip and he notifies me by similar means of that VIN No. I then stamp the VIN No., into the chassis, take it back to the mechanic who issued the initial Non Complying Blue Slip who inspects the VIN No stamp. He then issues a Compliant Blue Slip.

I then take it and all the other papers previously mentioned plus a Green Slip to an RTA office and then I can start the Registration process and hopefully pick up my plates.

At times, I wouldn't mind living in Alice Springs. Things appear a lot simpler there.

Baz
Old 04-22-2010, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

So in NSW the vehicle actually gets 3 inspections. Engineer, Blue Slip guy and RTA.

The engineer that stings you two and a half grand is usually NOT a mechanic. His job is to ensure the vehicle is structuraly sound, stops and steers correctly, and is compliant with any relevant Australian Design Rules.

The Blue Slip guy (NSW) is the same as the RTA instectors or any other states authorised vehicle inspector. He is a mechanic with a state specific rule book uploaded in his grey matter, and should be checking that the car is actually road worthy, ie; worn ball joints, blown lamps, freyed seat belts, good bushes etc. even down to whether a hood scoop is ok in that state.

The RTA inspectors do this same job. Why then the RTA wants to do the same check is beyond me. Do they not trust their appointed blue slip guys?
Old 04-22-2010, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

Holy cow Baz, sure sounds tough in NSW.

Yep I have 4 spare bedrooms and a PO box only cost $70 for the year, anyone want to become a NT resident?

Up here the scenario in brief is.
1 - send in "Approval in principal paperwork" once recieved back all ok to start build.

2 - Aplly for Vin number at MVR - this is supplied on the spot free of charge. It is actually supplied and noted down against a persons name, not a vehicle.

3 - Vehicle requires 3 inspections during build, but because no engineers in Alice Springs, the MVR waived this requirement for me and only required teh completed vehicle inspection.

4 - Chassis number attached to vehicle.

5 - Inspection by engineer, emmisions, brakes and noise test carried out at local MVR. This consisted of test with noise meter at 2/3rds rev range at 45 degrees 1 meter from exhaust outlet in neutral standing still.
Emissions consisted of confirming engine and ecu where from a compliant donor and that all sensors are in place and that the engine trouble light is not on.
Brake test was done on rolling road in test shed.
MVR suplied paperwork stating pass or fail.
Engineer carries out his inspections and supplies written report on his inspection with copies of inspections at MVR.

6 - 2 weeks later approval paperwork arrived in mail stating all ok, take vehicle to MVR for rego inspection and register vehicle.

Oh well you will have all winter to get the rego sorted, and it will give you time for knees to come good.
Atleast you dont have a heavy clutch pedal.

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

it sure sounds a pain in NSW. What happens when you move a registered ICV from one state to another, I assume that it would be the same as any other vehicle? That being the case it may be worthwhile getting it done in another state...
Old 04-22-2010, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena View Post
it sure sounds a pain in NSW. What happens when you move a registered ICV from one state to another, I assume that it would be the same as any other vehicle? That being the case it may be worthwhile getting it done in another state...
If only.

Like NSW seems to not trust their blue slip guys, most states don't trust other states engineers and rego authorities. Moving state usually requires jumping through all the hoops again.

Last edited by David Hodgson; 04-22-2010 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 04-22-2010, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hodgson View Post
So in NSW the vehicle actually gets 3 inspections. Engineer, Blue Slip guy and RTA.

The engineer that stings you two and a half grand is usually NOT a mechanic. His job is to ensure the vehicle is structuraly sound, stops and steers correctly, and is compliant with any relevant Australian Design Rules.

The Blue Slip guy (NSW) is the same as the RTA instectors or any other states authorised vehicle inspector. He is a mechanic with a state specific rule book uploaded in his grey matter, and should be checking that the car is actually road worthy, ie; worn ball joints, blown lamps, freyed seat belts, good bushes etc. even down to whether a hood scoop is ok in that state.

The RTA inspectors do this same job. Why then the RTA wants to do the same check is beyond me. Do they not trust their appointed blue slip guys?
Its a mistery to me too David. I have been told that there were shonky Engineers who were caught out a couple of years back. They would pass anything as long as the price was right. It would appear that the current RTA practices are as a direct result of their investigations into those shonky Engineers.

I go along with their thinking which is to ensure that death traps are not put onto our road system, but on the other hand, it makes it pretty tough on us legitimate builders who have done everything by the book.

Baz
Old 04-22-2010, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hodgson View Post
If only.

Like NSW seems to not trust their blue slip guys, most states don't trust other states engineers and rego authorities. Moving state usually requires jumping through all the hoops again.
I have also heard a rumour that if you get you ICV originally registered in NSW, you won't have any trouble registering it in any other State. It's easy to see why.

Baz
Old 04-22-2010, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

Says a lot for CLUB REGO....90 DAYS driving and an upto date log book that is filled in on every occasion the car is driven.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZCOBRA View Post
Says a lot for CLUB REGO....90 DAYS driving and an upto date log book that is filled in on every occasion the car is driven.
Yes it does, but to get a car on club rego you need to have a roadworthy inspection and a car will not pass a roadworthy until it has a vin number, easy done up here but if in NSW you need engineer stuff before you can get a VIN, then your still in the same loop.

Cruising in 5th

Old 04-22-2010, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was once an authorised rego inspector in ACT, and was busted doing the driveway attendant a favour. Friday arvo I stamped his inspection sheet so he could get to rego office and pay the renewal, on the promise he would fit the replacement tyre as soon as it arrived, he didn't. Questions got asked when he went for a driving test on the monday with a bald tyre.
Lost my stamp for 6 months.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

sorry yes you are right ,I was thinking a tad ahead of myself
Old 04-23-2010, 03:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

There's an old story that goes... A hot rodder got his car engineered then passed by the RTA (NSW) then went down the road with his pregnant wife in the car and crashed. (no description to whether he was driving correctly or not) as a result the wife lost the baby... so the hot rodder sued the engineer and the engineer sued the RTA. Hence the strict rules in NSW. Fear of litigation. The RTA hates non standard vehicles. Another issue is that all the RTA technical inspectors were made redundant and relocated to office jobs. Their inspection jobs were transfered to 'blue slip/pink slip' inspectors (petrol station mechanics) nothing wrong with the latter, BUT when these mechanics phoned for confirmation or questions they are talking to the desk bound inspectors. Those inspectors are very aggressive in their reply. I've witnessed it twice. Once with a mustang I built (wheel width question) Resulting in abuse and reference to a donkeys deaf behind and the second time with my cobra regarding whether I needed roll bar. resulting in more abuse and reference to a deaf vagina ! Both times I heard this from the phone close to the callers ear. I was at least 3 feet away.