Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By 750hp
  • 1 Post By dhs.buckley
  • 6 Post By 750hp
  • 1 Post By Wazza
  • 1 Post By Buzz
  • 1 Post By madt2007

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2015, 01:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Thoughts on a Arntz or Butler

Possibly heading to the USA for a holiday this year and the thought has crossed my mind about buying a pre 1989 Cobra while I'm there and sending it back as opposed to building a Pace from here, which was my original plan.

From what I can gather is that both the Arntz and Butler are about the only that would qualify for import under 1989 ruling (apart from genuine Shelby cars which are out of my price bracket) and what I do like about the Arntz and Butlers is that they have heritage and direct links back to Carol Shelby.

Any thoughts or advice?
Old 01-09-2015, 03:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: venom motorsports /ls1 auto
Not Ranked     

come on craig & don this is up your alley
Old 01-09-2015, 03:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

You can find some older Unique Motorcars Cobras from that time period as well. Mine was manufactured in 1988. And its a proper right hand drive to boot! The beautiful thing is that Unique made/makes a great car, they're still in operation and the wonderful Weaver family that owns the company are still there and happy to support the product and treat you like you're part of the clan.

Question though - with all the costs associated with import and tarriffs, etc. is there still enough of a savings to justify the foreign purchase over the great home-grown Pace Cobra?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 01-09-2015, 05:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

The Arntz is old and the steering wheel is on the wrong side. You will struggle to find one with the required paperwork for import approval while you're there. The dollar has dropped.

Do yourself a favour. Read your own quote again and remind yourself why the AP was a good option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madt2007 View Post
Hi Graham,

I had the opportunity to visit the factory unannounced on Thursday (9/1/14) morning and met Craig for the first time.

Craig spent about an two hours showing me everything he could about the PACE 427!

The operation and what they are doing is truly amazing and surpasses everything I have seen to date.

As for not being able to contact Craig, when I was with him his mobile rang no less than 5 times and he ignored each call as he was talking to me. This showed his true professionalism towards a potential customer.

Do yourself a favour and make the effort to get to the factory and see the operation, you will be parting with your $$$ before you leave

Let me know if you need any further info from what I experienced during my short visit.

Cheers,

Dani
deano59 and Cobra01 like this.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Craig I agree the AP product is clearly the best choice for a build I do like the heritage of the Butler though, apart from the Chev lol

I did notice a few very nicely restored Butlers in the US and it just got me thinking and researching.

Butler Racing 427SC Cobra, Ferrari Red, For Sale
Old 01-09-2015, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python ford 302 ho, 4 speed toploader, jag irs 3.54
Not Ranked     

Very Nice looking machine, i can see why it sparked your interest.
madt2007 likes this.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 302 Ford HO Block
Not Ranked     

I haven't researched the car just read through the add. I doubt it's old enough to be a viable import proposition. Nice car though, you could do a lot worse than listen to Craig. Good luck with your search.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace 427 SC
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madt2007 View Post
Possibly heading to the USA for a holiday this year and the thought has crossed my mind about buying a pre 1989 Cobra while I'm there and sending it back as opposed to building a Pace from here, which was my original plan.

From what I can gather is that both the Arntz and Butler are about the only that would qualify for import under 1989 ruling (apart from genuine Shelby cars which are out of my price bracket) and what I do like about the Arntz and Butlers is that they have heritage and direct links back to Carol Shelby.

Any thoughts or advice?
Hi Mad,

Now here is a thought .

Why don't you come to the Absolute Pace Factory announced this time and ask Craig or myself if you can go for a test ride/drive.

I would be very happy for you to test ride/drive my car.

Cheers

Brad
Old 01-09-2015, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

That Butler is a very nice car at a very reasonable price. I thought it was built in the 90s (and doesn't have sufficient proof of first registration anyway) but I could be mistaken and it would only take an email to the seller to confirm it. The 1960s title can also be resolved before submitting any import approval request if it is in fact built before 1985.

OK, so my first reply was a bit flippant based on the fact that I think everyone knows I love old Cobras. Arntz, Butler, Contemporary, ERA, RMC, Robnell, DAX, Crendon, RAM. I'd happily own any of them and somehow I've managed to own a few different brands over the years.

Of the more recent cars, I'd be really proud to have a Classic Revival or Superformance or Harrison in the garage. I'd be over the moon to have an Absolute Pace or a Kirkham and I personally see them as the two global leaders in different markets.

What motivates someone to buy an old Cobra when they could have a new one for a fairly similar outlay? To me it's almost like that Jeep sticker that I despise. "It's a Cobra thing...you wouldn't understand". In that, I think there are some people that want patina, they want history and for the car to have had a life - or a few lives - before they have assumed ownership.

For me, if I was looking at two almost identical looking and performing Cobras; one was decades old and one was new, I'd be drawn to the old one to see what sort of clues I could find to it's story. Many others would be drawn to the new one because everything is new and perfect.

With Craig W now producing a product that looks staggeringly beautiful and for what seems to be a bloody good price, I'd think that the vast majority of people would choose his car over an early US manufacturer. Wazza would have a much better idea about delivery timeframes and how many cars have been delivered lately, but if the product is being pushed out to owners in reasonable timeframes in many ways I reckon it's an easy decision.

I loved my Arntz, and for those who know the new owner of it, you'll know that it will be an infinitely better car when he's finished with it. I hit the jackpot with my Contemporary - a healthy 427FE through barely muffled side pipes always makes me smile. That said, when I look at Brad's recently completed AP or the other LSA powered monster that was just just registered and I see the fit/finish and the boner inducing rocker arm suspension, I must admit that I start plotting and scheming about how I can have an AP in the garage.

It's not a Jeep thing at all. I hate Jeeps. It's about what Cobra will make you happy. Aren't we lucky that there are lots to choose from!
Old 01-09-2015, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP Pace427 (AP4033) GM L77 6.0L TR6060
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Question though - with all the costs associated with import and tarriffs, etc. is there still enough of a savings to justify the foreign purchase over the great home-grown Pace Cobra?
Wonderful sentiment, Buzz. I feel strangely proud now that an Aussie product is gaining an international rep!

(And I was 'this close' to coming to St Lucia this year, Buzz! But only getting as far as Cuba and Cancun I'm afraid).

Wazza, are you on to this? I'd be happy to travel to St Lucia as an embassador to help Buzz setup an agency. My time for free! You just pay T&A :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
... [long speech removed for brevity]
It's not a Jeep thing at all. I hate Jeeps. It's about what Cobra will make you happy. Aren't we lucky that there are lots to choose from!
Fantastic post, Craig. I love reading considered posts from people with a bit of flair for writing. Well said!
Old 01-09-2015, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

I'm busy AT WORK this morning..it's alright for you lot !!

but managed to give the Forum a quick "once over".

A lot of good interesting stuff on here today...but Craig Marsh...you've made more work for me !!!!

I hope you don't mind, but I can't get past your statement...

the boner inducing rocker arm suspension

That's just GOT to be on all the new brochures !!...Right !!??

Classic !!

And NO Guy....if anyone is getting freebie trips...it'll be moi.

Cheers,

Back to work now .

Warren
deano59 likes this.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by guye View Post
Wonderful sentiment, Buzz. I feel strangely proud now that an Aussie product is gaining an international rep!

(And I was 'this close' to coming to St Lucia this year, Buzz! But only getting as far as Cuba and Cancun I'm afraid).
The Pace product is a significant development in the Cobra replica industry. The commitment to combining a beautifully accurate and good looking body with a state of the art chassis and suspension holds a lot of appeal. While I have a deep appreciation for the dead-nuts authentic and faithful replicas, to me a Cobra is all about the look and the performance.

I would own a Pace Cobra in a heartbeat and finish it up along the lines and look of an AC MK VI. Modern running gear and an up to date interior. The perfect modern day Cobra for me. I'd love to see Craig do well enough with it that maybe a dealer could start producing them in the US market.
guye likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 01-10-2015, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I must agree every time I look at the Pace the answer is obvious
deano59 likes this.