Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some kind of FORD thingy, with several pis tins, twin chain driven SUs feeding a Y block, apparently.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
How did the sums go when you considered:

Trailer purchase cost / rego / maintenance,
Purchase price / running costs / depreciation of a big@rse 4WD,
Compromising what you want in a day to day car vs towing requirements,
Storage space for trailer,
etc, etc, etc

...as opposed to just getting Dave from Trailertow to get you out to the track when you need to and having a nice everyday car for the other 99.5% of the driving you do?
preety good, when you can write it all off against tax and youve got a big@rse shed. tomcat
Old 05-14-2010, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

I know its a ute, but what about a dual-cab Navara 3.0TD? 3000kg if memory serves, I'm sure it will sip the diesel (except when pulling 3T)
Old 05-14-2010, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Daily Driver

I have used a regular cab (short wheelbase) 4X4 1/2 ton Toyota Tundra and a Chevy Silvarado with no problem towing Cobra or ZO6 in the mountain west. Regular gas V8s with Automatics and Air can haul or tow my stuff and are very comfortable daily drivers and are affordable and IMHO a great value... stock clean low mile used 4x4trucks will sell at a premium in a weekend in any rural area and any economy.... a diesel or 3/4 is overkill for me... edited to add the car and trailer are less than 5000lbs total and the trailer has electric brakes and I never need to haul 2000 lbs in the pickup...

Last edited by Bartruff1; 05-14-2010 at 07:30 AM..
Old 05-15-2010, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Matt, your not making sense to me, maybe I missed something?
Earlier you said you wanted a tow car, then you mentioned wanting a dual cab F series.
Then your talking about needing something with bling as you "sometimes pick up CEO's at airport"
Well unless your refering to your wife as the CEO, then I would have thought your employers would be providing a car for this task?
I realise it has been a while since I was in corporete world but back when I was department manager and had to pick up people from airport, then my employers supplied a suitable car for the task.

And I am also pretty sure most CEO's would not be overly impressed with having to climb into a dual cab F series (unless they are from Texas).

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Box, I don't make sense to myself sometimes.....

I guess I'm just chasing peoples opinions on what makes a good tow car but at the same time is good for a daily driver too...

I'm taking some time off work shortly so want something I can use for going racing but at the same time is also nice to drive around for personal use....

Hmmmm. And well, I REALLY LOVE F TRUCKS!

Interestingly I was looking on the net last night at a F250 XLT single cab ute V8 and discovered it had a braked trailer towing capacity of.......1496kg! WHAT THE?
Where as the spacecab had a towing capacity of 3500kg.... Seems weird..
Old 05-16-2010, 05:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Just found this on you tube. I thought it was a pretty impresive demonstration the Disco 2 Land Rover towing.

Shows the Electronic Brake Force distribution

Mines the last of this shape. It's got a bunch of fancy tech under it. Self leveling suspension, a hydraulically actuated front sway bar and a sophisticated traction control system being the main ones. It corners very flat since the front sway bar stiffens up as you steer into the corner. It was very surprising the first time I drove it. Also when you go off road the sway bar disengages completely for maximum suspension articulation.

The traction control system uses the brakes to lock spinning wheels and transfer drive to the wheels that have traction. It was pretty revolutionary in it's day.

The Self leveling rear suspension detects how much load there is in the back and adjusts the rear air bags to suit. This is handy if you hook a trailer on as the draw bar height doesn't change.

But I wouldn't reccomend one now. The last person I recommended one to has had nothing but trouble with it.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default It works for Sam Walton...

If I could only have one car...it would be a 1/2 ton regular cab 4x4 V8 Pickup.. they are quiet, comfortable, powerful, safe, practical, and very easy to live with.. just my two cents....now...having said that, I should add that 99% of my driving is done with wet and muddy dogs and grandson's...don't tell granny they ride in the truck bed !!!
Old 05-16-2010, 10:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler...488" hi-rise, dry-sump FE s/o w/stacks
Not Ranked     

Get yourself a Porsche Cayenne Turbo or Turbo S. It is stable and it tows flawlessly, all wheel drive keeps you in control with reasonable fuel mileage. I get 14mpg towing an aluminum enclosed trailer and the Butler. With 521hp and over 500lbs of torque....never a problem with power in mountains or flat lands.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB Cobra, Ford 2001 4.6l Quad Cam Stroked to 5.2l (ported heads, reground cams from SHM + a Kenne Bell 2.8 Charger + Intercooler) Autronic SM4 Ecu, Autometer Cobalt Gauges, Trigo 8 & 10 x 15 Halibrand Knock Offs, Goodyear Eagle Tyres
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTxButler View Post
Get yourself a Porsche Cayenne Turbo or Turbo S.
I'll take 2!!
Old 05-16-2010, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Jeremy Clarkson on the Cayenne:

"It really is absolutely hideous. They’ve obviously spent much time and effort giving it the Porsche family nose, but this is like fitting Meg Ryan’s conk on the front of a buffalo. And having completely messed up the sharp end, they didn’t bother with the back at all."
Old 05-16-2010, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I can't say I've been real impressed with Porsche styling in recent years. The 911 hasn't changed at all and we don't expect it to as it's become a bit of an icon. The Camen/boxter looks pretty good as does the Carrera GT but most of the other cars they've built have been generally hideous. I saw a Panamerica outside work the other day and I reckon it was butt ugly. Pamella Anderson from the front but John Goodman from the back complete with hairy ass crack.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTxButler View Post
Get yourself a Porsche Cayenne Turbo or Turbo S. It is stable and it tows flawlessly, all wheel drive keeps you in control with reasonable fuel mileage. I get 14mpg towing an aluminum enclosed trailer and the Butler. With 521hp and over 500lbs of torque....never a problem with power in mountains or flat lands.
Just a note of interest...
Anyone who likes nice "bling" should check out this chap's photo gallery....bloody awesome !!

Cheers,
Warren.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
Just a note of interest...
Anyone who likes nice "bling" should check out this chap's photo gallery....bloody awesome !!

Cheers,
Warren.
Very impressive. That Halibrand IRS is a work of art.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler...488" hi-rise, dry-sump FE s/o w/stacks
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the kind words.

As for Clarkson, Jeremy is a little short sighted, what really matters is that the Cayenne Turbo S will run zero to 60 mph in 4.8 seconds. Not bad for 5200 to 5900 lbs depending on options. What's most striking about the Turbo S is the ever present torque. Maximum torque of 530 lb-ft is available from just 2,750 rpm. There's an effortlessness to the way the Turbo S finds any speed the driver chooses.

So what if Jeremy doesn't like the a** end, it's the most comfortable and capable truck you can find if you need to tow something.

Last edited by SoTxButler; 05-16-2010 at 06:17 PM..
Old 05-16-2010, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Can't argue with the performance or comfort there Russ. I just wish they hadn't tried to make it look like a 911 on Steroids.

Porsche made some beautiful cars that didn't try to hang onto the 911's coat tails. I'm a fan of the 928 and the 914 was a neat little sports car.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

if you want torque get the V10 Touareg or the new 1000NM Q7
Old 05-17-2010, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Looked at the Q7, very nice., but they don't have a good reputation for reliability....

Test drove the Range Rover Sport on Sunday, very impressed!

Phil
Old 05-17-2010, 06:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philm View Post
Looked at the Q7, very nice., but they don't have a good reputation for reliability....

Test drove the Range Rover Sport on Sunday, very impressed!

Phil
And Range Sport from all accounts also an average Rep,I know of 3 current owners all are less than impressed with their cars ,loved the looks and initial performance of the car but have all had prob's and of the 3 ....2 are going the Volvo XC90 route the other has already bought current Jeep Grande Cherokee 5.7ltr which I personally think is a terrific car!!

OZ

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-17-2010, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk1, LS1, T56, Jag S3 suspension
Not Ranked     

Go the Grand Cherokee SRT8. It would have to be one of the best sounding Hemi's I've heard... My street car is not slow and this bloke towing a boat was with me off the lights. We wern't going that hard but I was very surprised by how it pulled...

6.1L
313kW @ 6,000
569Nm @ 4,600
16.1L/100kms
Old 05-17-2010, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Thanks Oz,
Sorry about the hijack spooky.

The Volvo only has a 2000kg towing capacity.

I will check out the Jeeps.

Thanks

Phil