Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   First start of engine (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/104693-first-start-engine.html)

T.L. 05-26-2010 01:56 AM

First start of engine

Well, after a few weeks of sorting out the electrics, the car pounced into life with a nice un-mufflered pipe sound. Just a quick fire up to see that all is well.

Great to hear the engine fire to life after we swapped the ECU to an earlier model one. A few more months and it should be all registered and ready for a trip to Wakefield perhaps, but just the drive up.

I already like the noise the car makes with a little bit of throttle, and can't wait for the car. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPdwc0zgYt4

stumpeater 05-26-2010 02:37 AM

Sounds Great!!!!

I am not familiar with Gen 3/4 donks with superchargers, where is the drive hooked up to? Is there a shaft to the front pulley?:confused: Every time I hear a new Cobra come to life I get inspired to work a bit harder to get mine going. Well done.

Merv and Sharon 05-26-2010 03:24 AM

Very good TL! Is that KB supercharger? Any trouble with compliance and registration with a supercharger in Victoria?

Pecal 05-26-2010 03:27 AM

The LS3 sounds sharp with the blower, should be a great performer. You mentioned using an early ECU, just be mindful of the IM240 emission test. You will need OEM Cats, OEM ECU (and tune) OEM Oxy sensors etc to meet the test. With the engine/blower combination you may have to prove type approval.

Peter

T.L. 05-26-2010 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumpeater (Post 1053565)
I am not familiar with Gen 3/4 donks with superchargers, where is the drive hooked up to? Is there a shaft to the front pulley?:confused: Every time I hear a new Cobra come to life I get inspired to work a bit harder to get mine going. Well done.

The supercharger runs off the normal pulley system with a drive pulley that goes through the centre of the inlet manifold. You can see the pulley about 2:27 into the video. It's ealy days, so well see how it all pans out.

T.L. 05-26-2010 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon (Post 1053570)
Very good TL! Is that KB supercharger? Any trouble with compliance and registration with a supercharger in Victoria?

Merv,

The supercharger is one that Walkinshaw performance do as a kit for VE HSV's and has an ADR compliance done by the engineer that I will be using. If there was an issue it may come if there was a cold start, but I don't think that a cold start is done in the testing, only a simulated drive of some degree.

All else fails I take it off the cobra and put it on my commodore, but it should be okay.

T.L. 05-26-2010 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pecal (Post 1053571)
The LS3 sounds sharp with the blower, should be a great performer. You mentioned using an early ECU, just be mindful of the IM240 emission test. You will need OEM Cats, OEM ECU (and tune) OEM Oxy sensors etc to meet the test. With the engine/blower combination you may have to prove type approval.

Peter

Peter,

I know that the cats maybe an issue, but after working in the exhaust field for too many years, and know that any cat loses its abilty to function after a few months so there is some leeway there. If all else fails then I am sure that something will be able to be worked out, by way of placement of the cats, or getting some round cats up into an area closer to the exhaust manifold.

It is an OEM ECU and I have the two oxy sensors plumbed in and reporting to the ECU, so hopefully it should pass. It currently has the tune from a VZ as well.

Well find out soon enough though and then re-assess.

boxhead 05-26-2010 04:35 PM

Great stuff T.L,
Sure is a big milestone whan you fire it up and hear it running the first time.

sambo 05-27-2010 02:08 AM

Like the man says at the end "brilliant!".

Who flared your guards? Much mucking around to get the right shape? Looks like I will need about 30mm each side to fit the wheels I want.

Pecal 05-27-2010 02:55 AM

Looks like you've got all the bases covered - it sure does sound nice. I'd be interested to know what you are doing to get the tacho working.
Peter

T.L. 05-27-2010 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sambo (Post 1053890)
Like the man says at the end "brilliant!".

Who flared your guards? Much mucking around to get the right shape? Looks like I will need about 30mm each side to fit the wheels I want.

Sambo,

I can take the credit for the 'brilliant' comment at the end, and sourcing a lot of parts that I found great fun.

I can't take any of the credit for the guards. The car is being done by Doug Pearce Engineering, so they would be the ones to speak to, and yes they were flared about 30-35mm to fit the knock on wheels. My ability stops with my FJ40, and that is about my level of understanding, simple and not too many wires and a carb and dizzy.

T.L. 05-27-2010 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pecal (Post 1053899)
Looks like you've got all the bases covered - it sure does sound nice. I'd be interested to know what you are doing to get the tacho working.
Peter

Peter,

I spoke to John today, the guy doing the auto electrical side of things and he has the tacho going, it was only a small issue with it as it needed some electrical gizmo doohicky to get it working. I love the sound of the supercharger whine already.

My ability stops at my FJ40.

Doubledip 05-27-2010 03:43 AM

the tacho problem is an easy cheap fix....

does yours not work PECAL?

gjkrv8 05-27-2010 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pecal (Post 1053899)
Peter

Peter, my tacho didnt work initially. I put an oscilliscope on it and found the signal was only 1 volt peak to peak coming out of the ECU. Took the Tacho back to Howards and they modified the input.

Rgds Gregg

P.S. Well done T.L. - that supercharger look awesome and sounds fantastic.

Doubledip 05-27-2010 04:56 AM

yep out of the GM ECU's the signal is only very weak and needs to be boosted up.. Good job on the Build

just run a pull-up resistor and all will be good.. same as what was needed for T.L's car

Pecal 05-27-2010 02:25 PM

I tried a pullup resistor suggested by Sideshow without success. I went to Howards and he said the signal used for the Tacho on these engines is Multiplex so it can't be adapted to the tacho. His suggestion was to cut an injector wire and put a signal amplifier in series to get a trigger for the Tacho - not a very attractive solution.

Peter

Doubledip 05-27-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pecal (Post 1054035)
I tried a pullup resistor suggested by Sideshow without success. I went to Howards and he said the signal used for the Tacho on these engines is Multiplex so it can't be adapted to the tacho. His suggestion was to cut an injector wire and put a signal amplifier in series to get a trigger for the Tacho - not a very attractive solution.

Peter

No. sorry to say but he is wrong if he is saying you cant get a tacho to work off these ECU's.... maybe some tachos (i am yet to see) but it will work 99% of the time.. the other times you need a different booster..

I gather you being the Peter that we supplied the LS3 for ? ... if so i will have a look at you tune to see if it was set correctly..

Did you get any drawings on how to wire it in..?

sambo 05-27-2010 03:03 PM

Justin, I have the same tacho and you put a "stock VE" tune in my ECU so could you please check mine while you're at it? Thanks mate.

Doubledip 05-27-2010 03:06 PM

the settings in both ECU's are correct so maybe the pull up resistor was wired in incorrectly.

you both have mail..

gjkrv8 05-27-2010 03:12 PM

Hi Peter,

If you need me to come over to put an Oscilliscope on the signal to see what it looks like - let me know.

Rgds

Gregg