Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-26-2010, 01:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison build #98 with Supercharged 6.2L of Chev Power, TKO600 5 speed gearbox
Not Ranked     
Default First start of engine

Well, after a few weeks of sorting out the electrics, the car pounced into life with a nice un-mufflered pipe sound. Just a quick fire up to see that all is well.

Great to hear the engine fire to life after we swapped the ECU to an earlier model one. A few more months and it should be all registered and ready for a trip to Wakefield perhaps, but just the drive up.

I already like the noise the car makes with a little bit of throttle, and can't wait for the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPdwc0zgYt4
Old 05-26-2010, 02:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, VE L98 + T56
Not Ranked     
Default Sounds Great!!!!

I am not familiar with Gen 3/4 donks with superchargers, where is the drive hooked up to? Is there a shaft to the front pulley? Every time I hear a new Cobra come to life I get inspired to work a bit harder to get mine going. Well done.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Very good TL! Is that KB supercharger? Any trouble with compliance and registration with a supercharger in Victoria?

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The LS3 sounds sharp with the blower, should be a great performer. You mentioned using an early ECU, just be mindful of the IM240 emission test. You will need OEM Cats, OEM ECU (and tune) OEM Oxy sensors etc to meet the test. With the engine/blower combination you may have to prove type approval.

Peter
Old 05-26-2010, 03:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison build #98 with Supercharged 6.2L of Chev Power, TKO600 5 speed gearbox
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpeater View Post
I am not familiar with Gen 3/4 donks with superchargers, where is the drive hooked up to? Is there a shaft to the front pulley? Every time I hear a new Cobra come to life I get inspired to work a bit harder to get mine going. Well done.
The supercharger runs off the normal pulley system with a drive pulley that goes through the centre of the inlet manifold. You can see the pulley about 2:27 into the video. It's ealy days, so well see how it all pans out.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon View Post
Very good TL! Is that KB supercharger? Any trouble with compliance and registration with a supercharger in Victoria?
Merv,

The supercharger is one that Walkinshaw performance do as a kit for VE HSV's and has an ADR compliance done by the engineer that I will be using. If there was an issue it may come if there was a cold start, but I don't think that a cold start is done in the testing, only a simulated drive of some degree.

All else fails I take it off the cobra and put it on my commodore, but it should be okay.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecal View Post
The LS3 sounds sharp with the blower, should be a great performer. You mentioned using an early ECU, just be mindful of the IM240 emission test. You will need OEM Cats, OEM ECU (and tune) OEM Oxy sensors etc to meet the test. With the engine/blower combination you may have to prove type approval.

Peter
Peter,

I know that the cats maybe an issue, but after working in the exhaust field for too many years, and know that any cat loses its abilty to function after a few months so there is some leeway there. If all else fails then I am sure that something will be able to be worked out, by way of placement of the cats, or getting some round cats up into an area closer to the exhaust manifold.

It is an OEM ECU and I have the two oxy sensors plumbed in and reporting to the ECU, so hopefully it should pass. It currently has the tune from a VZ as well.

Well find out soon enough though and then re-assess.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Great stuff T.L,
Sure is a big milestone whan you fire it up and hear it running the first time.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Like the man says at the end "brilliant!".

Who flared your guards? Much mucking around to get the right shape? Looks like I will need about 30mm each side to fit the wheels I want.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Looks like you've got all the bases covered - it sure does sound nice. I'd be interested to know what you are doing to get the tacho working.
Peter
Old 05-27-2010, 03:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo View Post
Like the man says at the end "brilliant!".

Who flared your guards? Much mucking around to get the right shape? Looks like I will need about 30mm each side to fit the wheels I want.
Sambo,

I can take the credit for the 'brilliant' comment at the end, and sourcing a lot of parts that I found great fun.

I can't take any of the credit for the guards. The car is being done by Doug Pearce Engineering, so they would be the ones to speak to, and yes they were flared about 30-35mm to fit the knock on wheels. My ability stops with my FJ40, and that is about my level of understanding, simple and not too many wires and a carb and dizzy.

Last edited by T.L.; 05-27-2010 at 03:07 AM..
Old 05-27-2010, 03:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Looks like you've got all the bases covered - it sure does sound nice. I'd be interested to know what you are doing to get the tacho working.
Peter
Peter,

I spoke to John today, the guy doing the auto electrical side of things and he has the tacho going, it was only a small issue with it as it needed some electrical gizmo doohicky to get it working. I love the sound of the supercharger whine already.

My ability stops at my FJ40.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to Doubledip
Not Ranked     

the tacho problem is an easy cheap fix....

does yours not work PECAL?
Old 05-27-2010, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Peter
Peter, my tacho didnt work initially. I put an oscilliscope on it and found the signal was only 1 volt peak to peak coming out of the ECU. Took the Tacho back to Howards and they modified the input.

Rgds Gregg

P.S. Well done T.L. - that supercharger look awesome and sounds fantastic.

Last edited by gjkrv8; 05-27-2010 at 04:49 AM.. Reason: forgot to say weel done to TL
Old 05-27-2010, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

yep out of the GM ECU's the signal is only very weak and needs to be boosted up.. Good job on the Build

just run a pull-up resistor and all will be good.. same as what was needed for T.L's car

Last edited by Doubledip; 05-27-2010 at 05:02 AM..
Old 05-27-2010, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I tried a pullup resistor suggested by Sideshow without success. I went to Howards and he said the signal used for the Tacho on these engines is Multiplex so it can't be adapted to the tacho. His suggestion was to cut an injector wire and put a signal amplifier in series to get a trigger for the Tacho - not a very attractive solution.

Peter
Old 05-27-2010, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I tried a pullup resistor suggested by Sideshow without success. I went to Howards and he said the signal used for the Tacho on these engines is Multiplex so it can't be adapted to the tacho. His suggestion was to cut an injector wire and put a signal amplifier in series to get a trigger for the Tacho - not a very attractive solution.

Peter
No. sorry to say but he is wrong if he is saying you cant get a tacho to work off these ECU's.... maybe some tachos (i am yet to see) but it will work 99% of the time.. the other times you need a different booster..

I gather you being the Peter that we supplied the LS3 for ? ... if so i will have a look at you tune to see if it was set correctly..

Did you get any drawings on how to wire it in..?
Old 05-27-2010, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Justin, I have the same tacho and you put a "stock VE" tune in my ECU so could you please check mine while you're at it? Thanks mate.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

the settings in both ECU's are correct so maybe the pull up resistor was wired in incorrectly.

you both have mail..

Last edited by Doubledip; 05-27-2010 at 03:09 PM..
Old 05-27-2010, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Hi Peter,

If you need me to come over to put an Oscilliscope on the signal to see what it looks like - let me know.

Rgds

Gregg

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: