Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 03:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     
Default Details about BDM Cobra

I feel bad that Malcomm's very first post on ClubCobra went in so many directions away from the fact that he has just completed a beautiful looking car with a really interesting chassis design.

So... if we haven't scared you away Malcomm, I'd be really keen to get heaps of photos or further information about the car. It's fair to say that most things related to most other manufacturers can already be searched here as it's often been discussed to death before. Here's a chance to make this a resource of information about BDM without having any of the spin from the company's website. (Don't make me mention the Kirkham!)

For reference, you said:
Quote:
I am now in the process of registering it. I love it, I am glad I chose the BDM aluminium chassis. The car has much more room inside than any of the others I looked at, and the torsional test the engineer had to do for registration showed it had over 8600nm per degree. He said that was just excellent and much more than what is required for Queensland Transport Dept. We weighed it on those four point racing scales and the total weight was 1024 kg. Even I know that is good! It was 51% on the front with only one person 90kgs on board. It is a bit high at the moment but I will wait until it settles down and we have done a few miles before I try setting it up. It has coil over adjustable shocks all round, and the springs may be a little hard at the moment (thought it might be a bit heavier
it has a 5.7 l VX motor and auto, VS brake system and all the other parts were supplied by BDM except the instruments.
It goes hard - love it, love it, love it.
I received this information from their autoreply enquiry screen:

A little bit more about the kit:

Kit Contents

• Full Aluminum Monocoque Chassis – in 4mm & 6mm aluminum fully Mig & Tig welded inclusive of all floors and bulkheads.
• Body - Hand laid fiberglass for uniform thickness and strength, using only the highest quality materials.
• Bonnet, Doors & Boot - All hinged and aligned
• Motor, Transmission & Suspension Subframes – Fabricated in high quality steel and bolted into place

Current price : AUD $15,000.00 + GST

Items BDM can Supply

• Rear Axle
• Pedal Assembly
• Steering Rack
• Windscreens
• Side Vents
• Front & Rear Bumpers
• Roll Bars
• Windwings (Glass)
• Side Pipes
• Wheels
• Fuel Tank
• Wiring Look to suit LS3 / LS1
• Replica Fuel Caps

We hope to be updating the site on a reglar basis over the next few months, along with more detail on the construction of the kit.

Anyone have any other photos or info? Here are a few from the www.bydesignmotorsports.com website

Last edited by 750hp; 06-01-2010 at 10:11 AM..
Old 06-01-2010, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

I agree that the other thread was a bit unfair.

Malcomm, looks like a great car. Where are the rest of the pics? Way to build the suspense!

I am assuming this was you hello everyone im new to the cobra forum I remember the post. That was a super quick build.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Yep, These guys are right Malcomm. I sincerely apologies for steering away from your post. I too
visited the web site and was very impressed with the engineering.
Your Cobra is stunning. I like the LS2. I know you will have one hell of a time driving and showing it.
This is a good forum despite the few detours some threads take. Please stick around and put up some more photos.

Hersh
Old 06-01-2010, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

Is this a BDR or BDM we are talking about because both are mentioned? Doesn't look like a BDR at all.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Thanks for spotting that it in my first post. I've corrected it now. It's not Backdraft Racing, this is a new Australian company By Design Motorsports.

Cheers,
Old 06-01-2010, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Looks a great modern design! One of the best in Australia perhaps.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

So Malcomm, do tell us more.. Not heard or seen much about this new Cobra design and would love to know all the fruit. Tell us why you went this way and dare I ask as to what body shape the car has evolved from? Or what it a brand new buck or flop etc? (Not wanting to start an off topic rave, just want to know its pedigree shape.)

Spookypt

P.s. Bring it out to QR on the 26th and stretch its legs... We'd love to see it there. With Harrison and DRB and maybe RMC (?) there it would be great to see the BDM there alongside the other ring in - BDR!