Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 04:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still dreaming!
Not Ranked     
Default UK rego plates on a Lambo in Sydney.

Hey all.

Considering all of the difficulties that car guys are facing in OZ and particularly NSW with our roads and traffic organisations, I have to ask why I spotted a Lamborghini Gallardo spyder driving in Sydney with UK number plates?

Now this car was definitely displaying UK plates only and cruising through the Eastern Suburbs. I wonder what allowed this person to lawfully register it with UK number plates, or was he just plain doing the wrong thing?

Are there any laws that most of the general public unaware of that allow importing cars from the UK and retaining the original registration plates?

Just wondering if anyone can satisfy my curiosity?

Cheers.

Steve.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Robnell BB 429 (Sold) Contemporary Cobra CCX3682
Not Ranked     

Mr Broholm,

There was a case some time ago where 2 wealthy brothers from England constantly brought their Lambos over to Sydney to drive around for a couple of months while they did business here. I believe that this can be done on a temporary basis if it is work related or something like that. I could be totally wrong of course!

Number 96
Old 06-06-2010, 06:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

We get UK registered cars passing through Alice Springs alot, normally land rovers or land cruisers that the owners have bought with them on holidays.
alot of German rego plates too.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: AC427 MkIII of 2004 vintage
Not Ranked     

Probably Lewis Hamilton looking for trouble.........
Old 06-06-2010, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nope, couldn't have been Lewis Hamilton, Trevor.

The driver of the Lambo was driving civilly! (No dark blue paint marks on the side of it)

Steve.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
We get UK registered cars passing through Alice Springs alot, normally land rovers or land cruisers that the owners have bought with them on holidays.
G'day Dave.

Unless anybody was on some special driving event, charitable or record breaking adventure, etc, why would people bother bringing their personal vehicles all the way across the pond down here? If they can afford to transport it, they could afford to either hire or purchase, then re-sell a vehicle instead. The logistics of shipping a vehicle for a holiday just wouldn't be worth the effort.

By the sounds of it overseas plates seem to be a more common sight than I'd first thought.

Now the Germans drive on the left hand side, so how do they get permission to drive their later model vehicles without having to convert it? Makes the laws requiring Australians to do a right hand drive conversion on anything younger than 30 years of age somewhat unfair! Different rules for different fools I guess.

Steve.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I knew a guy who was a US Air Force pilot over here on exchange. He bought over his LHD Toyota forerunner and drove it around over here with US plates for 2 years. Air Force paid to get it over here but he had reciprocal rights or something like that. He wasn't allowed to sell it and it had to go back with him.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some kind of FORD thingy, with several pis tins, twin chain driven SUs feeding a Y block, apparently.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
youre kidding boxhead arent you, you mean some land rovers actually make it to alice springs.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Stephen, yes I wonder about the costs and logistics of bringing your own car over, but they are generally on a world tour and I suppose there is some feeling of ease when you have your own car that you know well, and have had modified to suit your needs.

Yes even L/H drive cruisers.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

I looked into this some time back but going the other way. In theory you can ship your car to the US and drive around with your Aussie rego and RHD. The only hurdle I found was getting your insurance company to cover you while you are there.

I was investigating to possibility of shipping my cobra over for an extended road trip of the US.

These days with a few more players in the special vehicles insurance game they might have an option.

Cheers

Old 06-07-2010, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's the same as driving through Europe on UK plates, some countries require a carnet to say that the vehicle must leave the country and can't be sold etc. I think you still need to pay the Aussie road tax as well. It's a fairly easy process and sea freight is pretty cheap and you don't need to pay duty gst etc when the vehicle arrives.