Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 01:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB (australia)
Not Ranked     
Default DRB body

Hi Mic here, have any of you DRB owners happy with the responce, you have recieved from DRB with any of requests for help/issues with the car. Just a general question ?
Old 06-07-2010, 02:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB "Rough as Guts"
Not Ranked     

Hi Mic, I bought mine completed and had no problems to report or seek help for that i could not fix myself.I know the looks of the DRB are something i have to sleep with but i did ask one DRB agent whats the go about the broken back look and was pretty well brushed off saying that i shouldnt take any notice of you wankers on this site. so was pretty happy about his responce.
NO DISRESPECT INTENTERED.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Victor, thanks for your answer, I asked them about jackng the the car up and leaving the undercarrage dangling for inspection purposes, but they could not tell the best points---Mic
Old 06-07-2010, 03:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB "Rough as Guts"
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic n gill View Post
Hi Victor, thanks for your answer, I asked them about jackng the the car up and leaving the undercarrage dangling for inspection purposes, but they could not tell the best points---Mic
Theres a few owner builders on this site that should be able to help.cheers
Old 06-07-2010, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB Cobra, Ford 2001 4.6l Quad Cam Stroked to 5.2l (ported heads, reground cams from SHM + a Kenne Bell 2.8 Charger + Intercooler) Autronic SM4 Ecu, Autometer Cobalt Gauges, Trigo 8 & 10 x 15 Halibrand Knock Offs, Goodyear Eagle Tyres
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor View Post
Hi Mic, I bought mine completed and had no problems to report or seek help for that i could not fix myself.I know the looks of the DRB are something i have to sleep with but i did ask one DRB agent whats the go about the broken back look and was pretty well brushed off saying that i shouldnt take any notice of you wankers on this site. so was pretty happy about his responce.
I reckon you have made many friends with your 54 posts!!!
Old 06-07-2010, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

C'mon Blair, I know where you're coming from, but guys lets not let this one go down the toilet like the last couple. Mic's question is about getting an answer out of DRB.

I have not had much to do with DRB's Mic, but I would think if you had stands on a chassis rail just forward of the rear axle, or better still under the axle if it is fitted, should be ok.

Cheers
Old 06-07-2010, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Mic i dont have a DRB, but with my car when i have needed to lift the body to do something and havnt had the helpers to take it off, i just cut some blocks of timber and stick them between the rails and the body.

If your car is painted i wouldnt do this, but if it isnt it works fine.

There is another thread on here somewhere with a guy that uses ratchet straps attached to the ceiling of the garage and hooked on each wheel well.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Hi Mic, I am trying to understand the question.
Do you want to lift the body away from the chassis or are you looking to lift the whole car so the suspension hangs down?

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor View Post
Touche, I will smile with ya

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

mic,
i had mine on jack stands just behind front wheels, and just in front of rear wheels, stayed like that for months engine in engine out wheels on wheels off, did no damage.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for your response guys Boxhead your right, I need to lift the body away from the suspension, DRB couldn't tell me, you got it tho, thanks---Mic
Old 06-08-2010, 03:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB, FORD 302W,T5
Not Ranked     

Mic --A DRB Cobra is an integral unit ie :- the body is permanently fixed to the chassis --glued and rivetted
Old 06-08-2010, 03:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks for your response guys Boxhead your right, I need to lift the body away from the suspension, DRB couldn't tell me, you got it tho, thanks---Mic
I understand that the DRB is based on the SLR 5000 suspension. I'm pretty sure you can jack this up with taller springs and longer shocks. Remember when building an ICV you must spend money on unnecessary stuff. Buy it,use it,toss it. I tremble to think about the money I've spent on "test" stuff that is providing homes for spiders now...never to go back on the Cobra. Don't be afraid to try 'stuff'.
Good luck,
Rob.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

From my limited knowledge, as Mrs Flatchat says, the body and chassis are bonded and riveted together, so not an easy task to seperate the 2.

To seperate them I would think the car will need to be pulled apart till it is a bare chassis/body then cut bonded areas and drill out rivets.

Mic, can you tell us why you want to seperate the chassis from the body?

As there may be another way to do what you need to do.

Cruising in 5th

Old 06-08-2010, 04:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
Mic, can you tell us why you want to seperate the chassis from the body?
Mmmmmm...let's see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair View Post
I reckon you have made many friends with your 54 posts!!!
He certainly has!!!!... he can give as good as he gets!!!...

Quote:
Mic you say for Inspection purposes and appears your after jacking points?????........but then in a later reply your saying to Boxhead your wanting the body off ...Which is it????

OZ

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-08-2010, 05:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I jack mine with a piece of 4 x 2 laid flat on the outside chassis rails about half way between the front and rear wheels. This lifts the whole side of the car up off the ground. Then place your axle stands at the four corners of the chassis. ie just behind the front wheels and just in front of the rear wheels. Mine is a Torana based kit. I have had it up on axle stands like that for months when trying new brakes suspension, gboxes etc. They are quite rigid.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

I basically did the same as Towmaster. Although for working underneath for a long period I have 2 sets of ramps which I slide under the wheels (after jacking it up). With all 4 wheels on ramps its easy to work on and very safe too.

If you want to remove the body to make it easy to work on then you bought the wrong kit. DRB take a lot of hard work out of the process buy prefitting the body and aligning doors, bonnet and boot (and hardtop if you get one).

I guess you could remove the body but you would probably want to have a pretty good reason unless your just curious and dont mind the extra work.

I found DRB to be very helpfull with my build.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

sorry oz cobra, late answer, worked out what to do, but thank you---Mic