Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 04:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     
Default Easiest State to get a cobra registered?

As the title says, what would be the easiest state to get a new cobra engineered and registered and why?

Cheers.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

As the registration organisations have full access to this and other similiar sites I think this question may be better directed to individuals in each State via a PM.

Just my thoughts.
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 06-27-2010, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Just trying to get a feel for how things different from state to state, not after anything more then some statements of facts or simple opinions. Hardly secret squirrel stuff I would imagine.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

It seems in WA & NT that side pipes are legal. Also unlike NSW there are still cars being registered in Victoria. I believe the new emissions rules are making life a little less stressful for builders.

I hope we don't have a case where the government legislates a whole automotive aftermarket industry out of business.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

After going through the process earlier this year, I reckon the NT is easiest.
Sidepipes legal, chrome/polished alloy in drivers vision ok, The list goes on.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ?????
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
After going through the process earlier this year, I reckon the NT is easiest.
Sidepipes legal, chrome/polished alloy in drivers vision ok, The list goes on.
Is 'chrome' a real issue?

I had a Mini Cooper S (2006) with heaps of chrome in the dash...

What is the story with this rule?

Cheers

Tony
Old 06-27-2010, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I think the regs mention no reflective surfaces?

The NT authorities are car nuts (like most cobra people) and were happy to give me exemptions on alot of items - as they are period correct for the vehicle.
Big issues like emissions had to be within standards, but even then the "test" is fairly easy to go through.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would suggest reading the latest current ADR's in line with NCOP and your State / Territory rules and ask about possible exemptions available to you to get the facts. There is lots of hear say and opinion that is just not relevant on this forum and many others.

Building a safe car is the same anywhere, it only becomes a problem when some engineers fire up their own ego's and do their own interpretation of often not even the current ADR's. Crazy brake tests using G meters, tyre profile nonsense and other non adr derived tests go on in this State as well that are just not part of the ICV checklist.

With no National set of rules or test for ICV's it's a minefield of ever moving goal posts, certainly put me off ever building another ICV for fear of the rules changing mid build.

Bottom line is all States / Territories are different and always will be.

I understand why you have asked the question to promote some discussion of what you can and can't do, but please kill this thread before it turns into lets get together and submit a proposed National set ICV of rules.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

WA is getting harder. We are heading for the IM240 test. ADR37/01 still required. Huge waiting lists means weeks of waiting for approvals and so on. It used to be only a few days.

The Tech section in WA seems to be pretty steady and rule changes are slowly introduced.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The reason I asked the question partly due to the difficult in NSW of having someone familiar with ICV's even taking the car on to engineer. My car will be fully compliant with whatever rules there may be, in whatever state, and Im happy to do that.

Looking at all sorts of possibilities for a way forward, and one of those may be that it is a good time to pull up stumps, and make a big move. Perhaps interstate. Somewhere I can go through a less painfull process to get the car on the road might be nice bonus.

Just a little summary from some one recently registered from each state is all I wanted. Not looking to start a protest group.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Head West young man, plenty of work over here. Bring your paint brush there are plenty of cobra's that need painting here.

std 6lt built on a known chassis kit & brake system would be a walk in the park with just a 5 gas test required at the moment (today). The goal posts do move though as posted above.

Exemptions available for side pipes and full race harness.