Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 03:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans kit, 6 litre, 6 speed, Jag F/R,
Not Ranked     
Default charcoal canister 1976

Hi crowd,
as a 10 yo (then) I remember the big day the new tough emmission rules came in and we all had to have charcoal canisters and all that pollution crap hampering our cars perfomance.

But I have never wondered until now if there is a "RULE" that states an actual date/ age or size requirement for a charcoal canister on a new build.

My Datsun Bluebird and Ford meteor candiates would fit well with my plan shape wise.

Extra info, L76 with evap solenoid, circa 95 litre alloy drop tank, vent to canister planned as hose and tube combo before a triple coil of hardtube terminating at the higher end of the filler neck. (The triple coil was a speedway rule for rollovers we had to comply with. Worked well too.)

Any past experiences, especially bad ones (testing/ rego hassles) I can learn from are welcome.

Thanks
Old 07-02-2010, 03:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I should have googled more before I asked.

37/01 Use of remanufactured charcoal canisters

Q76. Can a remanufactured charcoal canister be fitted in lieu of a new canister to meet ADR 37/.. Requirements?

No. Note 3 of ADR 37 Emission Controls For Light Vehicles requires a new canister (to sample vehicle specification) to be fitted.

OK, so if re-man wont do then surely old ones wont ??? Is there a volumetric spec for canister size?
Old 07-02-2010, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

What has your engineer specified?
Old 07-02-2010, 09:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HARRISON, FORD 302, SOLD
Not Ranked     

As far as I'm aware (according to my car manufacturer) you can use whatever you like.

I started with a Commodore cannister from the wrecker and found it a bit big so then went and blew another ten bucks for a small one out of a jap car, bracket included. Burglars

Vac hose from manifold draws vapour from both BA Falcon fuel pump and tank vent. It had occured to me if the tank was full enough whether the fuel may be drawn into the cannister. I haven't filled it yet.....I guess we'll see.

As Sambo notes, it's up to your engineer to pass it.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I would check with your engineer, but mine did not have an issue with the second hand Telstar one I fitted.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

I got a new Commodore one. They are cheap anyway.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the input.
Out of curiousity what size is the commodore one Merv and approximate cost?

Technically the canister is a consumable item but NEVER in 30 yrs on spanners have I changed one as part of scheduled servicing.

BTW, if anyone should ever decide to use an EF canister make sure the one way valve is fitted the right way, our old wagon used to fill with fumes to a point that was just downright scary due to it being fitted wrong from factory. Not an isolated incident on EFs
Old 07-03-2010, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

I think it is about 10cm by 15cm. Now that I check, the cost was $130. I was 'told' to get that by Harrisons, so I did. Part number GM=17091157.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Merv for the part number info.
A visit to our local holden dealer shows that as a VL> canister and it it currently around $180. We did a bit of a compaison after that and found VS/VR are round and still pricey, VE is a layed down oblong looking shape but the winner on the day is probably the VZ V8 canister at $77 plus the bracket. The VZ V8 canister is conveniently stand up oblong in shape and also matches my engine model being to suit L76.
To avoid any hassles later on I think I'll get the VZ one and know it's all shiny, new and conformist. It will fit nicely tucked away in the back too.

Thanks for all the input guys.