Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 07-18-2010, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra-less for now..
Neutral     
Default BMK 1966 Mustang Racer

Bernie

Here is a link to the rest of the pictures:

http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t...%20Race%20Car/

The car is ready to go although I can put in a fuel cell if you need that for OZ Vintage rules. It has a huge list of new parts I can post here if you like and I can get FIA papers with some changes that I can list. As the car was built in 1965 it fits under the Ford Homologation of that time. The 66 has a lot of improvements over the 65, particularily in the interior. I think $35K is pretty fair as these cars have increased in value considerably in the last couple of years and my builder said it cannot be done for less than $60K now.

The main difficulty is finding a rust free car and this is a black plate California car I brought here to Arizona so it has always been in excellent weather, kind of a combo of Melbourne for the Northern Cal part and Alice Springs now..

Please ask any questions that you might have, I can deliver it to Long Beach for shipping if you want.

Steve
Old 07-19-2010, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra-less for now..
Not Ranked     

Here are the details on the parts and such...

Originally a 289 2v automatic car,- toploader conversion using original mechanical linkage. Built over 13 months by the Shelby authority for Arizona to replicate the original TA cars that won the championship in 66. The builder did the mechanical restoration on the Daytona Coupe that Bernie Karl sold for $7.25 millions at the Mecum last year.
Completely rust free black plate California car, now titled in Arizona (Black Plates go with the car) original sheet metal underhood. Built for road rallies and HSR West racing. Health precludes racing.

New parts:

Aluminum radiator /oil cooler/GT40 crate motor/Holley 790 carb
Victor JR intake/ Tri Y long tube headers /GT350R Side exhaust/ 4 speed toploader
diaphragm clutch/ /bell housing/flywheel /driveshaft

Ford 9" rear with 3.50 gears /Boss302 front disc brakes on the rear
66 Mustang discs on the front /new dual F250 master
new hard and soft brake lines/ 4 new discs
new pads/new spindles
new springs - all 4/
new lower control arms
adjustable caster with heim joints /Shelby lowered control arms
panhard rod /Autopower 4 point roll bar
electric fuel pump/ battery in trunk
Torq thrust D wheels/Spax 21 way adj shocks
8 quart roadracing oil pan/ msd ignition
metal plate between trunk and cockpit/ 2 sets of race seat belts
two Factory Five Cobra race seats on sliders /large dash mounted Tach
new dash pad/ new carpet new gauge cluster and lenses
car completely rewired new headliner
Brake proportioning adjuster next to driver's seat
Solid Engine mounts 1 3/8 " front sway bar
New windshield, mirrors and glove box
Electric fan on heater switch to de-fog

Essentially every part in the car has been replaced or re-worked on this car with no expense spared for quality parts. I have receipts for over $20,000 US just for the last bits. Plus the engine, plus the car and body and paint and and....
The car was built as a racer and is very presentable as such but is not a Pebble Beach car, that would require a repaint and some more sanding. Car was rust free and the imperfections have been smoothed with lead - not bondo. Car was prepared by a friend who was a former metal finisher at Porsche.

When I read this over, I realized how much time and money I spent here. Passion can overtake you...

Here was my inspiration:

http://www.carmemories.com/cgi-bin/v...perience_id=98

Hear it idle:

http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t...afilter=videos

Last edited by Mulv; 07-19-2010 at 09:17 AM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: