Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk4 Roadster, LS3, TR6060, 8 3/4"
Not Ranked     
Default Another New Guy .... with questions.

Hello everyone.

New guy here seriously looking into this whole cobra scene with a view to sourcing a kit and building one of my own.

I have spent a fair bit of time reading as many posts on here as I can, trying to glean as much info as I can, just building up the knowledge bank. And I must say, to all who post here, you are certainly very passionate, and also helpful when it comes to these cars.

So anyway, I wont start with the typical which is the best kit line, or rather perhaps I will, but with a difference.

See what I really want to know, whose kit is suitable for someone on the larger side. I am 6'2", 115 kg, with long legs. And I am a concerned that I will have trouble fitting in these cars. I know they are different, but I did try a westfield on once, and was a no go.

So I am wondering if there are any people who are in the XXL bracket who could comment on this.

Reviewing the current websites out there, generally not much info is given in this regard. I did see that the Harrison cars have comments about dropped floors and stretched chassis, but I would like to know if anyone has done this and id they could share a picture or something.

Also the new guys BDM suggest they have a lot of internal room, but specific information from those guys is a bit thin out there, but to be fair I know they are still new at it. I do think the alum chassis looks cool tho.

As I am in WA I am planning to check out G-Force as well, if they are still going. Their website looks quite old so am not sure as yet. Tho a phone call will answer that.

OK, so thanks for reading.

Tim
Old 07-19-2010, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Hi Tim
Heaps of WA Guy's on the forum. At 6'2 and 115 kg you may have troubles. I am 110 and just 6' and I have trouble. My knees just touch my Cobra dash which I will have to get modified (the knees not the car).

DRB are having a winter sale on their kits, I think they're a couple grand off. Best give Peter a call and find out.

Rob at G-Force is still going strong so it might pay to drop in and see him. He might be able to do a custom chassis to suit.

Remember you can allways drop the floor of the car and possibly depending on brand have the firewall moved forward. You can do a lot with the seat aswell, lots of padding for Mr Shorty and minimal padding for larger type. My GT40 has a 50mm dropped floor . I would not have a chance in hell of fitting without it.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Welcome Tim

What's the secret to maintaing your girlish figure?

Probably the best idea is to sit in a few and notice where the back and bottom of the seat is in relation to the hard limits imposed on you by the back and floor of the passenger compartment.

Below is a pic of me @ 140+ kg. (am 6' - 6'1") in my RMC (local to you)

There is a bigger version in the gallery (click on the thumbnail - then on the picture that is shown here and you'll get the bigger version - you can also be impressed by the reflections in the paint job.)

Later I lowered the seat and moved it back - this made a big improvement .

Good luck with your build. There should be no excuses for 'projects being put on hold' now the mining tax has been forgone

fyi
http://members.iinet.net.au/~zamia22/cobra/index.html

LoBelly
Old 07-19-2010, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Welcome along Jethrow.
Well I am not as tall as you but I am a fat bastard, at 120kg about 5.10 in height.
I have an older generation Classic Revival and fit very comfortably in the car.
I do have my seat as far back as it will go but I also have my pedals as far back (toward driver) as they will go, there is 3 positions on the Wilwood pedal assys. So the pedals if need be could be moved forward about 2 - 3 inches for longer legs.
On longer drives I scoot down very low in teh seat (can just see over steering wheel) when I do this my knees are splayed out to avoid contacting the dash but if I really wanted to I could move the pedals.
And if you have big feet there is a far bit of width in the foot boxs, I have often driven wearing my size 11 Blundstone boots.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default B&B cobra

Please take a look at B&B manufacturing I have been building cobra's for over 30 years I am 6'2" 145 and i have a ton of room in my car, we have 4" steel dropped floors that give us so much more leg room then any others, If you look at www.bandbroadster.com you can get all of our kit info and also go over to the owners group photo section to see pictures of a few of our completed cars my shop number is 417 472-3547 if you have any questions

Bryan Anderson
B&B mfg.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Tim, I have a Harrison and Warwick can easily lengthen the chassis. I am the same height and had 100 mms added. My legs do not touch the wheel and I can put my feet out and touch the end of the firewall. The seats in the Harrison are also quite low and my head is well below the windscreen top.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison Cobra, SC540 Roadster
Not Ranked     

Tim,
6'2", 115kg should be no troubles. I am that height and size and fit into my 100mm stretched Harrison OK. Adequate leg room and my head is below the top windscreen. I have also sat in a standard wheelbase DRB and G Force and fitted into them OK.

Warren
Old 07-19-2010, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison build #98 with Supercharged 6.2L of Chev Power, TKO600 5 speed gearbox
Not Ranked     

Tim,

I'm 6ft 4in and a bit heavier than 120kg's, and I have a lengthened Harrison chassis, 100mm, as mentioned above. There are a few people who do a lengthened chassis. I have also dropped the floor down 50mm.

I tried to fit in a few cars that were standard, Robnell, Autocraft and a real one to boot, but was always looking through the top bar of the screen and had the steering wheel sitting in my lap. I went with the lengthened one as I now can sit down into the car and I look straight through the centre of the windscreen.

Good luck

Last edited by T.L.; 07-19-2010 at 05:24 PM..
Old 07-20-2010, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

jeez the combined weight of this forum is massive!

Seems if i ever get my car finished i will have a weight advantage at just 78kgs!
Old 07-20-2010, 05:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
jeez the combined weight of this forum is massive!

Seems if i ever get my car finished i will have a weight advantage at just 78kgs!
(using bad russian accent ala Rocky & Bulwinkle)

...we will crush you like bug...

LB
Old 07-20-2010, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBelly View Post
(using bad russian accent ala Rocky & Bulwinkle)

...we will crush you like bug...

LB
Have to catch me first
Old 07-20-2010, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow, thx for all the responses guys. It does seem the 100mm stretched Harrison could be a good way, tho I must check out G-Force too.

Does anyone have a pic of the 100mm stretched cobra? Is it obvious that its stretched, or does it look just right !

Thx again for everyones input.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Hurricane Motorsports

If you are looking for a quality built replica with a lot of attention to period correct details enhanced with modern day performance, check out the Hurricane 427 Roadster. The car has the original 90" wheel base and has a 4" drop foot box, widened cowl support bar, and lengthened cockpit to accomodate taller/bigger people.

Take a look at the car on our website and check out these two build threads to get a better feel for the car:

http://clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103354

http://clubcobra.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=104543

Steve Sinnard
Hurricane Motorsports
www.hurricane-motorsports.com
712-464-3191
Old 07-20-2010, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Weight

Liam,

Quote:
You do make it too easy

You did purchase an RCM didn't you.....

STIFFY
Old 07-20-2010, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

Tim plenty of pics of the +100mm Cobra in my gallery.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon View Post
Tim plenty of pics of the +100mm Cobra in my gallery.
Thx Merv. Tho to ask the silly question, how do I find your gallery? I have not quite figured that out yet.

Thx again.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some kind of FORD thingy, with several pis tins, twin chain driven SUs feeding a Y block, apparently.
Not Ranked     
Default finding gallery

click on the camera icon below any persons avatar.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tim - this one (has some distortion) shows the side on view. 100 mm is great for leg room but hardly shows on the car. I suspect that one day they all will be longer!

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thx for the hint tomcat,

and thx too for the phot Merv. Your car looks awesome indeed, and I think the extra cockpit length if anything adds to the car.

Thx again everyone.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, Jag chassis, Holden HSV 5ltr engine, 5 speed Getrag box.
Not Ranked     

Hey new guy,

I have a std size RMC and I have plenty of room.

The car is just licensed, but as yet unpainted and untrimmed.

Seats are trimmed good enough to get licensed.

I have the drivers seat pulled forward one notch, steering column adjusted about halfway up, and have 75mm blocks under the seats (Std RMC frames & slides) to put me looking through the middle of the screen.

I am 78kg and 5ft 10", and am almost at full leg extension to push the clutch in.

I live in Maida Vale and am happy to spend some time with you to see how you would fit an RMC. If you want to call around, for a chat, and a test fit, give me a call on 0417 467 634.

regards, Graham.