Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-09-2010, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     
Exclamation This is frightening

Hi all,

I usually try to stay out of Threads, Posts and other forms of discussion on Religion or Politics.

But this just begs comment...

Yesterday I found my self nearby a Greens Party candidate in Portland Victoria. I had previously made mention of this person handing me a brochure and then stated that I was amazed at the time what I was given and reading.

But hell to listen to this candidate and friends talking, left me somewhat frightened by comments made.

Here are just a few of the comments that were made - I must say that not al were made by the candidate but some by friends supporters handing out material.

I will be brief -

here is basically what is being said....

Coal mine closure
Alternative power
Old so called aircraft, cars, motor cycle off the road entirely
Limited use of vehicles in cities
Price fuel to make it a non viable alternative to public transport or bikes
Business using fossal fuel to be closed or go to green fuels
Public transport the real alternative
Limit aircraft travel
Alternative power sources for all business
Carbon taxes on bigger business

The old car and motor cycles caught my interest.

Before I could ask the question, a Mum with her children asked how she would get around Portland and travel to Melbourne if she did not have her 1985 car.

That question was cleared up simply - The Greens would move to ban that car and you would have a better transport system.

I was shocked when a Greens supporter offered the comment that she should not be using her car, but alternatively be walking or using a bicycle.

I watched as the Mum pushed the pusher off with her small boy walking beside her. MMMMmm bright alternative.

This would be a joke if they were not getting more support.

But to hear Greens supporters and Greens candidates say that old cars would be off the road amazes me. This is not old cars that are un cared for but a blanket old car policy.

I asked what about collector vehicles.. The answer was both direct and simple.

"..we do not see collectors having any benefits that the general public don't have. Why should collectors be treated any differently they are a minority that should not be allowed to pollute"

I hope I quoted this accurately. I left before I said something I would regret....

I am not going to get Political but just say take a look at what these guys are saying. Unfortunately with the current state of play the Greens will have a lot more control and vote.

Just my $1.50 worth....
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Last edited by BMK; 08-09-2010 at 02:59 PM..
Old 08-09-2010, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #298 427 FI
Not Ranked     

I cant speak for You guys down under but in the states I would no at all surprised by those comments. Well maybe a little suprised that they were spoken publicaly but not at all surprised that they think like that.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Yes Bernie, it takes all kinds of political views to form a "middle ground" that is acceptable to the populace, at any point in time. I suspect the Greens candidate is right about many of those things. However, it is really a question of 'when'. We have witnessed significant reductions in emissions in the last century and more will follow as we become more like California in the US. Inevitably we will lose some rights and current options. Tree clearing restrictions and gun laws are examples of the public good over individual rights - always debatable.

In a recent interview the former Chair of OPEC predicted the end of the age of fossil fuels. A quite remarkable interview in which he drew a parallel by saying, "the Stone Age did not end because had no more stones! The Oil Age will end long before we run out of oil." He then went on to describe the alternatives that OPEC most fear. Solar and hybrid cars were not among the most feared alternatives.

However, Cobras are a different matter!!

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Saw an investment guru in green energy on TV. He stated the best case scenario in his view. It will be 50 years before green power reaches 25%. Not very promising for the Greenies.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

I heard them talking on the radio the other day about a cash for clunkers scheme like they had in the US. The Gumm'nt gives you $2K for your old car so you can buy a nice new lower emissions one.

What a bunch of Sh!t. No body seems to think in this equation about the resources used or the pollution created in manufacturing a new car. Compare this with maintaining an old car and keeping it tuned so it runs clean and then then think about the environmental impact. Converting them to LPG or natural gas would be an even better option.

A better option all round would be to promote the idea of people working from home and decentralizing industry. A lot of the cars on the road every day are people commuting to work.

Cheers

Old 08-09-2010, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Having realized that the US has exceeded it's quota of assho!es, I am further saddened to see they are attempting to do so in your wonderful country.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Having realized that the US has exceeded it's quota of assho!es, I am further saddened to see they are attempting to do so in your wonderful country.
Amazing isn't it about arseho!es......they appear to be everywhere !! LOL
Bit like rust really.........it all needs to be treated. we have 2 options we either cut it out or cut them off, preferably at the neck !
Rog246
Old 08-09-2010, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Yes I was quite amazed at some of the extreme views that were being put forward.

Not a general discussion but hard line Party promotion by the Greens candidate and friends.

I did not even bother to Post - here - their views on Nuclear energy etc. I was just surprised to hear the coal approach.

Not to mention their thoughts on old cars.

When asked about the car and collector rights they seemed to have an approach that we can afford fuel for our cars in this brave new world.

Yes SB100 in California has nothing on the views of these Australia Green Party guys...
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Last edited by BMK; 08-09-2010 at 09:44 PM..
Old 08-09-2010, 10:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

I just hate the hypocrisy .

The Greens candidate would have driven there in there polluting old clunker, handed out a brochure that was printed on a tree with inks that are highly toxic, in polluting factories using electricity produced by burning coal.
I am all for sustainability and the health of the planet but always feel the greens miss the target. I think you need to ask the questions like.
Do you really need 4 TVs in your house?
How come our new washing machine only lasts 2 years?
If you are cold put on a jumper!
Why do I need to travel so far to work?

Mike you should start a new party “The Blues” and the slogan could be

The blues just like the greens but with ****ing common sense!

Off my soap box

Phil

Last edited by Philm; 08-10-2010 at 12:14 AM..
Old 08-09-2010, 10:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

I am with you Phil.
I have listened with great interest in the blab going on about buying back the water in the Murray to allow higher environmental flows.
The greenies have conveniently forgotten that with the drought we are hopefully coming out of, if the dams and weirs that they hate so much where not in place the Murray would have been dry and dead years ago. However that is not the case.
If farmers are stopped from using water to grow crops in Australias largest food bowl where the f##k is the food going to come from?

Gav