Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 01:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Great. I just had a thought.. we will probably need to pay duty because 3 will take it over $1000. Should still be ok though. Are they going to give a discount on the actual price of the frame for 3? We need to work out what the cost of postage will be in Australia as well.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Im working on that one..
Possibly two screens at a time.
I will get two myself or if anyone else wants a sceen ?
At the moment its looking at being under or around $700.00 a screen frame.
Working on geting it down further yet.

Stan
Old 10-11-2010, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

As mentioned I too was advised all screen frames are the same shape (glass is same and frame is built to suit glass)
Frame manufacturers may be slightly different betewwn suppliers but esentially the glass is all the same, and the rubber seal along bottom takes up any body shape differences.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

What about provisions for attachments such as wind wings, hood bows, etc? Surely some are better than others? Stainless vs chrome plated steel... what else to consider?
Old 10-11-2010, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

From what I was advised, the better ones are chrome over brass.
I think most have holes and threads already in place for the windwings and visors.
I just had a look at my frame, reality is the assembled frame is going to be the same size box as dismanled frame, (side mounts not fitted) as my frame is one piece from the bottom outer corner, up and over the top to opposite lower corner.
So having lower piece mounted will aid in added strength.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

I bought mine from Europa Spares in the UK and then carried the whole thing back in my luggage. Wrapped in bubble wrap and cardboard and a bunch of fragile stickers on it and it survived no problems, glass intact.

With the strength of the Aussie Dollar it might be worth checking out the cost coming from the UK.

https://www.europaspares.com/COBRA_SPARES/

Cheers

Old 10-12-2010, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Liam and Sambo, and anyone eles that is after a screen, ring me on 0421004065. i need to know numbers before i go ahead and order.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

The English ones (Brasscraft) are better quality with the fit of the side posts where they wrap around the top corners. The threaded holes are on an angle with the cheaper ones which requires a little trick to get the windwings hardware to work. They are pretty much standard except the SPF has a different screen/glass. As mentioned with the wide rubber and curve along the bottom they can accomodate about any body and windscreen angle.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Stan, after we spoke during the week I asked the eBay seller for a Fedex shipping quote on a single screen without glass... $720 USD due to the size of the carton. Yikes.

He mentioned the other option where he ships to a forwarding company for $39 USD who then organise the shipping to Melbourne.

http://myus2.myus.com/Rates.aspx

The carton is 60x10x25 (inches) and weighs 45 pounds. If you click on "dimensional weight" and plug in the numbers, it's 50 pounds by that method.

So the cost is $39 (forwarding) + $276 (freight) + $27 (one month premium subscription) + $460 (screen) = $802 USD.

Not a bad price and it would take about a week to arrive. I've emailed the eBay seller to see how many screens can fit in that carton.

I'm pretty keen to keep it under the magic $1000 value to be honest, so multiple screens may not be feasible.

Last edited by sambo; 10-15-2010 at 02:36 PM..
Old 10-15-2010, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yep i found that site and told Lee about it.
the original size was 60x26x10, dimensional weight of 52 pounds. they quoted me $355.60 for that.
Looks like Lee has trimmed the box down a bit to get it to 50 pounds.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Any progress on this Stan?
Old 10-19-2010, 05:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via MSN to pezza
Not Ranked     

I bought mine several years ago from Woodsies windscreens in WA. At the time I paid $1100.00. It fitted my car far better than the one supplied by RMC and was a lot cheaper.

Woodsie's Windscreens
12 Harold St, Dianella, WA 6062

p: (08) 92728999
Old 10-19-2010, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've just ordered 2 screens from the eBay seller that Stan located. Using MyUS State side to forward to Melbourne via Fedex/DHL, they should be $800 AUD each landed, provided the Aussie remains above 95c. Includes all hardware but no glass. Will update everyone once they arrive.

Sambo
Old 10-19-2010, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

We have a guy in our local club who builds lexan windscreens. Guys in our club swear by them. From the site: "Unbreakable, Bulletproof, Crystal Clear, Abrasion Resistant, 13lb Weight Reduction...What more can you ask for?" $279.95

I have no affiliation, just know that many of the guys have gone this route when the originals glass screens crack.

Here's the link if you are interested: http://www.fastfreddiesfabrications....p?id_product=1

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)

Last edited by dcdoug; 10-20-2010 at 02:55 PM..
Old 10-19-2010, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo View Post
I've just ordered 2 screens from the eBay seller that Stan located. Using MyUS State side to forward to Melbourne via Fedex/DHL, they should be $800 AUD each landed, provided the Aussie remains above 95c. Includes all hardware but no glass. Will update everyone once they arrive.

Sambo
Hi Sambo,

Are they both for you? Was that with or without glass?

Is it worth while ordering just one?
Old 10-19-2010, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Zedn, one's for a mate. No glass as mentioned above mate. If you order just one the shipping would be about $50 more per screen but still around $800 AUD delivered at current exchange rates. I'll know exact dollars next week, once the freight forwarder receives the goods.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Venom, BF XR8 260kw, 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo View Post
Zedn, one's for a mate. No glass as mentioned above mate. If you order just one the shipping would be about $50 more per screen but still around $800 AUD delivered at current exchange rates. I'll know exact dollars next week, once the freight forwarder receives the goods.
Hi Sambo, Also interested in one, Nathan
Old 10-20-2010, 12:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nathan, my order is done. All the info is above if you want to organise yours. Credit to Stan for the ground work.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Stan,

I am not goint to go ahead with the order at this stage. I think that by the time i pay for postage up to Sydney the saving isnt really going to be worth it. I have had this incredibly stupid idea that i am going to make my own out of stainless.

I have ordered glass from O'brian and it is $140. They will have it in tomorrow and then i am going to make a frame to suit. interesting, they said if they install the glass it is $778. I suppose it is a fiddly job.

Sorry to pull out mate but going by Sambo's post i dont think it will make much difference.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Zedn, if you order a single frame using that freight forwarder it's still only $800 to metro areas. It actually costs more per unit in a bulk buy greater than 2 because of 10% GST and 5% duty (eg, over $1000). Or have a crack at it yourself, no pun intended! Very gutsy.