Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 02:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     
Default Crate engine from the US, whats the import $?

Anyone who has bought in a crate engine, what amount/% did you get smashed for import fees?
Old 10-24-2010, 03:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

I never know this either.....

I've heard different stories.....but I was looking at a website today for a crate engine builder in the U.S.A. ( Some REALLY nice looking bits of gear by the way )...but on the section regarding the costs to get them sent to Australia...

http://www.shafiroff.com/shipping.asp

It states in the fine print that we have a "Free trade agreement" between Australia and U.S.A., and that all we need to pay is G.S.T.

Is this right?

If so....there are some nice engines and other gear over there, and the cost to get them shipped over and the G.S.T. still makes them bloody good value.

I know there'll also be other considerations to keep in mind....
Any after sales service/problems for example.

Cheers,
Warren.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

No, that is not right. I was just reading the customs website and it looks like a crate engine will attract 5% import fee plus GST plus auxilary over-charge.......I just wondered if anyone could confirm this on an actual engine import that they have done?
Old 10-24-2010, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Why would you bother buying a crate engine from the States when you could have one built here in AUSTRALIA by someone just as competent if not better and they would be local so if something did **** up then you just have to go around the corner to sort it out, not have to deal with overseas builders. "what is so good about a crate engine from the states?" Have we not got any decent engine builders here in Australia.? yes we do . i know one that builds engines for Southern 80 boats. Hell of a lot better than what you need for a street car..
Jaydee likes this.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjelby View Post
i know one that builds engines for Southern 80 boats. Hell of a lot better than what you need for a street car..
And built to run completely different to a street car!!!!
And you'll pay for it $$$$...

Bang for buck you buy from the US without any of the follow up problems your suggesting and if you buy as you would here from someone reputable there are no problems !!!!
Problems start here with $$$ people here want to charge!!!!...you'll only pay it if you haven't done your research or just don't care how much it'll cost you!!!

Most believe it is too much trouble to buy from the US...See how much it'll cost for instance a 408 Windsor with the right gear in it built by K/Craft and you'll pay upto double that if built here and in most cases without the service and after sales follow-up that KC....1000's of K's away offer!!....
Sure there are the exceptions here and word of mouth referral could get you a decent deal...but they too will only build a few at that price and then screw someone else to recoupe just hope your not the POOR fark next in line!!!!......M2cw

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-24-2010, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival Kobra,LS7 427
Not Ranked     

When you import a crate motor you will have to pay 5% duty on the price of the motor you then pay 10% GST on the TOTAL cost of the Crate engine INCLUDING Freight. Still a lot cheaper than buying one here.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hmmmm. Sounds like k/craft are good to deal with.I wouldnt have thought that the price on a new motor wouldn't be that much different between here and there.Then again ,i was thinking along the lines of a factory ford or chev engine.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I should have clarified, I am talking about a new factory crate motor, unmodified, eg LS2/LS3/LS7. A 6.2 LS3 can be had for about $6200USD......show me where I can buy a brand new LS3 in Australia for under 7G and I will be lining up. If its 5% + GST as alffie says, then with freight it should be about $7500
Old 10-24-2010, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

No duty is payable.

So just 10% GST on the total landed cost(purchase price + shipping).

Plus the cost of doing the entry paperwork if you don't do it yourself. Approx. $250.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I thought so....

My understanding of a "Fair Trade agreement" is that some countries agree to trade goods between each other without any of the import duties being charged.
As long as an engine is marked as " Made in the U.S.A."....I believe it's allowed in without extra charges.....

Of course...as Craig says....that doesn't exclude it from G.S.T......but that's nothing to do with the origin of the goods being purchased.

With the Aussie buck hanging around the USD value..and if G.S.T. is all we have to consider, and of course shipping costs...at maybe $1,000-00 per engine...then some of the really nice stuff is much better value than many of the Aussie constructed engines.

That's a pity...but we should take advantage of this while it lasts I suppose.

My 2c worth.

Regards,
Warren
Old 10-24-2010, 07:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 2765 Roush 427(POS) with cruise.
Not Ranked     

I don't know why more U.S. owners arn't piping up. Buy down there, it should be just as good. I bought a Roush 427sr stroker. They rebuilt it after 6000 miles with 2 qts in 500 miles. I could build one. I maybe going where I shouldn't but screw it! Just my opinion. 209
Old 10-24-2010, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     

I have an LS7 arriving into OZ 4/11, Bought from Crate Engine Depot for $13000US, conversion was at 0.964 according to my visa statement. (wait till she sees that).
All up cost delivered door to door Gembrook Melbourne is $15127AU, no more to pay, there was no duty payable, and GST was payable on only a portion of it, Freight and charges was $1640AU, including GST, all pre cleared by Yusen Air.
Left the states on 8/10...., arriving as 2 packages 1 with engine, valued at $13000 , and 1 with accessories kit, Wiring, Ecu, marked up as goods value $600, no GST was payable.

regards

Dave
Old 10-24-2010, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Buy down there, it should be just as good

No worries....????

Isn't that what we're saying....It's not "just as good"....It's a lot more expensive in Australia.

Maybe I missed something !?
Old 10-24-2010, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     

p.s.
Cheapest price i could get in OZ was $18500 excluding the Accessories package, Wiring, ECU etc.

Also, Parts pack is coming with GM starter motor as a compromise for excluding the Aircon bits from the accessory package.

cheers
Old 10-24-2010, 10:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I dont get it - about this time last year I bought in some IT gear from the US, and customs stung me with import duty (cant remember exact amount but it was about 5%) as the AUD value was over $1000. Do you just need to get the right customs person on the right day?
Old 10-24-2010, 11:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Wazza did yr ls7 come with the gm performance
Wiring kit
Let us know how it goes
Some places here sell them but have no fing idea on the
Unit they sell and we have had afew calls about them
Let us know if u can program the ecu properly
That used to be the most asked question
Then also no wiring for gbox and some other minor stuff
I recently sold some parts to place in w a
They said they got an ls3 landed there for around 5 g

www.sideshowsperformancewiring.com.au
Old 10-24-2010, 11:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just checked my Yusen docs, declared customs value on the donk is $8632US, GST paid $895.45AU, Freight $610AU, Melb Port charges $46AU, delivery to my joint $90.
Not sure why the declared value is less than what i paid.
Looks like GST is paid on the same conversion rate of the US declared value, but even if the declared value was $13K, would have only been another $500 GST, still $3K better off.
Didn't notice this before, but it comes with a 12 month / 12K miles "international warranty"

regards

Dave
Old 10-25-2010, 12:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
Buy down there, it should be just as good

No worries....????

Isn't that what we're saying....It's not "just as good"....It's a lot more expensive in Australia.

Maybe I missed something !?
My opinion is ..... (my view is a very generic statement but is based on my own personal recent experience.) I have seen inside my recently imported VERY expensive US built race engine and have since paid my australian engine builder to fix it. (Thanks ANZ home improvemnt loan.) Note: it is NOT a std crate engine NOR meant for street use. (But its still a smokey ole windsor!)

I can't comment on crate engines for street registered cars but for big $ personal builds I'd use the great conversion rate and by US Parts and build here with someone who you can trust. My 2cents (but very expensive) learning experience.

When most engine builders run, my Oz engine builder was ringing me after each practise session checking and making sure all was going well! PLug PLug

Spookypt
Old 10-25-2010, 12:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

www.holmart.com.au
they have 6.0 lt L98 for $6280.00 gst inclusive.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena View Post
I should have clarified, I am talking about a new factory crate motor, unmodified, eg LS2/LS3/LS7. A 6.2 LS3 can be had for about $6200USD......show me where I can buy a brand new LS3 in Australia for under 7G and I will be lining up. If its 5% + GST as alffie says, then with freight it should be about $7500
From AUS LS1 Forum!!!!

Holden (ferntree gully) have l98s for $6k. LS3 were $7k I think, that was retail. Trade was a bit cheaper

They still have L98's and LS3's at that price?

Re: where to buy ls3 crate motors

Yep, was in Holden Ferntree Gully on Saturday again... Apparently they have "Bloody heaps mate".

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: