Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 10-30-2010, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     
Default Suggestions please - engine not starting.

Hi guys,
Seeking some suggestions on where or what else to look for.

Car started as per normal and went for a drive, Stopped for 15 min, went back to car, everything went as normal, imobiliser off, fuel pump primed and warning lights on however upon starting there was no engine cranking.

Not even the clicking sound when the battery is low. Anyway can push/cluch started no worries and still runs normal, electrical power is as normal.

Got home and starting checking everything that I can think of, battery has plenty of charge (swapped a battery with a full charged one just in case to test - same result), all fuses and relays that I can find appear o.k, connections for electrical behind the dash are all good.

I tried a few tests, lights on and ignition on, attempted to start however no dimming of lights which suggest that this is the link that has the issue.

At trying to start the 'start' relay clicks as normal, I have replaced this relay and still the same, fuel pump primes, warning lights on, relay clicks upon attempting to start but there is nothing.

I am at a bit of a loss so seeking suggestions.

The motor is a LS1.

Thanks in advance guys, I am confident that it is something simple as it started normally before and , runs normally, just missing the actual start.

Cheers.

Last edited by leroy17; 10-30-2010 at 02:42 PM..
Old 10-30-2010, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

starter motor.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

use a multimeter, while someone turns the key (be very careful tp keep fingers clear), measure if you have voltage across the starter motor solenoid - if you do then its starter motor, if you dont then its relay/wiring/barrel/etc
Old 10-30-2010, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

I've had two cars that had a faulty starter motor solenoid - both a while ago now. I could tap the solenoid with a rubber hammer and it'd work another few times before I had to give it a nudge again.

Not that I'm saying that hitting small things with large objects works for everyone, but it worked for me...
Old 10-30-2010, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 289 FIA #2112
Not Ranked     

How about the cables from the battery to the starter? Check for loose connection at the starter.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Get someone who can help you, then look at the starter motor, you will see a small blade terminal, take this terminal off the starter solenoid and put the test light pointy end in the wire terminal. Connect the aligator terminal end of test light to a good earth.
Now get helper to turn ignition on, make sure immobiliser is off and get them to crank, the test light should light up, if it does then fault is in starter solenoid, if it does not then fault is in wiring from ignition switch to starter.
If you want to test the starter, then run a jump wire from a 12v supply to small terminal on starter, easiest way will be to get a 6 inch length of wire, crimp on a female blade terminal and bare the wires at other end.
Now connect the female terminal to small terminal on starter solenoid and contact large bolt power wire at starter motor solenoid (battery voltage) starter should crank over, if not then starter is no good.

If you have to gain access from under the car then make sure you have good jack stands and also make sure car is in neutral.

Another thought, is your car auto or manual, because if auto it could be in the neutral start switch. (if no test light in first test)

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi guys,

Well thumbs down to me for trying to overcomplicate the non start and trying all other things.

Put the car on stands... slid underneath to get to the starter to check connections and all options as suggested above.

So what do I see??? The flat female conector was disconnected from the starter... (palm of hand slaps forhead).

Anyway, checked and cleaned all connections, crimped the connector so it will be tighter and guess what... it started....... so I went for a drive and enjoyed the afternoon.

Anyway.. thanks for the replies, really appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

We have all had such moments ...

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

I still think you should hit it with a hammer

Glad it was an easy fix.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
I still think you should hit it with a hammer

Glad it was an easy fix.

I did!!!!!

Before I slid right under I reached under to give it some love taps with the trusty hammer..... tried to start but no go..... so then I got right under and discovered the disconected wire.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

You should have just told us you found an open circuit in the starter harness.
You would have sounded like an auto sparky then.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

I felt good reading this post. 2 reasons.

1. People here are very helpfull
2. I'm not the only one who checks the most complicated areas first, only to find the answer was simple

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: