Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 11-21-2010, 01:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default CR or Harrison

Well, getting close to ordering a Cobra and have settled on a classic revival or harrison (like the factory five but would rather source from this country). How did CR/Harrison owners get on with the builds? let me know the full story, warts and all (please pm if you dont want to air your dirty linen). I would really like to know any pitfalls you came across before I part with my hard earned.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Where are you located and how did you narrow it down to those two?
Old 11-21-2010, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #73 with an L76 6 litre CHEV, T56, 6SPEED,R32 Rear end.
Not Ranked     
Default Harrison comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl.wright View Post
Well, getting close to ordering a Cobra and have settled on a classic revival or harrison (like the factory five but would rather source from this country). How did CR/Harrison owners get on with the builds? let me know the full story, warts and all (please pm if you dont want to air your dirty linen). I would really like to know any pitfalls you came across before I part with my hard earned.

I can only comment on the Harrison.
The build is relatively easy and uses easy to source parts, is track proven, looks great. The body is great out of the moulds and my painter was impressed with it making his job easier.
Warwick Harrison is a very approachable guy who is always just a phone call away with advice and any help you may need.

Good luck
Mick

Paul , he is in the A.C.T.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #102 Ford 5l Fuel Injected AU 2
Not Ranked     

Remember these cars are ICV's and will never be exactly the same from each builder.
Consider if you want a road car you must pass local regulation so if you are in or intending to reg, in QLD, Torsion frame testing Fibre Glass all local approvals are documented by both the 2 major builders so engineering is much easier. The build follow up, the Harrison I couldn't ask for better basic down to earth straight forward answers and extra diag,if needed, as the other respondents have indicated parts are redily available and at reasonable costs
enjoy the journey
Trevor W
Old 11-21-2010, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

I would go along with all that Trevor and Mick have said. The chassis is a terrific one with a very strong rear end and torsion and side impact testing done. Warwick is great to deal with and there are lots of us to help!

For me the final clincher was the option of the extended body. I have been so grateful that I did that.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi sambo. Im in canberra. i've narrowed it down to those by 1. lots of people are recommending the harrison and 2. i like the look/price of the classic revival and that it uses alot of ve commodore parts which are plentiful and cheap. their both great looking bodies with, it seems not much to chose between the two.

Mark

Last edited by mdl.wright; 11-22-2010 at 01:47 AM..
Old 11-22-2010, 01:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     

I cant comment on the build ease of either and i haven't received my CR3514 yet, due in early Jan, but i went through this same decision process short time ago, I spoke at length to both Warrick and Ian from CR, both seem approachable and supportive, i went to most of the main guys and the Harrison & Classic Revival seemed the most well engineered, In the end i felt both these cars were equally a good choice but i chose the CR because i loved that big twin tube chassis,
My suggestion is go and visit them, ask all the questions you can about the build, check the documentation provided and i don't think you will be disappointed with either anyway.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3508 6Litre LS2
Not Ranked     

I went thru this same process with RMC, DRB, Harrison and Classic Revival.
I found that Warwick was great to talk to and very helpful but at the time there was quite a long wait for supply from both DRB and Harrison, if I recall correctly. RMC quoted about $1800.00 for delivery to Sydney.
I had spoken to Ian from Classic Revival earlier and decided to go up to Hornsby to have a look at his workshop and took the minister for finance with me, Like DaveW, I was impressed by the strength of the chassis.
Ian is a quiet guy so have a list of questions with you as he doesn't push for a sale and doesn't volunteer a lot of info initially. However I found him to be very helpful and he continues to be so down the track and believe me I ask some stupid questions.
I'll send you a PM with my details.

Dennis
Old 11-22-2010, 02:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Both would make a good car.

I like the fact that I can pull the body of the CR, it helps during the build.

Also the interior "tub" and boot are all part of the body, so the interior is a breeze to do.

Good luck!

Ben
Old 11-22-2010, 02:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3508 6Litre LS2
Not Ranked     

mdl,
you have a PM
Old 11-22-2010, 03:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Most people only get to build one or the other kit.

While reading the testimonials it occurred to me that reading the posts people made about their build while they were in the midst of it would be a good way gettin an insight.

Are they saying things like:

' ... I cant believe its going together so quickly and easily...'

or - did they form a self help group. (?!)

And of course - those posts might be a reflection on the poster(s) rather than the product.

read, read, read - there's plenty in here to read.

But make sure you pull the trigger & Good Luck

LoBelly
Old 11-22-2010, 03:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

I have done the comparison also, and am electing for a CR.

I think both are as good as each other, the CR has it for me because of the tubular chassis, and I think the body looks better. Apart from these two reasons, as I say I think they're both as good as each other.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

I gather that both bodies are very similar. Is there much difference in weight? I would guess that the CR is heavier, but that could just be the tubes.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon View Post
I gather that both bodies are very similar. Is there much difference in weight? I would guess that the CR is heavier, but that could just be the tubes.
Hey Merv, thats the last thing I need to do - is weight the bugger. I am going to go to a weighbridge at the local recycling centre and pay a couple of bucks or offer the guy a ride to weigh my Cobra.

Its something that I will be keen to know (and will share).

I pretty well echo everybody's comments. Its borderline between the Harrisson and CR.

One thing I misssed was not having my builder close by to go and and see and ask questions.

My problem was that I was (I think) the first of the new CR chassis so I had nobody in VIC who I could go and physically visit to see how some things were done. Most of the time I overcame this be pesteringIan on the phone. He oblidged without any problems. I sometimes even sent him photos to explain.

During my build I rang Ian every day for about 4 weeks at one stage. He answered the phone or rang me back everytime. This was most impressive.

Anyway I think you will be happy with either choice.

I even got my fake side pipes from Warwick - so does that mean I have a hybrid i.e.; Classic Harrison or Harrison Revival :-)

Rgds

Gregg
Old 11-22-2010, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well done Gregg. I like the hybrid idea. It could catch on.

I was calling Warwick (I was 200 kms away) almost every day and sometimes more than once a day. He wearied of the calls but never complained and was always helpful. As you say the network of previous and current builders is crucial. It is payback time, and I am helping several other Harrison builders up this way now, not that some of them need much help!

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I am in the same boat as Ben in that my car is the older square tube chassis (AU Falcon rear)

I consider myself fairly mechanically minded and if you sit back and look at a problem it is easily worked out.
But I did not have many problems with the kit as such (things lined up and all went well) it was more a lack of info with what goes were.
I personally only rang Ian twice I think (I did not want to disrupt him) but in both instances he was helpful.

Being that your in Canberra it is not a case that you can go around the block and see what needs to be done (same for myself - Alice Springs, Gav - Mildura and no doubt many others) so getting in contact with guys who have built the same kit as yours is a really helpful thing.
As I have said in the past my 2 choices came down to same as yours and the final choice came down to body off option.
Also the body on my CR was pretty good straight out of the mold, I have spent about half a day sanding ridges off and then a squirt in tinted primer, it aint no show winner but still looks good (would be not as good if paint was reflective)

Everyone who jumps in my car comments on how big the footwells are.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     

[quote=gjkrv8;1091300]
One thing I misssed was not having my builder close by to go and and see and ask questions.
My problem was that I was (I think) the first of the new CR chassis so I had nobody in VIC who I could go and physically visit to see how some things were done.

Hey Gregg, being just over the hill from you, along the nice long windy Dandenong Ranges.......i hopefully wont have that problem........

Dave

Last edited by DaveW; 11-22-2010 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: unfinished post
Old 11-22-2010, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

[quote=DaveW;1091327]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjkrv8 View Post
My problem was that I was (I think) the first of the new CR chassis so I had nobody in VIC who I could go and physically visit to see how some things were done.

Hey Gregg, being just over the hill from you, along the nice long windy Dandenong Ranges.......i hopefully wont have that problem........

Dave
Sure thing Dave. I am in Eastern Suburbs so even closer. Last week I went over to another club members place to have a look at his CR build and compare as my front roll bar is hitting my brake calipers on nearly full lock. Looks like in the later model Ian uses a new bar and mounting arrangement. Will have to investigate further.

Rgds

gregg

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: