Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 04:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     
Default LS Crate Motors

If anyone is planning on buying an LS3 or L98 crate motor, i just noticed that holmart have some stocks at good prices. Might be worth buying yourself a christmas present.

The LS3 is a very good price.

http://holmart.com.au/online/category5_1.htm
Old 12-17-2010, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr...id=776cPath=96

The coyote is getting cheaper too.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

You can get LS3's online from the US for about $6100 USD. Dont know what shipping would cost would I would imagine it to be under $1000. So long as the dollar hovers around 98-99 they're good buying.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

That's a good price for the new Ford. It has really come down.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena View Post
You can get LS3's online from the US for about $6100 USD. Dont know what shipping would cost would I would imagine it to be under $1000. So long as the dollar hovers around 98-99 they're good buying.
$6100 + GST, Duty, shipping, currency conversion to Aus, foreign currency conversion from your credit card. I reckon that would be the same or a bit more. Easier to buy in Australia especially if there is a problem.

Coyote would be worth it for a Ford lover.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

If your friendly Internet crate seller writes "made and sold in the USA" on the box, then there is no duty, I believe? (and at 99c, $6100 USD = $6162 AUD )

regardless, you are right that under $8K for a local deliver is damn cheap any way you slice it.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena View Post
If your friendly Internet crate seller writes "made and sold in the USA" on the box, then there is no duty, I believe? (and at 99c, $6100 USD = $6162 AUD )

regardless, you are right that under $8K for a local deliver is damn cheap any way you slice it.
I havnt heard of that before. Is that a fair trade agreement? There would still be GST of $610 wouldnt there?
Old 12-18-2010, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I dont know how correct this is, but I was told that since it is a "part" and not an assembly, then no GST

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Anything over $1000 gets slapped with GST as it comes in.
An invoice is required on the crate, and that will be the price that the GST is calculated on.
Read into that what you will!
Old 12-18-2010, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     

Howdy,
I have done this recently,
There is a free trade agreement with the U.S, There is no import duties applicable unless it is a car or wine., a car with out driveline is considered parts.

Anything over $1000AU in value, will attract GST on the total amount of the declared value, which includes all freight and packaging.

If the goods are not made in the U.S, even if you import via the U.S. you will attract a 5% ~ 15% import duty depending on the nature of the goods, i.e. electronics, carparts, wine, videos...
The import documents must declare "Made in USA" to avoid the duties.
I also paid port clearances fees, not sure how this is determined, but it was about $45AU, I think it depends on how it is shipped.

The other consideration is the packaging must be ISPM compliant, that means it must be certified by the International Phytosanitary plant protection convention. (bug free)., if its not you will pay dearly when the customs confiscates it and gives you the choice of scrap the goods or pay for fumigation.
This applies to any timber products coming into Australia, i.e crates, including wood wool and other timber packaging bits and pieces.
Make sure the packaging is ISPM 15 compliant.

Expect to pay about $600~$800US for freight, (mine was $690 for an LS7 via Yusen with all clearances paid), and then GST on the total declared value,

regards

Dave
Old 12-19-2010, 12:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good info, thanks Dave
Old 12-19-2010, 04:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

This is from the customes website, an example when the item is over $1000- AUD.

How is duty and GST calculated?
The Customs value of goods imported into Australia is known as the ‘transaction value’. It is usually the amount you paid for your goods, converted to Australian currency. The exchange rate that is used is the rate applied on the day the goods were posted (exported).

When the goods you import are valued at more than A$1000, or include alcohol or tobacco products of any value, a Customs value is used as the basis for calculating the amount of any duty and/or GST and other taxes payable.

Duty payable is calculated on the Customs value of the goods. Relevant duty rates are determined by the Customs Tariff Act 1995 and are applicable at the time an import declaration is made.

GST is paid on the Value of the Taxable Importation (VoTI). The VoTI is the sum of the Customs value, transport and insurance costs (or postage and insurance) plus any duty payable and WET payable.

Below is an example calculation for an electric sound amplifier with a duty rate of 5%. The purchase price was US$1,274 and the exchange rate on the day it was exported was 0.9100 (A$1 = US$0.91). The postage and insurance was US$118.30

Customs value converted to Australian currency = US$1274/0.9100 = A$1,400.00

Postage and insurance converted = US$118.30/0.9100 = A$130.00

Duty (amount payable) = 5% of A$1,400 = A$70.00

VoTI = (customs value + duty + postage and insurance)

= A$1,400 + A$70 + A$130 = A$1600.00

GST = 10% of VoTI (amount payable)

= 10% of A$1,600 = A$160.00

Amount payable to Customs and Border Protection

Duty + GST = A$70.00 + A$160 = A$230.00

Plus import declaration (lodged by document) processing charge of A$48.85
Total payable = A$230.00 + A$48.85 = A$278.85
Old 12-19-2010, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     

There is so much conflicting information, i didnt pay any duties on my engine, I asked Yusen when i booked them to do the freight and customs broking and they told me then that there would be no duties as car parts were outside of the protected industries agreement of AUSFTA (Australian United States Free Trade Agreement).
I looked up my docs last night, the only fees and charges were $48.50 covering port clearance and customs charges, and GST Payable immediately, not defer-able, I had already paid this to Yusen based on there calculation of the VOTI before the goods arrived (which was incidentally the exact amount declared on the US customs value declaration)

This was all i could find on the Government site

"Under AUSFTA, Australia and the United States have agreed to eliminate customs duties on goods originating from the other country. While many agriculture, non-agriculture and manufacturing tariffs were eliminated from 1 January 2005, the elimination of other tariffs will occur in accordance with each country’s schedules under the Agreement. "

However i did find exactly what Leroy stated on the Auspost site as well, however it was very skewed towards ebay purchases and China.

Maybe there's a difference between Commercial consumption & Private consumption. ?

There must have been other import stories on this forum

Getting back to the original thread, i would probably buy the LS3 from Holmart for the small difference if any, and I'm damn sure they wont be making a loss on these, so as usual goes to show how much your ripped off at the retail counter.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, spent an hour delving into the bowls of the australian government, no wonder nobody knows what the F*%& its supposed to be.
Things i've found , see links below.
Summary,
Import duties were changed on 1/1/2010
http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re...es/ACN0949.pdf

Car parts are chapter 87 of the customs tariff schedule (parts a,b,c)
http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re...r87goods_b.pdf

In general, 5% duty on parts over $1K VOTI
exceptions,
Replacement Parts or Reproduction parts for vehicles over 30 years old - Free

Unless indicated in Schedule 5, rates for US originating goods are Free.
http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re...schedule5c.pdf

So.... depending on what the part is and how old the vehicle is will determine the rate.

Find the part category, then check its reference number in the last link (schedule 5c)

then wish for an hour of your life back....i'm still confused, couldnt find engines, but my brain died an hour ago
Old 12-19-2010, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
Well, spent an hour delving into the bowls of the australian government, no wonder nobody knows what the F*%& its supposed to be.
Things i've found , see links below.
Summary,
Import duties were changed on 1/1/2010
http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re...es/ACN0949.pdf

Car parts are chapter 87 of the customs tariff schedule (parts a,b,c)
http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re...r87goods_b.pdf

In general, 5% duty on parts over $1K VOTI
exceptions,
Replacement Parts or Reproduction parts for vehicles over 30 years old - Free

Unless indicated in Schedule 5, rates for US originating goods are Free.
http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re...schedule5c.pdf

So.... depending on what the part is and how old the vehicle is will determine the rate.

Find the part category, then check its reference number in the last link (schedule 5c)

then wish for an hour of your life back....i'm still confused, couldnt find engines, but my brain died an hour ago
NO DUTY IF YOUR SUPPLIER FILLS OUT A FORM DECLARING THE ITEM MADE IN USA!!!

I just bought an engine in and was charged no duty but was charged GST on item plus freight. Hunt around for a cheap customs broker. Some are really expensive!! 400TT could prob arrange for a small fee??
Old 12-19-2010, 09:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Towmaster, that makes 2 of us - nil duty, what engine did you bring in ?

Dave
Old 01-23-2011, 03:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison supercharged
Send a message via MSN to hsv300 Send a message via Skype™ to hsv300
Not Ranked     

This is nice for the Lsx guys
AutoblogNews: Barrett-Jackson 2011: GM auctions off first LSX454R crate engine http://bit.ly/gRcL2I
Old 01-23-2011, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
Towmaster, that makes 2 of us - nil duty, what engine did you bring in ?

Dave
Dave,

Bought in a 363 Dart short block from FordStrokers.com
All good so far with that part of it, having a few fuel issues atm just trying to sort out.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Where does GM have the LS motors made now US/ Canada or Mexico. If they are made in Canada or Mexico would you have to pay Duty?