Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 02:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     
Default Anaconda

One of our Sunshine Coast members has a very nice Anaconda Cobra from 1994. Can anyone tell me the history and construction of these cars?

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Les will have more of the history, but my recollection is that Russ Clifford was the Queensland agent for RMC. The cars were sold as Anacondas from around 1989? I bought chassis 029 Anaconda from Frank Ashman. I'm pretty sure Don H, Ian A, Bill B and Tony O's RMCs are all Anacondas.

Here was mine:

Old 12-28-2010, 03:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Merv, the Anaconda was sold in Queensland by a Rick Percival of Yeronga and a Connor Craig of the North Coast somewhere (I think Buderim) under the Trading Name of AC Cars Anaconda. It had type approval in Queensland by the authorities and is, as far as I know, the only Cobra replica to endure and pass a multitude of tests to gain approval. It was then the only Cobra approved for use in Queensland.

It utilized a series 2 Jag front end and a Jag rear. Originally approved with a 302 Ford Windsor and a top loader or single rail box. To be accepted by Main Roads (in those days) it had to be built strictly to a published build standard and registration approval was conducted by comparison to that standard.

By the way, the tests I refer included a finished car being filled (literally) with damp sand to check the burst strength of the door latches. I'm also led to believe that prior to the tests the chassis was a single plane ladder chassis and they had to improve the side intrusion and did so by adding a second side rail.

The partnership of the above gentlemen dissolved when Conner Craig went to the gulf and attempted to assemble and sell the car in the United Arab Emirates. Rick Percival then purchased the Windmill snack bar on Wickham Terrace.

The car is highly respected by those who were around in those days and know the history of the Cobra replica business in Queensland. All this, by the way, was way before Dennis Bedford started making the first series DRB.

I'm also told a couple of the very early DRB cobras were registered using the Anaconda type approval and without an inspection. Merely a Stat Dec of build.

Having said all that, the car was then and is still manufactured by RMC.

The two gentlemen referred to above were the sole Queensland Distributor of the RMC ( via their Trading name) and sold it as the Anaconda.

In fact my car was one of the last three Anaconda built and was destined to go to the Arab Emirates as a left hand drive car. Conflict in the gulf caused Connor Craig to abandon that idea and after a while those three cars were sold off.

That help at all.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oops - so my recollection isn't too accurate then! Rick is who I was thinking of. Was Russ Clifford the Robnell distributor at the time? If not, I'm going to sit aside quietly and not add anything further to this thread!
Old 12-28-2010, 04:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

What about Mike Moylan ?
Old 12-28-2010, 04:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
Oops - so my recollection isn't too accurate then! Rick is who I was thinking of. Was Russ Clifford the Robnell distributor at the time? If not, I'm going to sit aside quietly and not add anything further to this thread!

Most of the history I posted Craig was prior Russ Clifford distributing the Robnell.

The first demo car built in Queensland was a black car with the rear bulkhead upholstered as the seat backs but in a bench like form.

After the demise of Anaconda a John Smith of Wynnum became the RMC agent but his involvement with RMC came to an end when a friend of his wife regularly saw him driving a pretty young blonde from Tamborine around in the cobra. She (the wife) eventually took him to the cleaners.

In fact, when I was hunting for a cobra I was referred to John Smith and I arranged to look at the demo car. When I arrived at Johns place he showed me the black car all shiny in the shed but refused me a drive as he had just polished it and didn't want to get it dirty.

That ended his likelihood of a sale.

Rick Percival still had his Cobra, powered by a 302 with a small B&M on top. He dropped into my Company in West end one day and that's when I found out about the remaining three cars.

Last edited by Rebel1; 12-28-2010 at 04:28 AM..
Old 12-28-2010, 04:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob. Smith View Post
What about Mike Moylan ?
Rob, Mike was the owner of RMC in WA. He made the cars but they were originally sold as Anacondas in Queensland.

Rick and Connor just bought the bodies and chassis from Mike as they were the RMC distributors.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

Thanks Les and Craig. Sian and Mark up here have a nice light green 94 that has a carby engine. It is very well built and has great seats and a very tidy engine bay. They and their two boys just love the car, but did not know much of its history. I will pass your information on to them. It just shows, as does Don's post about the Arnz, that some of the older cars are excellent, if well maintained.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Merv, Connor Craigs car was a light metallic green and had live side pipes covered by a perforated stainless heat shield.

If the car you refer has side pipe cut outs then it may well be the same car.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That sounds like the one Les. Also dark green leather seats. Will see if I can find a pic.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This may well be the car then Les? However the side pipes are not covered.

Merv

justcobra likes this.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I kept all of the paperwork that came with the car that Frank purchased from Rick Percival, and managed to dig it up this morning. Here's the first page of the sales brochure, plus the order form. I also have the build manual, spec sheets and drawings for such things as windscreen placement, handbrake cable support bracket, exhaust heat shields, boot latch configuration, brake pipe layout, etc, etc There are the original engine specs as determined by Ron Richards Engine Development Centre in West End.

Les - do you have this paperwork? If not, I'll scan everything at work and send it over to you. For now, here are a couple of dodgy mobile phone pics to test your eyesight!

Old 12-28-2010, 09:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's been a while but looks very similar to the car I remember Merv. The car Connor built had live side pipes. I remember following him thru Kedron once on a wet day and it sounded very mean and attracted heaps of attention with steam coming off the pipes.

Remember in those days there were not a lot of Cobras around so the sight of one caused an almost instant traffic jam.

Connor drove around on trade plates for a long time as he couldn't register it with the pipes. The build standard allowed headers and cats on a carby engine so the live side pipes were a no no.

I suspect when he decided to go to the United Arab Emirates he prolly took the pipes off to register it. I know he was selling off all his assets to fund the project.

He actually did sell a car to some sheik who raced it over there and I think that's what gave him the idea to set up a business in the place.

What I do know is that they did sell a heap of kits in Queensland. Much more than the number of RMC's around would indicate. Although I must say that many RMC owners don't get too involved in the Cobra club for some reason.

In the very early days there was Rick Percival with his car, Bill Jorgenson from Mango Hill (he still has his), Glenn Stewart (he still has his) Frank Ashman came a littler later( he made many sets of side pipes), a fella from Wavell Heights (can't remember his name) with a Robnell, who used to hang out together a lot. They would display their cars at the car shows just for the heck of it. They could often often be seen parked side by side at lakeside.

When John Brown got the agency after Anaconda ceased to exist, he would rent isle space in the shopping centers to display the black demo car and promote sales of the kit.

Pity the guy couldn't keep his pecker in his pants as the cobra scene really started to boil after a couple of years, hence the manufacture of the DRB.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Craig, My order is the same paper as that pic you posted. I don't have the promotional letter from Rick though. I do have the original build manual which has all the drawings for the bits and pieces etc. Even has a pic of the RMC with a hard top said to be available from the factory.

All Photocopied stuff mind you.

Rick Percival was an ex bank manager who lived on the river front in Brisbane Corso. It is said he made a killing after the 74 floods and bought up a hand full of water soaked houses from dis enchanted owners who sold for a song because of insufficient insurance, delinquent loans etc. He was in the right place at the right time.

Damn, I would love times to be like they were then.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Actually Craig, Ron Richards of west end developed the engine which was accepted as the approved engine.

However, there were two engine builders recommended. Ron Richards was the preferred and there was also John White of Buranda.

EDIT: Actually if you look at the chassis pics in the build manual you'll see some are of a single rail chassis and others of the later twin rail chassis. The build manual was a work in progress as the Black car was built (single rail) and Ricks and Connors own twin rail cars.

Last edited by Rebel1; 12-28-2010 at 10:19 PM..
Old 12-28-2010, 10:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So based on what you've told us about Connor and Rick, go back and read the second paragraph of the letter above....

Well, we don't want your spouse.... (Connor does!!!)
we don't want your mortgage... (Rick does!!!)
Old 12-28-2010, 10:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hehehehe trust you to recognize that Craig ... but very fitting indeed. ).

There is no way I'm going into details but in those days cobra ownership was very ermmmmmm exclusive. ( gotta be a better word for it.)

But there were a couple of wives change owners. ) )
Old 12-28-2010, 11:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That guy lived just around the corner from us in Yeronga. I know that Sian and Mark, the current owners of the one here, would be interested in a copy of that build manual Craig. They keep the car in perfect form and would love to see the build manual. Their motor is a beauty.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Im looking at the prices that were charged back in the ninety's
Really not a great difference from todays prices.!
Old 12-29-2010, 02:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No worries Merv. I'll be back at work next week and scan the Anaconda stuff.

I was surprised at the price of the body/chassis as well. Dad's factory built Arntz is another example - in a magazine test in 1981, the car was listed at $40K+ USD!!!