Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 02:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, VE L98 + T56
Not Ranked     
Default Another vote for Tirerack!

I decided to take advantage of the high $AU and get some tyres, and the overall experience was very good, in fact I ended up getting a pair of Kuhmo 18"s for my SS Comedy door at the same time, and they were just about free, even including customs duty, GST and freight, I was surprised that my Bank, Westpac, were only going to charge me $20.00 for the $ transfer fee to the USA, but when I did it, their exchange rate was about 2 cents different to what I expected, in their favour! Surprise, Surprise.
I ordered them on the 28-9-10, and they were delivered today 6-10-10. Pretty good service I reckon.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yes very good indeed. My wife has a BMW and those run flat tyres are ridiculously expensive over here...... but on Tire Rack....
Old 10-06-2010, 02:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I am not bagging Tire rack because yes the prices are very good.
But dont give up on asking your local suppleir to try to meet the Tirerack price.

Price I got from Tire rack was $980US. (I would have to arrange fitting and balancing, plus cost from bank, plus whatever exchange rate was going to be)
My local agent contacted Kumho and was able to supply me the same tyres including fitting and balance for $1100 AU

Does not hurt to ask.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Dave, I asked my local Beaurepairs and they were twice the price and wouldn't budge. I then pointed out the tirerack pricing and he suddenly became very disinterested in any further discussions. I tried another few places and had a similar experience. It's clear to me that there's some organised price fixing going on. Even after paying for UPS delivery, local fitting and balancing there's around $200 saved per tire. It's a joke.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

I love buying parts from the States with the dollar sky high!!! Not tyres, but I just bought some high volume fuel injectors for an upcoming EFI conversion. Up to $115 each ($920/set) over here, I had the full set of 8 delivered in 4 days for a total of $350AUD to my door!!!
Old 10-06-2010, 01:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

750HP

Who did you buy through..

Summit, Jegs...
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 10-06-2010, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Bernie, it was Holley's Ebay "factory outlet" store. It's username holleyperformance on Ebay US.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

I got 4 Sumos from Tirerack delivered to my door for the price of 1 rear 315x17 at the local dealer. That price included $US192 freight. We are being ripped off by the local dealers and they will never get any support from me.

Baz
Old 10-07-2010, 12:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

I don't know that it's the dealers doing the ripping off, perhaps more the whole supply chain from manufacturer down into Australia. I'm not sure that a tyre franchise makes all that much money.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena View Post
I don't know that it's the dealers doing the ripping off, perhaps more the whole supply chain from manufacturer down into Australia. I'm not sure that a tyre franchise makes all that much money.
Sorry mate,

Bad choice of words.

I realize that It's the heirachy of the tyre companies in Australia that sets the tyre prices and they are the ones reaping the massive profits, similar setup to the oil companies. Filled up this morning at $1.06. Came past the same servo two hours later and its was $1,30. Unfortunately, Tirerack doesn't sell petrol.

Baz
Old 10-07-2010, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Most of the guys here can't buys the tyres for the prices that Tire Rack sells them for.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena View Post
Its been a while like 17 years but in a former life I was a ' Rubber Grub '- ie worked in the tyre industry (some say I'm still a grub-however that's another story entirely!!) The margin then was 10-15% & I can't see that it would have changed all that much. As Modena says the margin is at the distributor end not at the retail end. The tyre market was/is all about unit sales more so than GP dollars, with generous rebates based solely on the number of units flogged-hope this helps explain the situation. The margin is skinny which explains why tyre retailers now try & flog you an ' insurance/road warranty policy for $x 's-its solely to add to the bottom line as in reality the number of claims they they have to payout on is very very low !
Rog

Harrison #100
Old 10-07-2010, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

Sambo, atleast ya gave em a go to come close.

I agree it is the supplier to the retailer where the price hikes most likely are.
That is why my supplier went back to Kumho and asked WTF.

The suppliers need to realise it is a world market now.

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, VE L98 + T56
Not Ranked     

I contacted Yokohama Tyres to see if there was any chance of a reduction as Kuhmo did for boxhead, but the "Madame Curie of tyres" told me the tyres would be different as our roads are worse here than USA!!!!!. She also told me I would not get a warranty by importing, I got to thinking, of the many dozens of truck and car tyres I have purchased over the years, I have never had a tyre fail due to a manufacturing fault. I recon it would be hard to prove a manufacturing fault anyway as if it delaminated, they would probably say it was run with too low air pressure or something.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

even if you did get 1 failure in 100....replace that 1 from Tirerack and you're still in front.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It's difficult when there is only one Kumho motorsport tyre supplier in Queensland.... Normal tyre retailers can't buy the real semi slicks i.e. Ecsta V700 from Kumho. They have to come from the one guy. His price for 245 and 275 in 17" is over $2000. I got all 4 landed with all duties paid for AU$1100.... About half price.....
Old 10-16-2010, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk4 Roadster, LS3, TR6060, 8 3/4"
Not Ranked     

Question: this kit I have ordered comes with Hallibrand 17x9's for the front, and 17x10.5's for the back. What size tyres, and brands, are we using on these rims?

Thx
Old 10-16-2010, 09:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

I recently bought two Potenza tires from Tirerack. They turned out to be junk. I called them back and they told me they don't guarantee the tires the manufacturer does. They told me to contact Bridgestone. My Bridgestone dealer says it's Tirerack's problem. So now I have two Bridgestone POS tires that neither Bridgestone nor Tirerack will replace. I'll never go to Tirerack again.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just recently bought Kumho KU36 tyres, and have since traveled over 5000kls on them, no problem at all, hit plenty of hard potholes at speed and did not damage a tyre.

Cruising in 5th

Old 10-16-2010, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob In Ct View Post
I recently bought two Potenza tires from Tirerack. They turned out to be junk. I called them back and they told me they don't guarantee the tires the manufacturer does. They told me to contact Bridgestone. My Bridgestone dealer says it's Tirerack's problem. So now I have two Bridgestone POS tires that neither Bridgestone nor Tirerack will replace. I'll never go to Tirerack again.
Hi Bob, Tire Rack is correct, I worked in the TYRE Industry for about 13 yrs, and ALL warranty claims are handled by the manufacture. Your local Bridgestone dealer is ducking his responsibility as a Bridgestone dealer. Go put the acid on him! It costs him NOTHING..he's most likely peaved that you didn't buy them from him or call the distributor & ask them. In my experience Bridgestone are very helpfull, besides you've got noyhing to loose at this point do you !??
Rog

Harrison #100