Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jason, must be time to catch up and go for a run again.

Side pipes are not allowed in WA...... We follow the same rules as every other state. What we can do is apply for an exemption to run a left hand side side pipe. There are conditions to running this and they must be adhered to. Same goes for full racing harness etc etc.

There is quite a big difference between new registration and personal imports.

Nothing needs to fall off a new kit if it is built to the regulations wherever it is from.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax 427, LS7, 571bhp, Tremec 6 Speed TR6060 Magnum
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Read
Not Ranked     

Hi Jason,

Think the comedian you refer to is Mike Reid ... he died on 29 July 2007, so it is just as well I'm not him!

Thanks for the info on your import ... I'd read your thread on your import already but assumed that WA and SA would have different regulations ... I think that was where I picked up on some States having banned sidepipes. The States and Territories all seem to work separately to each other for non-federal stuff!

I've got headrests fitted on my 427 ... to pass IVA in the UK now, you have to have headrests fitted that also comply with seat belt height rules. DJS has designed them so that they can be removed leaving the lower part of the seat for a more authentic look, but I prefer to drive with them in place and not run the risk of cracking my skull open on the roll hoop if someone hits me in the back! You can see them in my photo's if you click on the camera.

Regards, Mike
Old 02-04-2011, 07:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DAX Tojeiro SBC
Not Ranked     

Oh yeah wrong spelling. He was good in Snatch.

Nice looking Cobra example you have there and that engine ...well it rocks. "Heidelberg" on here also has one in his Superformance. Beautiful.

Quite a neat idea by DJ to only modify the seats so the head rests can be removed if required. I have exactly the same Willens race harnesses as you but as Cobber says the regs don't allow them unless you have an exemption. Another one that the Personal Import allowed thank goodness.

I had read about the SVA being replaced with IVA but lost interest once I was over here. They really seem to be trying to get rid of kit cars in the uk by making it harder and harder to pass the inspection. I failed the SVA as he said the side pipes were illegal. I pointed out that they had been inspected AND approved by Mr. Inspectorate but he didn't listen (civil servant, white lab coat etc..) One call to Peter Walker and the sh1t hit the fan and he apologised the next time around.

One thing I will say about driving it over here is that it seems to arouse some sort of hormone in UTE drivers who leave huge black no. 11s on the road whenever I am within about 20 metres of them. Bizarre.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hoon

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

A Dog is not just for Christmas; If sliced thinly enough, it can last until Easter.

Dax TojSBC 377 3550 BOx

Old 02-04-2011, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Mike, as you are gathering, the rules differ between all states and territories here in OZ.
If I was in your shoes, I would contact the people who will be saying yes or no, get in touch with SA Motor Vehicle Registry.
http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/index.asp

I would let them know exactly where your at with the car, ie is it a new build just registered?
Is it new and not registered, etc.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.

Last edited by boxhead; 02-04-2011 at 08:07 PM..
Old 02-05-2011, 03:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jason,

IVA in the UK certainly has made it a little more difficult with new regs about sharps contactable in a forwards direction ... practically everything has to have a 2.5mm radius on it ... my momo steering wheel failed because the spokes have a 2mm radius!, the Cobra indicators on the nose fail as they are too low, so we have to fit motorcycle indicators to the upper front bumper supports, and the allowed exhaust noise level has been reduced from 101db to 99db, which has been difficult to achieve on my engine as the test requires the engine to be revved at 70% of max power, which means 4,500 rpm on my LS7, which is mighty high and loud on a 7 litre engine!

I'm actually getting the noise from the engine overtaking the noise from the exhausts, so I'm currently putting sound deadening material under the bonnet and over the firewall and also blocking off the side vents, to try to lose the errant 2db! The car goes in for retest on 15th and it sounds a lot quieter, so hopefully it will pass this time!

Hi Boxhead,

Thanks for the SA gov. site ... I'm actually thinking of importing my VW Touareg and have been on the site already trying to work out what all the duties, including LCT will be. It's not simple, and it looks like customs use the original paid value for the car rather than the depreciated value, unless the car is 25 years old! My V10 is 8 years old and in the UK would sell for less than GBP8k, but it was 58k new ... no wonder 2nd hand cars are so expensive in Aus ... here they practically lose all value once they are 3 years old and out of warranty!

The import rules say there are allowances for returning Australians bringing in their personal car, but don't say what the allowances are .... just one of the many things I will have to sort out before making the move down under ... but selling the house in the current market here is proving the biggest hurdle!

Regards, Mike
Old 02-05-2011, 04:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Mike, if you bring it to Australia you will have to change a bunch of things - seat belts, etc. (not sure how that motor with a carb' will go in SA), but the difficulty in doing all that may be as much as getting an Australian car built/registered anyway. I would tend to bring the car and see how you go. Depends how attached you are to the Dax.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you have owned and have had the cars registered in your name you can bring them over as a personal import.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...f/VSB10_09.pdf

I would strongly suggest dropping Jason (Purge98) a PM he has been through the process and can tell you how it went in more detail.

Many of the theAustralian regulations accept or even dictate european compliance for example we must have "E" marked lights etc.

Oh and Mike if you leave that car to rust away in the UK you must be mad, that is one beautiful car and would have no problems with rego over here. Well done a fantastic build.

Last edited by *Cobber*; 02-05-2011 at 05:57 PM..
Old 02-05-2011, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Cobber* View Post
Many of the theAustralian regulations accept or even dictate european compliance for example we must have "E" marked lights etc.
Exactly. Some areas of our ADR's are virtually word for word from the EEC(Euro) regulations. Here is an example:

Euro Spec - 70/387/EEC - Doors of motor vehicles:

“3.2 Hinges 3.2.1 Each hinge system shall be capable of supporting the door and withstanding a longitudinal load of 1134 kp (1111 daN) and a transverse load of 907 kp (889 daN) in both directions. “

Our ADR Text:

“The set of retention components for each door shall be capable of supporting the door and withstanding a longitudinal load of 1,111 daN and a transverse load of 889 daN, in both directions.”
Old 02-06-2011, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quote=Merv and Sharon;1107670] ...(not sure how that motor with a carb' will go in SA) ...

Hi Merv,

No carb on the engine ... no distributor or coil either ... all runs by electronic magic from the Mast Motorsport ECM!

Regards, Mike
Old 02-06-2011, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of SPF#2632
Not Ranked     

Having owned my SPF since 2007 and a forum member for as long...I really feel for our Austrailian Cobra brothers. Seems like there is regulation after regulation you have to conform too in order to enjoy a great hobby. Looking back, what I thought was a paperwork intensive process here in Michigan was a walk in the park compared to what you have to go through. Hope it works out and you still get to enjoy your cobra.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: AC427 MkIII of 2004 vintage
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Hi Trevor, Saw your cob for sale sometime ago, wondered what you might be driving these days instead? a GD?

kevin
Hi Kevin

Sorry for not getting back - had a couple of days at Lulworth Cove. I just love rain and gale-force winds!!

'My' (so-called) 427 is still for sale (!) but I no longer drive anything Cobra-shaped unless a nearly new MX5 coupe counts? I think so - just lacks a V8 but I do like folding tops (yeah - getting old) I sold the 427 and got a Porsche 3.2 Carrera but my third 911 adventure also ended in divorce - I tried but we ain't compatable.....

However, I do get some mileage with Hawks & Kirkhams and who could ask for more...? Keeps me happy.