Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2002, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Hmm, let me guess.... Fancy colour ads + pricey = CAPA!!!!

His SX fuel system parts are good value, but a lot of the rest is a bit over the top. I bought my blower in from California for half CAPA's price.

Turbos are excellent value when you compare just the compressors, but then there are wastegates and exhaust system to add to the turbo's installed price.

Most HP = turbos hands down
Easiest install = blower
Old 12-02-2002, 05:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Adam (not Andy), (Bathrone)

after looking at the calcs you sent thru on the 300KW LS1, 6 speed, Classic revival combination a blower might just be too much (if there is such a thing). 3.77 secconds 0-60MPH Yee Har!! Quater mile in 11.7 secconds Woo Hoo!!

how much is enough?

BTW Ian reckons an LS1/T56 powered Classic Revival should tip the scales a shade under 1000KG.

Cheers

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 12-02-2002 at 07:02 AM..
Old 12-02-2002, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Currently Researching
Not Ranked     

Thanks mate, actually its Adam but at past midnight things get blurry

My current plan is to find a rolled commodore, complete. A freind runs a panel shop and he knows auctions and wrecked cars. He can find me GEN III commys complete that are wrecked, but with no drivetrain damage........Sorta rolled cars and sideswiped accos. Theres lots around, and as the early LS1s are only worth 17500 to 21000 second hand wholesale, these wrecked ones are going for around 5000 $Australian.

I think I can get 350+kws with heads, manifold, PCM edit and cam work. Ill freshen up / blueprint the bottom end with bearings, new COME LS1 rods, piston rings, full balance etcetc. Head work - hollow lightweight valves exhaust sodium filled a la LS6, titanium retainers, double valve springs, lighter roller lifters, hi lift / duration cam, manifold and heat porting. Whack on a bigger MAF sensor and much bigger throttle body and custom exhaust. Change injectors and higher flow fuel pump. Get the LS1 edit right into the ECU for a custom tune. Im keeping very close tabs on all the changes GM have made to GEN III so when I rebuild it I will know all the tricks RE oil consumption and piston slap and the oil starvation hassles.

Those simulations are something arent they With *only* (hahahaha!) the stock LS6 power of 405hp in a 1000kg car..........As you can see with a T56 tremec and good diff ratio your assured under 4seconds 0-100 and quarters in the 11s.

I ditched the whole LS6 concept. New, in GM performance parts crate, currency conversion worked out at $AUS12500, and that wanst with engine ancilliaries, without ECU, without harness and did not include shipping to Australia from the USA............Ive also given up on a crate LS1 as I was qouted $AUS9500 for a complete new GEN III LS1. A LS1 which would be an entire mystery as to weather or not it was indeed a MY02 LS1 spec engine.

So, based on the research Ive done and dyno results published, its a no brainer to make 300kw and 350+kws fully streetable on Otpimax is a good goal.

On 350kws, we should see quarters in the 11.5s at a trap speed of about 200klmh. Based on what sketchy frontal area and coefficient of drag figures I could find out about, I think the top speed will be somewhere around 285klmh. Thats with a theoritical diff ratio of 4.5 which is currently my favourite.

I also found out the T56 came with a 0.79 5th and a 0.63 6th, same 2.66 1st and the all rest. This gearing suits me better. Im going to call Tremec to see if I can just swap the gears of 5 and 6 out of the commy box.

Im sure my car will be entirely humbled by Craigs monster! His car will bring a new era to the Australian tradition of mad max, the road warrior! heh
Old 12-02-2002, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry Adam,

Yes it is well past midnight, wish I could get to sleep but too many things on my mind.

I'm going with one of the new crate Camaro/Firebird LS1 motors from Eagle (Only A$6150 inc GST). These are probably the earlier generation LS1 but the money I save can be used on hop up parts later.

Cheers

Old 12-02-2002, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike I spoke with eagle. That figure you quote, I was given that price for a new crate engine, but its not complete. The price I was given, if I wanted the complete engine including inlet manifold, ignition, alternator, starter, pulleys etcetc, the wiring harness and the ECU, the quote jumped to $9500 new.

Not sure if you allready have the parts required to complete the $6500 price, just simply letting you know Mike the complete engine the qoute jumped to $9500.

Cheers
Old 12-02-2002, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Under 1000kg... I'm impressed! Jeez, I think mine will be WAY more than that. Oh well, I'd better spin that blower harder now!!!

Adam - Have you based your top speeds on running 6th gear with the 4.5:1 diff ratio? For a dedicated "top speed" effort, you'll have more torque available if you gear the car for top speed in 4th (1:1). A 4.5:1 diff would render 1st gear pretty much useless, unless of course you're planning on pulling a few tree stumps around the place!

You two need to get more sleep.... Only 5hrs sleep between messages here!?!

And another thing - I think I'm finding myself in the minority around here. There are LT1 Chev guys, LS1 chev guys, Lexus quad cammer guys, turbo guys, big block guys.... Whatever happened to the old tried and true blown small block????
Old 12-02-2002, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Craig,

Just put a couple of bow tie badges on it. Under all that blumbing no one will be able to tell the difference anyway. Besides no one would believe anything other than a Chev could make those sort of HP numbers. Let the Flaming begin!!

I'm not 100% sure how much the completed car will weigh. It's mostly speculation at this point after talking with Ian and looking at how I'm putting the car together. The Classic Revival is a light car though due in a large part to the construction techniques in the body/tub.

Adam,

The motor from Eagle was surprisingly complete. It had manifold/ throttle body, coils pulleys etc.
All it really needs is:
Clutch and flywheel kit ($800 from Holden)
Gear reduction starter ($300)
Belt tensioner ($80 from Holden)
Alternator (approx $200) though a custom bracket may be required to clear the frame rail in a Cobra.
MAF sensor (I beleieve these are deleted on the GTS 300 motors and only a MAP sensor is used).
ECU and wiring loom (I can pick up a GM ECU for arround $800 and then make my own wiring loom or buy a whole kit for around $2000)

I guess it's all getting up around the $9500 mark.

Buying a wrecked Comode for $5K would have it's advantages depending on how much of the remaining vehicle you could sell to make some of your cash back. I don't fancy having a wrecked car sitting in the back yard till I get rid of all the parts though (been there done that a few times). It's not worth the grief I'd get from my wife. For your $9500 you are getting all new parts with a 1 year 20,000KM waranty. Still the idea of parting out a wreck has some definite appeal if one could be found for the right price.

Cheers

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 12-02-2002 at 06:18 PM..
Old 12-02-2002, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

750 HP, with my Tremec T56 plan from a commy, and changing the 5th and 6th gears for ones I prefer in another T56 model, on a 4.5 diff ratio I end up with the following optimum shift points;

1st 76klmh
2nd 111klmh
3rd 151klmh
4th 196klmh
5th 249 klmh

The gearing works out well with useable 1st, and 6th gear at 110klmh will be a top cruiser freeway gear.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Driving Hersh's T56 Cobra on the interstates in the US gave me a new appreciation for the value of overdrive. I envy the fact that you'll be loping along at 110kmh while my torque convertor won't have even locked up and I'll still be doing 3000rpm+ !

You got me thinking about gear ratios. I've been looking at http://www.johnmaherracing.co.uk/gearcalc.htm It's interesting to overlay shift points with the engine's torque curve. All my current theory will end up out the window when I'm driving. The revised shift method will likely be... Engage first gear - hit throttle hard - instantly shift into top gear regardless of rpm and amount of tyre smoke - hold on...

Oh, I mean on a racetrack that is...
Old 12-04-2002, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Craig with the amount of power your engine has, I think the stratedgy might include;

1. Insert mouth gaurd to stop swolling tongue under acceleration.
2. Ensure will is in order
3. Verify that for the next ten kilometers you will not have to turn in any direction
4. At the point where the eyeballs have recinded into the darkness of ones skull, now is not a good time to consider a parachute was not an optional accessory

Old 12-05-2002, 04:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Adam....

With regards #3. Before the national Cobra club canned West Wyalong as a venue for the nationals, a top speed event was held on the local airport runway. While building this car, I had always planned on fitting a flat undertray, rear diffuser, front spoiler and a solid tonneau cover with a simple aero screen (bulge). I really wanted to see if I could hit 300kmh within 1 kilometre. Now that there are no top speed runs within the Cobra club, I'm trying to access the unused runways at Brisbane Airport. Before the legal/liability dramas of late, I had free access to these runways to help friends get their racecars sorted out. These days, it's near impossible to get the keys....

So, who's up for a drive up to the Northern Territory!!!