Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 02-25-2011, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     
Default Import or Buy New/Used?

There is a possibility of a move to down under for 3 years from the states. I have a perfect SPF I want to keep, but can't bare the thought of being without for 3 years. Should I buy an Australian Cobra when I get there or try to import my Cobra. How is the used market vs new? Would I be able to re-sell the Cobra when I leave your wonderful country? My Cobra will never meet any smog requirements. If it matters I would be near Melbourne. If I bought another Cobra I would probably keep current Cobra in deep storage.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wardl
I am in the opposite boat. I know if you can show ownership of your car for over a year you can take it in to Australia as a personal import but you would need to convert it to RH drive which can be done depends how much skill you have. The rest of the issues are straight forward if you work thorugh a good engineer. Once you get it there (will your company pay the freight) you will find the superformance is worth more in Australia than the US so it is worth taking it over then you sell it before you leave and buy another one when you get back to the US.
Maybe we swap my Harrison in Australia with your Superformance in US.
Cheers
Bruce
Old 02-25-2011, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Bruce, why would WardL need to convert to RH drive? I didn't think that was a requirement. Your absolutely right about the value, even an early SPF would fetch a lot more in Australia than in the US.

Regards.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Glad I asked! I thought it would have to meet smog requirements. If not, then it would be a good idea to bring over. I thought the UK was the only place driving on the left. Does it matter what side of the road you are on when going 100 MPH, oh, maybe 164 KPH? I consider myself a good engineer, but you must mean something different. What kind of engineer do you need? I wouldn't want to move the steering wheel to the other side. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

State road authorities out-source vehicle engineering here in Australia. I suspect one of these accredited engineers would need to inspect and pass your vehicle before a registration authority would give it rego. I dont think you want to be chopping up an SPF - if it were me and only for three years, I'd be storing your baby in the US and getting your hands on something temporary while here in Oz.

It will be worth it when you move back.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardL View Post
Glad I asked! I thought it would have to meet smog requirements. If not, then it would be a good idea to bring over. I thought the UK was the only place driving on the left. Does it matter what side of the road you are on when going 100 MPH, oh, maybe 164 KPH? I consider myself a good engineer, but you must mean something different. What kind of engineer do you need? I wouldn't want to move the steering wheel to the other side. Thanks for the info.
I would think you could import as a personal....with a limited stay of 3 yrs here you would be no different to a Camper travelling around here with an RV.
... no need to convert!!! and if you didn't qualify for that surely our Victorian 90 day club rego would be a consideration!!
You would have no doubt have to post some sort of BOND to ensure the vehicle can't be sold here and then returned with you on your departure back home!!

OZ

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-25-2011, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

I concur with OZ!
Old 02-25-2011, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You may be right about the 3 years then take back with you to US.
I have only looked at bringing one over permantley from US, then you have to change it over to RH drive and it must pass the ADR rules ie seatbelts mirriors etc, but no it does not need to meet the latest emmission requirements. It can not have side pipes however. Again this is only if you want to keep it in Australia or sell it in Australia. Warl you need to have a registered engineer to qualify it in Australia. There are many areas to search on the web, look under "personal car imports to Australia from US", then contact the transport authority in the region you intend to move to.
Good luck I would take it over as you will miss it, remember the price of petrol is a lot dearer in Australia so if it is a big block it will be expensive.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Actually i looked it up as this subject is dear to my heart. Bottom line is you can only import as a personal import if you are a permamnent resident or Australian citizen and you owned car for over 12 months in America.. You can not import as a personal import if you are a visitor. You can import under a cavant but for one year only.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Im pretty sure there is something that allows you to bring it in and drive it here as if you were on holidays. Wasnt someone talking about a lambo that does that a while back?

The best thing for you to do is call Vic roads from the US and ask them yourself. It might be a $10 phone call but well worth it to get the facts.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

Well here it is....

People travelling on Temporary Resident visas are not eligible for a Temporary Vehicle Import Approval. Temporary residents can only import vehicles under carnet. The carnet (equivalent to 100% of the market value of the vehicle) will be limited to 12 months and not the period of the visa!!!!
CARNET EXTENSIONS.....Prior to export for your 3 yrs (apply for this LOCALLY IN THE STATES) to avoid charges and GST on modifications to the initial Carnet.

Initial approval for a temporary import can only be
granted for a maximum of twelve months and in the
case of a carnet no later than the carnet expiry
date. Applications may be made to extend this
period but any extensions must be approved prior
to the expiry of the original approval.

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re...sfactsheet.pdf

http://www.aaa.asn.au/touring/bringing.htm#carnet....damn shame that!!!

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by OZCOBRA; 02-26-2011 at 05:54 AM..
Old 02-26-2011, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wasn't sure what a Carnet was so it says:
"The ATA Carnet is an international customs document that permits duty-free and tax-free temporary import of goods for up to one year. A Carnet disposes of the need for raising bonds or depositing duty at customs posts." I won't be able to go the Carnet route.

In reading, it looks like if I could find a 15 year old Cobra I could import it. Mine is registered as a 2007. Maybe if I found a car registered as a 1965 it would work. Overall it sounds very complicated. Thanks so much for all the info!
Old 02-26-2011, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

WardL

By chance are you going to be working for a government department whilst here - there is a whole different set of rules that are more lenient.

When do you arrive?
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 02-26-2011, 09:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm just applying for the job and have to go through the interview, etc. It would be fantastic to be able to spend 3 years in Australia. I like to do a lot of research before making a decision and really appreciate the local knowledge. It is not a government job. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2011, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

We have a lot of left hand drive new American cars in Alice Springs.
There is no requirement for these to be converted to R/H drive.
I do think though that the car must be taken back with you, or if left in Oz, can not be reregistered in another name.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MkIII
Not Ranked     

As i own an SPF Mk3, i know your pain. I wouldn't want to be without mine for 3 years. Depending on how much money you have to spend, you could buy another here in Oz that meets all our rules and then sell it when you leave. Cobra Technology Centre in Melbourne is the only Oz distrbutor for Superformance. I think you would be up for about $120k Au though.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Are used ones available? What is a good Australian web site? Remember, I'm just dreaming so don't spend any time on this. Thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: