Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   who to buy a kit from (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/109364-who-buy-kit.html)

beauies 02-26-2011 12:42 AM

who to buy a kit from

Hi guys,
Been pondering which cobra kit to buy for several months now, I have got my decision down to two i think.
If i was to go with say Classic Revival kit is there any compromises with their cobra kit over another builder?

thanks in advance
Beauies

Modena 02-26-2011 01:09 AM

Classic Revival and Harrison seem to be the two most popular of the last few years. In my own evaluation, I will be purchasing the CR because I like to be able to remove the body, I like the round-tube chassis, and I reckon the body looks better and is possibly stronger.

However, these are my own thoughts. Be prepared for CR owners to tell you CR's are better, and Harrison owners to tell you that Harrison's are better. In the end they're about the same all things considered I think.

beauies 02-26-2011 03:22 AM

myself, big fan of the late model VE rear end, brakes etc

DaveW 02-26-2011 04:39 AM

Hey Beauies,
Have you spoken with Ian or Warren, if not do so, and crawl over their cars.
I chose the CR in the end, love that big round tube chassis, you wont be disappointed with either,
I think the best body i've seen so far straight out of the mould would have to be the latest G-Force bodies though, but on the whole i think the CR and Harrison would be a better build ease, may depend on where you live and your abilities to finish it off.
Good luck with the decision, and buy yourself a couple of cheap airfares to go talk with them.

Dave

DaveW 02-26-2011 04:53 AM

Forgot to mention, not major, but if you go CR, be aware that there are limited RR brake options other than standard if you choose 17" wheels or less due to the rear caliper design and mounting, None of the aftermarket calipers fit without hitting the knuckle on discs less than 343 mm, and thats just a tad too big to fit 17" rims, hence Holden not fitting rear brembos to the new ve redline commodore, you can fit a custom AP caliper on a 336 disc, but you will have no handbrake as per the brute v8 utes racing class,

cheers

beauies 02-26-2011 05:07 AM

I'm Sydney base have visited Ian's factory a little while ago, and have had brief talk with Harrison.
At this stage looking at going the more modern look in regards to bigger rims, but saying that not excessively big. Had around 18inch in mind but need to find something in the required rim width.

Merv and Sharon 02-26-2011 01:03 PM

There was an almost identical thread a few months ago:

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/show...light=Harrison

Zedn 02-26-2011 01:25 PM

from what i hear there is i limitation on being able to run a deep dish. My wheels have about 6" of dish on them before the centres. I dont think that can be achieved on the CR. If you like that sort of thing.

beauies 02-26-2011 01:27 PM

[quote=Merv and Sharon;1112388]There was an almost identical thread a few months ago:

Thanks have had a look through, some interesting comments there

BMK 02-26-2011 02:09 PM

beauies

Good luck with your search.

Hope to see you start soon. The Forum here is an ideal source of current information so stay onboard..%/

Bernie

Merv and Sharon 02-26-2011 02:36 PM

The Harrison gives plenty of wheel options. See Wazzas car.

sambo 02-26-2011 02:59 PM

I like the idea of a round tube chassis, but isn't square tube more practical for mounting accessories, seats, panels, etc? ie, flat versus curved mounting surface.

beauies 02-26-2011 03:08 PM

After visiting CR workshop everything seems to be already plated up to the chassis for seats, hand brake, harnesses, battery holder etc etc

Modena 02-26-2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sambo (Post 1112410)
I like the idea of a round tube chassis, but isn't square tube more practical for mounting accessories, seats, panels, etc? ie, flat versus curved mounting surface.

all the mounting points for major items such as you mention, are already in place on the chassis.

Baz 02-26-2011 03:36 PM

Beauies,

I note that you live in Sydney. Do yourself a big favour and forget the build. Buy a good second hand Cobra which has NSW rego. You'll be a long way in front financially and will have a lot more hair left than you would have if you elected to build the car.

Experience speaks heaps. I commenced my build 3 1/2 years ago. My car has been ready for over 12 months and I'm still waiting for my final inspection. I'm far poorer than before I started the build and bald as a badger. That's my two bob's worth. Take it or leave it, but as your a NSW redsident, I would be taking it.

Baz

Zedn 02-26-2011 03:59 PM

Good advice from Baz.

I would at least hold off doing anything until you see that ICVs start passing rego again in NSW (none in the last 12 months). The system is in a real mess at the moment, engineers dont want to be a part of it and builders cant comply with it.

I am waiting to see what happens with the new scheme and if its not positive i am stripping everything off the chassis and selling the basic body and chassis. All the parts will then be used on a 34 ford or similar. That is if hot rods can still be registered.

beauies 02-26-2011 04:01 PM

Baz, i have read your experiences, with the engineer.
Going through same sort of thing with my falcon at the moment with emission testing, cant find a dam vapor leak which it keeps failing for. Failed four times so far.
If all else fails i will register car in another state.

Baz, question about that plaque on your dash board in regards to ADRs, who required that was it your engineer covering his ass or the rta?

gjkrv8 02-26-2011 04:07 PM

Beauies,

I have the current round tube CR chassis and can confirm the mounting points are all there already. Even the harness points. Regarding dish on the rear wheels, you get about 4 inches. looks ok. The underbody exhaust is a bit of a challenge but a good exhaust guy would figure it out. Having the inner guards, footwells and tunnel all done as part of the body I thought was quite good as I registered mine prior to doing the interior and exterior paint etc.

In the end though, as Baz has said, it adds up to nought if you cant register it.

Good luck, I hope the NSW ICV enigneering and registration process gets cleared up soon as it appears to be pretty screwed at present.

Rgds

Gregg

Merv and Sharon 02-26-2011 04:56 PM

Baz - has a good point. If I was in NSW now I would be looking at one of the many good cars for sale and buying that. On can re-furbish it and personalise it afterwards and probably still be financially at break even point. And the bonus is you get to drive it sooner!

beauies 02-26-2011 05:08 PM

Not many for sale in NSW, most of them are pre 2000.

If i was going to buy a second had one i would want one no older than 2005.

Couple of nice examples in Qld for sale for around $60,000 - $70,000