Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Dave's Classic Revival Cobra CR3514

Thought it was time to create the start thread to my build.
Not much to report since bringing the cob home, other than I've made myself a dolly so i can move it around, started collecting and cleaning / re coating some suspension drive train bits and pieces, but mainly focused on getting "THE SHED" up to scratch.

Learn't my lesson restoring the Fergie you see in some of my pics,

So in goes the concrete floor,
Gents turned up yesterday, leveled the floor, dug a footing pit for the hoist, layed some plastic liner, and installed the reo,
[IMG][/IMG]

Cobby sits under a tree for a few days, concrete goes in tomorrow.

The VW is my 14 YO sons project, hes turning it into a bush basher, so far hes reco'd the brakes and cut the bum off it, the boot lid comes off next along with the doors, and then its roll cage building time, great experience for him.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Looking good Dave. Is that an ultra light plane there as well?

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Where's Dave man.

Looks good Dave, a concrete slab floor is much nicer than crawling around in the dirt

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Hi Dave,

I am having shed-envy with all of these big sheds going up lately.

It was great to catch up at the club meeting last night.

See you soon

Rgds

Gregg
Old 03-03-2011, 04:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     

Merv, yes, Pegasus Quantum Microlight in the background,

Gregg, had a ball last night, great catching up with you, Aussie Mike, Lobelly and Peter.

Some pics of the body below,
Check out the new steering column outlet into the engine bay, any body else"s like this ?
definitely not like this in the manual.

Body moulding looks pretty good actually, but the drivers door fit and mould is crappy, will need a lot of work

Last edited by DaveW; 03-03-2011 at 04:38 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-03-2011, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Hi Dave, Yes that is the new better outlet for the steering shaft etc. Phil (who you also met) has the same on his CR body. Phil's doors are also like you pictured. I looked at old pictures of mine beofre painting and mine didnt seem to have that gap you showed. More bog I suppose :-) Rgds Gregg
Old 03-03-2011, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

Use a heat gun on the fibreglass and place a wedge of wood under it, make it sit a little proud and let it cool over night.
I used this method to straighten out my sill on the R/H side.

You wont get it spot on first go. but over a few days you will.

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Great improvement with the steering shaft exiting in the right place. As far as the door alignment goes, your car looks perfect. When mine arrived the door on the drivers side was fairly flush on the dash end but sat up 25mm on the latch side. To fix it my glassman had to expose the 50mm square tube/fixing plate that the sticker attaches to, remove it, cut it of from the metal plate that bolts on the floor that comes fibreglassed in, shorten as needed, reweld and re fibreglass in. As well as this the curved section behind the drivers seat was nearly flush with the body that runs over the back wall of the cockpit then curves down. My guy had to cut the curved section behind the seat into 10mm stripes from top to 3/4 down, spread them at the top to get some overhang to hide the carpet edge that would be installed later, then reglass everything back together. Don't get me going.
DaveW please keep posting pictures, we love to see how your going!

Regards.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3508 6Litre LS2
Not Ranked     

Dave,
I've got chassis #3508 (2 years old) and mine has the steering shaft as per the manual with bracket fitted to the footbox, I like the style of yours much better, takes a bit of the load out of the steering knuckle I guess and will probably help when fitting the exhaust headers etc.
Door fit???
Did somebody get doors that fit??
Other than that the rest of the body appears okay, starting to notice a few air bubbles showing but better to get them now before paint goes on (long way off yet).

Dennis
Old 03-04-2011, 03:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

I thought that CR and Harrison were pretty much the same on these issues? I really had no problems with door alignment with the Harrison. Maybe I was lucky. The steering wheel on the Harrison should be set more to the left however, and exit much like the photo above.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DaveW, does your car do without the unijoint that comes on the end of the steering shaft? The guy that did some of the fabrication on my car removed that joint and extended the shaft by welding a splined rod about 150mm long so it exits the footwell in 1 piece. My setup only has 2 unijoints.

Regards.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's a good question Mando,
Not sure, the manual is based on the steps you just mentioned with the uni-joint,
exiting out the side suggests the steering column is either cocked over to the left a bit, moved to the left a lot, or has a uni and the shaft heads straight to the rack. I'm going to the shed to watch concrete dry now, so I'll stick my head in the cob and take a look at the column mounting....Back soon

Last edited by DaveW; 03-04-2011 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: bla bla bla
Old 03-05-2011, 12:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Does the newer round tube chassis cars still use Barina/Swift steering colomn?
If the same then I reckon you will have to keep the steering uni at the colomn to give the angle toward the new hole location.

Cruising in 5th

Old 03-05-2011, 01:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave,
Yes the round tube chassis/body kit does use the Barina/Suzuki column, that is unless Ian has changed it recently with this new outlet to the side of the footbox, Dave W's manual should tell us more if this has changed.
Ole farts like me don't like change but this setup looks like it may be good, machine up a alum or stainless bulkhead mount with bearing and fit a rubber boot and your done.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mando,
Just looked at your pics above, you've already done the bulkhead mount, looks neat.
Sorry Dave W, I just have to ask this, Mando, what upper "A" arms have you used on your front end, looks like they're adjustable in the 2nd pic.

Dennis
Old 03-05-2011, 02:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

the round tube chassis still uses the barina/swift column, and from talking to Ian this is because he has been unable to find any other option (I assume specifically a newer option) with a coweling small enough to fit inside the cockpit space. Round tube chassis also uses VP Dunnydoor PS rack I think.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yep, still uses the barina / swift column, which im having difficulty locating at the moment, any ideas on wreckers in melbourne,

Yep, uses the VP power steering rack, full reco's available for about $210

Here's a pic of the firewall steering shaft outlet from the foot well, definitely would require the uni to exit out through the molding.

Dave
Old 03-05-2011, 03:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Strida, the upper arms are from Factory Five Racing. They're fantastic, the only modification they need is to either machine up a new mounting plate that would bolt onto the CR frame, or grind of the mounting plate on the chassis and weld on a new one. I bought mine from Doug Pearce in Melbourne because he supplies them with a tapered ferule that's needed to use the Jag balljoint. It was a little dearer but at that stage of the build I couldn't be bothered solving one more problem.

Regards.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
Yep, still uses the barina / swift column, which im having difficulty locating at the moment, any ideas on wreckers in melbourne,

Yep, uses the VP power steering rack, full reco's available for about $210

Dave
Hi Dave, When I was searching for some Brake Fluid Reservoir Float Switches that are in the Barina/Swift I found a few at Pick a Part in Montrose. Each of the cars seemed to have steering racks in them.

Rgds

Gregg
Old 03-06-2011, 02:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Damn Gregg, i was there the other day, didn't even think to see if they had Barina/Swifts, usually old Holdens and Fords
too busy hunting down commy parts, but they dont have anything after 2000
I'll pop over the hill and have a sticky.

Thanks for that,

On a another note, started moving back into the shed today, floor is spectacularly smooth, I'll leave vehicles out for another day or two.