Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 10:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     
Default Different Kits - resale

What do we all think about the resale value of various kits?

Here is a list of what is on Carsales\unique carsales at the mo:

WA 2010 G-Force - $110000
NSW 2008??? Harrison - $79500
QLD 2002 Classic Revival - $76500
QLD 2009 BDM - $68500 (By design)
VIC 1997 DRB - $53000
QLD 2000 DRB - $53500
QLD 2000 DRB - $68000
QLD 1995 DRB - $45000
QLD1997 DRB - $59000
VIC 1988 DAX - $50000

A couple of things jump out:

Lots of DRB's for sale
Lots of QLD cars for sale
Has #7 only been around since 2008?
Newer generation kit (CR, Har, BDM) tends to = higher advertised price (or is it just the year?)
Older car = lower resale (obvious - but I wouldnt have thought it was as significant as it appears to be given a 2010 car looks much like a 2000)

Thoughts?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

"Has #7 only been around since 2008?"

Hmm, I seem to recollect owning that particular car well before 2008..And OzVenom may even remember owning that car before me!

Perhaps it only feels 3 years old!!
Old 03-08-2011, 10:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

DRB is probably the most prolific kit in Australia so statistically there should be more changing hands.

The price on Carsales doesn't tell us what they are actually selling for, just what the seller is hoping for.

I think a lot of the prices by year may relate more to what it may have cost the owner to build the car. Back in the 90's you could build one and get it on the road for a lot less than you can now.

Cheers

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 03-08-2011 at 11:01 PM..
Old 03-08-2011, 11:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1965 registered Brushed Kirkham polished stripes, 427 FE kieth craft 482 efi.ss chassis and all the go gear .
Not Ranked     

[quote=Tenrocca;1114849]What do we all think about the resale value of various kits?

Here is a list of what is on Carsales\unique carsales at the mo:

WA 2010 G-Force - $110000

Hi Guys,

Is a G-force car worth that much ??

I know nothing about them, was considering selling my 1968 titled Arntz for that sort of money.

Soul.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Does look a good build - That is unpainted too though, but only 1000km on the clock. Worth more without the stupid plates - "sik cobra"
Old 03-09-2011, 01:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BBF 545 Stroker Alloy Heads Roller Cam Aluminium Flywheel Twin plate Clutch TKO600 9inch Independent Rear 335x17 Rear 315x17 Front 1140kg
Not Ranked     

You all know there are Cobras and Cobras ....everyone builds their pride and joy but in the end if you are penny pinching when you build your car it will be reflected in the market value.... I dont think you can compare the brands for resale you have to look at the quality of the build and the dollars spent.....
Old 03-09-2011, 01:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force MkII, Ford 429, Tremec TKO, Jag Suspension, Sequential LPG Injection, On The Road.
Not Ranked     

I would guess that it's a turn-key job and the price is reflecting that,
It's going to be an expensive build once the paint, interior, bumpers etc. are sorted.
Tenrocca, couldn't agree with you more about the plates.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-460 View Post
You all know there are Cobras and Cobras ....everyone builds their pride and joy but in the end if you are penny pinching when you build your car it will be reflected in the market value.... I dont think you can compare the brands for resale you have to look at the quality of the build and the dollars spent.....
I totally agree. The variation in build quality, design and parts used will make a huge difference. For example if you build a great car but it is bright pink with yellow interior it is not going to appeal to many. But if its silver, black, blue etc with a black, or plain interior its going to be more desirable to people. Same with how it is built.

To be honest im not sure the actual brand of kit will make as much difference as the way it is build. Unless its one of those toyota crown jobs but thats a different story.

My dream car probably is not some one elses dream car. But thats the great thing about building your own car.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

When mine was on eBay last year, I did not even get an offer at the $50k start price.
2010 complied (in NT) Classic Revival, 5.7 gen III, 6 speed manual, no shiny paint.

I think alot will depend on currency climate.
Might be another couple of years before the market gets moving at higher prices again.

But then again, maybe mine is a $hit fighter?
Since it cost so little to build.............

IMHO Throwing money at something, doesnt always make it beter.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

I recently had a couple of blokes ring me to discuss cobra's and values.

One was looking to buy, the other - a workshop owner - looking to build to sell.

Neither were in the Cobra 'scene'

In the case of the one looking to buy I think the brand did make a difference, he was looking at a Robnell which IMHO would qualify as a premium cobra in the Australian market. Even though the kit was a bit older (1988/82k from memory) it was not that much more than a lot of cars priced like the ones mentioned above - but looked to be in great condition. We talked about various kits but the guy (who had/has a number of portia) knew of Robnell and had a positive impression of them.

The build to sell guy was asking questions like "What could I get for ...." / "What if it had..." / "How much does it cost to..."
It was almost as if he'd just realised that if you bought a kit and could get 65K for it (there were few priced under that amt at the time) and it cost you less than that to build (expected to spend about 40-45k) then you'd make money (!) And he could do it.

I said to him that educated buyers would have an idea about the comparitive starting price of the kits/brands and that unless he could establish himself as a premium builder he'd have trouble over coming that starting point in terms of resale value compared to others available at the time - I think this is true.

(that is not to say that an expensive base kit always turns into a valuable car)

LoBelly
Old 03-09-2011, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think the BDM is actually the guys DRB. I was in the workshop (which is either gone or moved now) a while back and this looks very much like the one he had inside...in front of his DRB540. As an aside, has anyone got a BDM Cobra on the road?
Old 03-09-2011, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival 3506
Not Ranked     

Doesnt it boil down to what the buyer is willing to pay ???
Old 03-09-2011, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Yep, I agree.
It is definitly a buyers market. The quality would need to be high in order to draw big dollars.